Jets make up for artillery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jets make up for artillery?

I was playing a bit today and as I kept being raped left and right by jets that would swoop down and bomb randomly, I had some serious thoughts about something:

Is it just me, or do jets almost make up for artillery? Honestly, they take out every important armored vehicle in nearly one hit, can take out multiple vehicles with just a couple of bombs, and can drop just a couple of bombs and blow up like 10+ infantry as if it's a walk in the park.

It's bad enough that I can't hop in a tank, APC, or even JEEP without being hit by some nut who's flying all over the place, bombing me to hell and flying away without having so much as a scratch. (Honestly, do jets ever have anything to worry about besides other jets? AA is literally nonexistant for these things, it appears.) I love it when I'm in a jeep flying down a road, when suddenly I see machine gun bullets coming from the sky, almost serving as a predecessor to the bombing and laughing in my face. "Hahaha, here come the bombs! See if you can get away from this, chump! Man, I love racking up on points! Nothin' like it!"

Of course, friendly jets are always there to shoot down the enemy jets - but do they ever? It never seems so for me. The enemy jets are always there. Always in the sky, bombing everywhere. Always.

But it's EVEN WORSE that I'm faced constantly with yet another danger: artillery and the all-knowing, all-seeing commander who can target enemy locations and send down artillery blasts on his own, racking up huge points and not being so much as scratched in the process.

These are two deadly foes that almost literally CAN'T be dealt with. You can't deal with jets on the ground - they're simply too fast; AA only works if they're stupid enough to sit around, circling low around an area. You also can't deal with a commander, who hides like a coward back in his base, flinging the "artillery shells of death" down on your forces and racking up huge points without taking so much as a bite from a flee.

Ok, I've gone in several different directions with this thread .. I guess I just want to explain my frustration with being constantly bombed and hit by artillery barrages: both of which are mostly inescapable.

Re: Jets make up for artillery?

Most competent jet pilots generally have had so much fun in jets that none of them look back at the 1000+ hours wasted on them as... well, wasted hours.

I know I dont. Jets are just too damn fun. And if youre playing them all the time, you will have a skill level at which you take their efficiency to the max. Which is why theres a bunch of pilots out there, far too many for the games own good, that are just so skilled.

And you can take down jets with STA sites. Thats just not that easy. Not that simple. And it shouldnt be.

Comment

We've had this discussion before around here, and beleive me, you can totally suppress the air power on Most maps with 2 or three well coordinated AAA sites.

2 relatively experienced guys in the STA are usually enough, and if you throw a mobile linebacker in the mix, game over pilots.

I am no expert, but I'm very competant in the jet, and extremely competant in the STA. With a good partner across the map, we have completely shut down the enemies air power. And when that happens, you almost guarantee a win.

Guys have no problem acknowledging that a two-three vehicle armored convoy is best for survivability, but they still think a single STA site should be the end-all for jets.

Coverage, saturation, and persistence are key to a successful AAA strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by 2nd-Irish
        We've had this discussion before around here, and beleive me, you can totally suppress the air power on Most maps with 2 or three well coordinated AAA sites.

2 relatively experienced guys in the STA are usually enough, and if you throw a mobile linebacker in the mix, game over pilots.

I am no expert, but I'm very competant in the jet, and extremely competant in the STA. With a good partner across the map, we have completely shut down the enemies air power. And when that happens, you almost guarantee a win.

Guys have no problem acknowledging that a two-three vehicle armored convoy is best for survivability, but they still think a single STA site should be the end-all for jets.

Coverage, saturation, and persistence are key to a successful AAA strategy.
        VERY well said Irish.

Comment

jets are EASY to avoid.
          dont get in a tank, dont stay near a tank, move away from busy areas e.t.c

artilary however, yea its very very gay, the commander option as a whole is awefull and does indeed remove the fun and stealth from the game. you can bet everytime u try to sneak somewhere that the magical scanner picks you up and 5 enemies come after you.

what can you do about it? whine on a forum?, whine at ea to change it?(they wont) or play smarter ?

Comment

well, it sucks for pubs and lone wolfs. as its been said time and time again, teamwork can overcome most obsticles.

Don't get me wrong, I feel your pain. There's been many a time I've been in Daqing and that darn SU-30 bomber is hitting me every time I get in a moving vehicle. I mean, it like this:

I spawn, look in the sky, all directions. see no jet, hear no get. I walk over to the FAV. I look up again, all directions. See no jet, hear no jet. Press M, no jet spotted. I look again, 3rd time, no jet to be found. I get in car, hit the gas to go to a flag. 3 seconds later, BOOOOOOM, I'm blown to smithereens by that damn bomber. Respawn at a different base 15 seconds later, check the air. don't see that darn jet. get in FAV, trying to haul *** as fast as I can. 2 seconds later, BOOOOOOOOOOOOM, annihlilated by that damn SU-30? What are my pilots doing? Why aren't they taking out this damn SU-30 that seems to have my #.

