Team work, does it exsist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team work, does it exsist?

I was on an IO Karkand server (guilty, I know) today and most people really have no ideo how to work together as a team. I was invited into Alpha squad, thinking the players would actually work together, so off I went.

Constantly asking the squad leader for new orders and seeing the squad members scattered around the map wasn't a good start. After trying to get the squad together, asking them to work as a team, I still continued to capture falgs, defend them and generally do my best. But after a while, things went Pete Tong (wrong), so I was looking for my team to get their act together.

Nothing changed so I tought I'd leave Alpha and start my own squad, Charlie. I invited a few players join, they did so and things started to look up. They actualy followed orders and we won, just (by about 10 or 11 points).

It's annoying though, you try your best to work as a team yet others think they can just do bugger all.

Anyone else find this an annoyance after a while?

Re: Team work, does it exsist?

Frackin A!

Comment

Originally posted by Monkey_Priest_UK
      I was on an IO Karkand server (guilty, I know) today and most people really have no ideo how to work together as a team. I was invited into Alpha squad, thinking the players would actually work together, so off I went.

Constantly asking the squad leader for new orders and seeing the squad members scattered around the map wasn't a good start. After trying to get the squad together, asking them to work as a team, I still continued to capture falgs, defend them and generally do my best. But after a while, things went Pete Tong (wrong), so I was looking for my team to get their act together.

Nothing changed so I tought I'd leave Alpha and start my own squad, Charlie. I invited a few players join, they did so and things started to look up. They actualy followed orders and we won, just (by about 10 or 11 points).

It's annoying though, you try your best to work as a team yet others think they can just do bugger all.

Anyone else find this an annoyance after a while?
      Yes, it's annoying. I"m all for teamwork, but I've long realized not to waste my time expecting it in anything less than clan competitive play. Sometimes there will be the rare occurence of a good squad, but now I don't concern myself with it - if anything but just to keep my blood pressure down.

BF2 became a team deathmatch game long ago.

Comment

I hear ya man, i made a post about this subject earlier in October. It really does make a difference to have a full cooperating squad, it can change the tide of battle in seconds.

Comment

Teamwork relies on two things. A leader and a follower.

Everybody is a leader. Nobody is a follower. Thats why teamwork doesn't exist.

Comment

As a clan member, we generally work together as a squad. We normally hit pub servers and often have fellow pubs join our squad. As SL, I try to communicate with them even though I'm talking to my clan buddies on TS. I'll Issue commands and if they don't listen, they get kicked.

So, being in a clan or joining a squad of clan members is your best bet for teamwork. Although, there are plenty of cases where clans are just going about their own business.

Comment

join the damage karaknd 24/7 IO best teamwork there is

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper1432
                join the damage karaknd 24/7 IO best teamwork there is
                You sound like Yoda, but I'll check that out.

Comment

Yeah I see where your all coming from. Somehow, I keep thinking BF2 is slowly turning into Counter Strike when thinking about teamplay. It's annoying, but I suppose I'll live with it ha.

Comment

Originally posted by Dairuka
                    Everybody is a leader.
                    Everybody thinks they're a leader

For me, if I'm a squad leader, follow my instructions or GTFO, you're no use to me.

As a squad member, I try to stay with the squad leader at all times (unless he's a complete retard), and follow his instructions.

Comment

My wisdom on this matter, if you want to call it that.

I'm an old fart and enjoy Infantry Only Karkand, but with qualifications. When I play the MEC side, I always apply for the commander slot - sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't. I don't have the lightning fast reflexes of the younger crowd and so don't fair so well in the holocaust that is the motel, so as commander I can sit back and spot for my team and make sure I get supplies to them and provide UAV support where it's needed.

However, when it comes to playing the US, ahhh...... that's where it gets interesting. The biggest challenge as I see it is to cap MEC flags on the far side of the river and blow up their resources. In order to do that, teamwork is usually neccessary (duh!). I'll form a squad (try to get the squad one position becauase that seems to be the one most people join without thinking), set an objective that is on the far left side of the map halfway to the suburbs, and lead the way (as a medic, of course). I then veer off to the trainwreck with "follow me" commands when needed. 95% of the time we will cap that flag and from there go to the warehouse. I make sure my squad always has an objective and I keep it updated. After the warehouse, we blow **** up and cap the factory, and after that I feel like I accomplished my mission, whatever the final score might be. A lot of games I end up dying more than killing, but that's not why I play the game. To me it's more of a chess match to anticipate the enemies moves and to go where they aren't. If you want a good squad, be bold, proactive, and goal oriented as a squad leader. Take care of your troops and don't be afraid to lead. Communication is vital. Nearly every game I play as US, my squad leads the way in capping enemy flags and I rarely have less than six troops in my squad. If one drops, another one will quickly take his place because they see we are romping around the map having a great time.

