Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can jet's cannons rip through Helos and Tanks in reality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can jet's cannons rip through Helos and Tanks in reality?

Jets drove me crazy today on Gulf, I was playing with a MEC helo, and they were "hot knifing" through me like in seconds.

I don't really have much of an experience in real life armor and stuff, can the real jet cannons tear through helos that easily?

Re: Can jet's cannons rip through Helos and Tanks in reality?

Helicopters: Most definitely.

Tanks: It wont rip through them, but it would damage them, possibly severely depending on the caliber and tank armor thickness.

Comment

im guessing so. i mean jet cannon rounds i think are pretty big

heres something from wikipedia about the A10 Thunderbolts (btw which are mainly for attacking ground targets)

Although the A-10 can carry a considerable weight of disposable stores, its primary built-in weapon is the 30 mm GAU-8/A Avenger Gatling gun. One of the most powerful aircraft cannons ever flown, it fires large depleted uranium armor-piercing shells at a rate of about 3,900 rounds per minute (50 rounds per second during the first second, 70 rounds per second thereafter). The massive shells and high muzzle velocity allow the Thunderbolt II to destroy heavily armored main battle tanks with as few as six direct hits. The gun is accurate as well, being capable of placing 80% of its shots within a 20-foot wide circle from a distance of 1 mile while the aircraft is in flight.

Comment

Originally posted by ConscriptVirus View Post
        im guessing so. i mean jet cannon rounds i think are pretty big

heres something from wikipedia about the A10 Thunderbolts (btw which are mainly for attacking ground targets)
        that guns a beast. ive heard that if it were to continue firing (without overheating, and infinite ammunition) it could actually overthrow the power of the engines and put the plane in reverse.

but yeah think about it, a jet going 400 mph firing huge rounds at a helicopter, who knows how fast and powerful those rounds are. If you think about it, if one hits a rotor, and damages one blade, then its balance will be completely off, and the rotors spinning that fast would just spin the helo way out of control.

Comment

None of the aircraft in the game have a cannon which would be able to deal massive amounts of damage to any modern tank.

J-10: 23mm
          F-35: (Internal or external) 25mm
          Mig-29: 30mm
          F/A-18: 20mm
          F-15: 20mm
          Su-30: 30mm
          Su-34: 30mm

The Russian made aircraft all sport the largest cannons while the almighty J-10 has a relatively small caliber main gun. So no, in my opinion, the nose cannons of the aircraft in the game should NOT be able to deal substantial damage to any armored vehicle.

However, helicopters, even the AH-64, are still fairly lightly armored, so even the small caliber weapons on the F/A-18 and F-15 would pose a danger to most helicopters.

Also, the reason the Warthog's cannon is so effective against armor is mainly because of the depleted uranium slugs it fires..which are more dense than the vast majority of materials used to make armor plating on tanks and such.

Comment

Uhh yea, Dude think about it, the cannons on most American Jets are 20mm, the cannon on a Bradley fighting vehicle is 25mm and the rounds that things spits out knock holes the size of car tires in buildings.

Comment

The Bradley is also an armored personnel carrier, not an anti-armor vehicle. It's cannon is more of a defensive tool than an offensive weapon. For anti-armor capability (i.e. main battle tanks), it has a twin tube TOW launchers since the 25mm cannon is ineffective against armor.

Comment

When it comes to the helicopter part...well I don't even wanna' think about that.

Only takes one bullet in the right place.

Pick up "Firebirds" by Chuck Carlock. Great book. There's some good excerpts any pilot can learn from. The best first person account of helicopter combat in Vietnam ever written.

Comment

Originally posted by SharpShooter View Post
                  Jets drove me crazy today on Gulf, I was playing with a MEC helo, and they were "hot knifing" through me like in seconds.

I don't really have much of an experience in real life armor and stuff, can the real jet cannons tear through helos that easily?
                  BF2 is not meant to be realistic, it is an arcadey game.

Comment

an A-10 deffinsaly could but bf2 is so far off from reality. It would be nicer if it was a bit more realisticbut not as much as PR.

Comment

Originally posted by Neptune View Post
                      but yeah think about it, a jet going 400 mph firing huge rounds at a helicopter, who knows how fast and powerful those rounds are. If you think about it, if one hits a rotor, and damages one blade, then its balance will be completely off, and the rotors spinning that fast would just spin the helo way out of control.

Don't understimate the survivability of a military chopper. Those blades are designed to survive tree/bird strikes and still get home.

We use old 212's around here for heli-skiing, and a few years back one lost power on takeoff on the side of the mountain. The blades mashed pretty hard into the side of the hill on the way down, but the pilot recovered and flew it in for a safe landing.

Examination of the blades afterwards showed the last couple of feet were total spaggetti. Useless for lift, but the bird still handled well enough.

But of course, multiple hits by a large caliber canon sure has the potential to down a chopper fast.

Comment

Oh I love the A10...best attack plane ever made.

In real life it can rip through armor like a knife through melting butter.

But we are in BF2 so who knows...

Comment

Yup real life cannons will easly make a large hole in armor. Just look up ww2 fighters with cannons they are so succesful they expload and make a large hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Monkmonkman View Post
                            BF2 is not meant to be realistic, it is an arcadey game.
                            Yes I know, and I love that it's arcady, I think BF2 is a perfect mix of realism and arcade.

But, I was just wondering about the reality, Thanks everyone for replies.

Comment

Yeah well now you know no tank can't resist airplane guns

Although it depends on the plane...

So hop in an A10 "Tank Killer" and 8 bullets (sometimes 10) will kill it

Comment

Working...
                              X