Like I said, I feel u man. I've been there. I agree though, a coordinated effort in the AA and AAV may take down those greedy air monkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by SirCyRo-iNT
              well, it sucks for pubs and lone wolfs. as its been said time and time again, teamwork can overcome most obsticles.

Don't get me wrong, I feel your pain. There's been many a time I've been in Daqing and that darn SU-30 bomber is hitting me every time I get in a moving vehicle. I mean, it like this:

I spawn, look in the sky, all directions. see no jet, hear no get. I walk over to the FAV. I look up again, all directions. See no jet, hear no jet. Press M, no jet spotted. I look again, 3rd time, no jet to be found. I get in car, hit the gas to go to a flag. 3 seconds later, BOOOOOOM, I'm blown to smithereens by that damn bomber. Respawn at a different base 15 seconds later, check the air. don't see that darn jet. get in FAV, trying to haul *** as fast as I can. 2 seconds later, BOOOOOOOOOOOOM, annihlilated by that damn SU-30? What are my pilots doing? Why aren't they taking out this damn SU-30 that seems to have my #.

Like I said, I feel u man. I've been there. I agree though, a coordinated effort in the AA and AAV may take down those greedy air monkeys.
              thats cos CRAP pilots are wasting the better air vehicles as usual

Comment

Jets are mobile artillery.

And mobile anti-infantry.

And mobile anti-tank

And mobile anti-air

And mobile anti anti-air

And mobile anti-Raidyr

Comment

meh jets are fun, i only fly, unless im IO, i fly, day in, day out, i watch, i learn, i kill, i die, but i still fly,
                  B!TCHES
                  ahahah

Comment

I don't like bombing, if I'm going to fly I try my hardest to grab the fighter for whatever side I'm playing and use it solely to take enemy jets down. I find dogfighting much more of an art than just dump bombs, go to base, dump bombs, go to base, repeat. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by raidyr
                      Jets are mobile artillery.

And mobile anti-infantry.

And mobile anti-tank

And mobile anti-air

And mobile anti anti-air

And mobile anti-Raidyr
                      Sad but true. :cry:

That's the thing about Battlefield 1942 - the anti-air was a lot better on there from what I remember. The planes were slow enough so that some people could actually fire BAZOOKAS and hit them! And the anti-aircraft guns were easier to use since planes were also slower; I also liked the challenge of using them, because you actually had to adjust your firing to wherever the black cloud of smoke was appearing as opposed to just getting a lockon and clicking (that is if you EVER lock-on without the person using flares, which is rare).

Jets aren't absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to destroy, because I've shot down a couple by using some AA turrets (one idiot on Wake Island kept circling around low and I shot him down), but most of the time it's extremely hard to do anything against them because they're so quick and deadly. I also have a major problem with attacking a jet with AA turrets, only to have it spot me, circle around, and bomb me before I can successfully shoot it down. :|:

There is one good thing though: at least it isn't QUITE as bad as Battlefield Vietnam, in which even the HELICOPTERS were EXTREMELY frustrating to deal with. Ugh, just thinking about the air power on that game sends chills down my spine..

Comment

I had the same problem, so I learnt to fly jets instead of driving around like a sitting duck in vehicles on air maps.

Comment

as previously mentioned above, i for one will never get in a slow moving vehical if i know there are decent players in jets.

Comment

Originally posted by Spookius
                            I don't like bombing, if I'm going to fly I try my hardest to grab the fighter for whatever side I'm playing and use it solely to take enemy jets down. I find dogfighting much more of an art than just dump bombs, go to base, dump bombs, go to base, repeat. lol.
                            Unless you're me in a J-10 playing Wake. I never take out the F-35s, all I do is pound the ground, and let the other J-10 take care of the F-35s. I find no thrill in taking down jets with a J-10.

Comment

Alough I'd say im a good pilot at both helis and Jets. I never use them now or very rarely do, I never use vehicles at all actually now. Honestly im sick of these pricks who run around teamkilling, throwing buggies infront of your jet, I could name no doubt pages of names of smacktards who do this over and over, the list is endless. I usually just reside in Zatar wetlands for Jets and if I was to use the heli stick on Operation Harvest, last time I did use the heli on harvest I rack 54-0 from tving helis and other vehicles. On top of that usually 40-0 on average from a round on zatar with at least 20 people. Zatar is rarely played, or its empty and ontop of that lots of smacktards on Harvest who teamkill you for the heli, could name a fair share. Never play Wake.

All I really play now is 24/7 Karkand inf only or Jalalabad 24/7. I don't get tk'd even if ff is on. Ontop of that most of the time you have medics running around. Seriously a low amount of smacktards are on those type of servers. Smacktards reside on the vehicle servers, personally I don't bother about points.

Comment

Working...
                              X