Teamwork does exist if you create the desire for fellow players to follow your lead.

Comment

Originally posted by Dairuka
                        Teamwork relies on two things. A leader and a follower.
                        Sorry off-topic but I had to comment on this. Teamplay never ever relies on anyone leading. If someone is leading by the time he has given an order and plan in BF2 they're all dead. Great work. BF2 is simple. You get form the situation in your head and everyone in the team should have similar thoughts. If they don't they either have no idea what's going on or they're just dumb or beginners. Now you do can lead beginners, but it won't get you far. So if you find teamwork in your squad non-existent maybe you're just looking into wrong direction.

Teamwork either is or it is not. You can't try to create it. You can create conditions and get right people, but you can't say hey lets play teamwork, because they won't trust you and you won't trust them. I have had one moment on non-organized gaming when there was a perfect harmony of teamwork. We were two players who knew exactly what the other was thinking and about to do. We had no voip discussion (it was PR), only a word or two every other minute. But the result was absolutely devastating. I mean it really was unbelievable. Two players who were like an mirror image of each other. I never have trusted anyone so much in game. It went on for few hour and I've never seen him since. Now that's ultimate teamwork and it can not be created.

Be good and know what you do and you'll find people will follow (or you follow them?) you. No need to lead anyone because you can't force them. You can advice them, but they won't listen unless you have a very good explanation, but there's no explanation for six on the same spot following "leader" it that's what OP means.

Comment

Too many SquadLeaders lead with their chin.

SquadLeader is a position of authority by name alone. You don't actually physically lead. You stay alive.

The advantage of a long lasting mobile spawn point is invaluable. I retreat, advance, hide, dodge, and generally scramble all over the place. I tell the people in my squad, you may pop up anywhere. But you will spawn, and for as long as I can make that humanly possible. That's one of the biggest jobs for the squad leader.

Sometimes in rare circumstances, I go straight to flag. If I have enough guys spawning on me and the timing is right I can slip in and get the flag white as they spawn on me. 4-6 players bring the flag down the pole pretty darn quick. Sometimes I die during the ensuing battle but hopefully the rest of the squad can turn it.

Don't ride in tanks or two man vehicles, unless you've got people smart enough to spawn on you and bail out, or you've coordinated that sort of thing. First off they're big targets for jets and Choppers. As a Squadleader you don't want to be a big target. Give vehicles to your guys, let them know when they pop up at the spawns your trying to take. Get in them if they can't get to them, then when they spawn you hand the vehicles off to them, then hide again.

That's how IMO you should squad lead. Other then very hectic maps where the opponent is attempting to engage as my targets in a short amount of time. Then you may have to lead with your chin to crank up the number of opportunities your guys have to get kills. Jahalabad can be like that. So can S.A.K . Mashtuur city not as much but sometimes.

How do you find team work?

You need a regular set of friends to play with if you want it all the time. Whether you join a clan, or simple become a regular at a certain server where they all play. Rarely will you just happen to join a good ping server and find people who are willing to work as a team. It's not those player's fault. It's just that your a bunch of strangers, and all it takes is having half the squad not care for it to appear your squad is a cluster faq. Then people lose interest, or decide to do what everyone else is doing, which is nothing.

If you do squad lead with strangers, give orders . At least everyone will now know the general objective. Change them as soon as they are achieved. If your not sure throw a purple shield up at the spawn you just took. Many people are impatient in this game. That can be a good thing, at least they want to do something, give them something to do. If you put a defense order they will react accordingly, getting in .50s in vehicles, taking cover, looking out. It's simply something for them to do, while awaiting another "attack" order. It keeps them involved and let's them know your paying attention to their pleas for "we need new orders here". There's nothing worse then joining a squad and seeing the same set of order up for 10minutes. Something you've attacked and capped long ago, but yet the orders don't change. That's a sure sign the SL just isn't paying much attention to what's going on.

Comment

if u want teamwork, play Project Reality and play on the Tactical gamers server which is usually full (62 ppl) most of hte time there is always a Teamwork squad or VOIP squad and some of the SLs ive played with use some type of military jargon which is pretty cool.. like: Tango spotted at Delta 5 (coordinates on the map) moving East or something. i still dont kno how to really speak it

Comment

Nice, I'll be right at home then.

Cheers, thankyou very much.

Comment

Working...
                              X