My College Essay on Battlefield 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My College Essay on Battlefield 2

Hello everyone, our Language Arts class assignment is to write a process essay, here is mine, please tell me what you think.

How to: Master Battlefield 2
    “Have you ever had to hold off a whole platoon of enemies to sustain a trickle of reinforcements? I have.”
    @ April 26, 2007
    How to Master Battlefield 2
    The American War Machine thunders northeast across the dry, hard desert to take the city of Jalalabad, Afghanistan from a coalition of Middle Eastern forces. As part of the US spearhead, I organize my squad of 6 men and command them to head east to secure a strategic point along the outskirts of Jalalabad, where additional reinforcements can be called in. With foreboding silence we trek across the desert, nearing our objective hill, until finally, ahead of me, I see about twenty of our men run over the hill’s crest and spot the enemy –a whole platoon of them- scrambling among sand-colored boulders and shacks to take defensive positions. We open fire. I raise the crosshairs of my M16 onto an enemy’s chest, 100 yards away, steadily tracking him and squeezing off rounds. After being hit by 4 of 5 rounds that I fire, he falls. The ground around our opponents erupts in dust, and we receive return fire. To our right we’ve been flanked by opponent(s) hurling grenades at our position, so we hurl grenades in return. An explosion of sound washes over us, the air quivers with gunfire, and we feel reverberations of grenades exploding all around us.

Have you ever had to hold off a whole platoon of enemies to sustain a trickle of reinforcements? I have – in Battlefield 2, the online first-person-shooter computer game, that is.
    To succeed in Battlefield 2 requires the abilities to drop enemies left and right, suppress opponents with a barrage of grenades, revive downed teammates, employ strategies such as pushing the opponent’s back with sheer force or flanking undefended areas, sniping, and targeting enemies. I’ll provide a how-to guide that will teach you everything you need to know to become a superior Battlefield 2 player.

Are you familiar with online computer games? They include role-playing games where you build up a character, strategy games where you destroy your enemy’s base, and first person shooters where you shoot at anything in sight. In fact, online games have become so popular and competition so fierce that there are tournaments across the world in which gamers compete for thousands of dollars in cash and sponsorships. To emerge on top of such a wide player base and such competition, a player naturally develops routines, or if he is smart, he uses his head to come up with drills that improve his weakest areas in short amounts of time. The particular game I am addressing, Battlefield 2, is a modern warfare first person shooter in which up to 64 players play on 2 opposing teams, capturing strategic points on the map and killing enemies to reduce the enemy’s reinforcements to 0 to win.

Keyboard Bindings: First, change the game controls so that the places on the keyboard where your fingers naturally rest are controls for the most commonly used actions. By doing this, the most common actions are readily and easily executed rather than having to stretch your fingers to hit the right key. For example, go into the keyboard options, change spacebar (where your thumb rests) to move backwards (this is called “binding” the key to an action), the side mouse button to sprint, the other side mouse button to jump, and left shift (where your pinky rests) to prone position, V to crouch, and reverse the left and right mouse buttons so the middle, stronger finger will click right mouse to fire. With customized controls, your fingers won’t be tired and stressed, and you’ll have much greater control of your character.

Appreciate Vision: To understand how easy it is to die, play your first game as a rifleman and note how many times you’re killed by an opponent that you don’t even see. So start out by being a sniper and just look around at all the places where an opponent could hit you from. Note that more powerful scopes can see farther distances, even into the haze where only an enemy’s silhouette, which can be hit, is visible. Use cover, especially as a sniper, to look at only a limited portion of area at a time, which exposes less of you at a time and limits the area you need to scan for enemies.

Getting a feel for the flow of the game: At first it may seem like you run into opponents at random, but remember that the source of opponents are the strategic points; so glance at your minimap to see where major confrontations are or where the likely enemy sources are. Often the two forces lock themselves in huge firefight, which provides an opportunity to flank the opponent to get a better firing position and/or to take unguarded points. The more populous the area, the greater the chances of you running into an enemy or having a random grenade land at your feet, the more you should concentrate to be ready for encounters, the more kills you can make by waiting for opponents to appear rather than seeking them, and the more kills you can make as a grenadier.

Drills: Drills are the best way to increase skill. Make your own. There are 2 rules of drills. 1:They must be able to be repeated very frequently, without breaks between each repetition. 2: Simplify a process into a step which can be repeated at a 100% success rate, then add another step and repeat until a 100% success rate is achieved, and so on. For example, if you’d like to create a drill to target enemies, change positions (to avoid fire), and fire accurately at the same time: 1. Change fluidly between standing, crouched, and prone. 2. Do step one while keeping the crosshairs perfectly placed on a mark on the wall, pretending it’s the enemy’s head 3. Do the previous steps while firing as fast as you can while maintaining accuracy, also adjusting to recoil 4. Look around and choose a random spot/object to simulate spotting an enemy, then do the previous steps. 5. Combine the previous steps and sprinting to relocate (as if to avoid an opponent’s incoming fire).

Battlefield 2 is a novel game. Just like anything else, there’s a lot to it if you’re one to think about it. The contents of this essay are some of the many things you can think about.

For more information on Battlefield 2, consult the following sources:
    “Battlefield 2.” Wikipedia. 26 April 2007. < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefield_2>.
    Total Battlefield 2. 26 April 2007. < http://www.totalbf2.com/>.

Re: My College Essay on Battlefield 2

you wrote a college essay on your experiences in a video game...

bet your a hit with the women

It was well written though!

Comment

"suppress opponents with a barrage of grenades"

Lollerskates.

Comment

yeah its not bad, but in my own experience, i get bad grades whenever i writeabout a game even if its well written.

Comment

I write at my uni about the game industry future, and it does get me good marks, just have to reference good, not only yourself.

Comment

Kinda' crazy you're writing a college essay about a video game...

I hope that's not the whole thing. There's like 7 little paragraphs.
            What kinda' college do you go to?

You need to get laid! Or pick a better topic!

Comment

Is it Rhetoric 100-something? Is it creative writing?

My only constructive criticism is to include the online computer games, Keyboard Bindings, Appreciate Vision, flow of the game, and, Drills in the thesis.

Right now your thesis is: I’ll provide a how-to guide that will teach you everything you need to know to become a superior Battlefield 2 player.

Either add some information about the upcoming paragraphs, like: I’ll provide a how-to guide covering online games, controls, perspective, feel of the game and drills that will teach you everything you need to know to become a superior Battlefield 2 player.

Or add another sentence after: I’ll provide a how-to guide that will teach you everything you need to know to become a superior Battlefield 2 player. This guide will provide you with information about... desribe those paragraphs in 1 or 2 words each.

:edit:
              Oh and remeber to say the thesis in your conclusion. Re-write it in other words, obviously. Put it near the beginning of the conclusion (2nd or 3rd sentence).

Comment

Originally posted by AncientSerpent3 View Post

You need to get laid! Or pick a better topic!
                Wow and this from a guy that visits a video game forum and probably plays video games. Maybe you should listen to yoiur own advice.

Originally posted by Rock_FU View Post
                you wrote a college essay on your experiences in a video game...

bet your a hit with the women

It was well written though!
                I bet you are a hit with the women also from looking at the time you spent playing BF2. Over 1500 hours huh.

Comment

Originally posted by Stilla-Killa View Post
                  Wow and this from a guy that visits a video game forum and probably plays video games. Maybe you should listen to yoiur own advice.

I bet you are a hit with the women also from looking at the time you spent playing BF2. Over 1500 hours huh.

hahah couldnt said it better myeslf

Comment

that is college standard composition???
                    a 12 year old would be expected to write that, not a 3rd level student

Comment

^ It's probably a basic level course like Rhetoric 101. Then again, it's almost the end of the semester... you raise a concerning point.

Comment

Common, were is the level of education these days.

First the subject, a video game. Then, the writing style...

This is silly .

Comment

Am i the only person who is not reading that?

Comment

well i read about 4 lines.........and i feel like i absolutely hafta play right now....lol

makes me wanna play.....but i get that anytime i read on these forums here....lol

ok im going to refrain from playing, and imma finish the reading...

Comment

Actually, I've a mate - Iain Simons, based in Nottingham - who supports his family writing about video games, among other game-based activities. So the idea of an essay on one is entirely valid. In fact - some go so far to say that video games are the 11th artform (after the likes of .... epic poetry? WTF?).

Anyway. Full marks for trying, and this is a good place to seek criticism. Although, I have to say, the standard of grammar and spelling here is no indicator of quality. (Ahem!)

But you broke the Big Rule of any essay, regardless of content.
                              • Say what you're going to say
                              • Say it
                              • Say what you said

That little cliche got me through my O and A-levels, degree and MBA.

Lastly (gasp!) - on the topic of gaming and women - there are plenty of women gamers out there. Mostly ones who can roll a perfect Camberwell Carrot 9 times out of 10.

I once worked at the infamous Games Workshop (I'm an old Chaosium diehard), and there were loads - and they were even allowed to contribute to product development meetings! It was amazin'!

So good luck with your studies, and we're all looking forward to seeing what grade you get for the project!

Comment

Working...
                              X