Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Macro Thread

Originally posted by RocketChild
    I don't really like macros to much. They can get abused real quick, but I read that PB does allow certain macros, and now that hardware is coming out with a mouse button with Autofire, I really wonder where the line is. I mean, it is hardware based.
    Just about all decent mouses ie logitech already have 8 or more buttons. You can't just designate some of those for your shot selections?

Comment

Even hardware needs a driver to use a macros, hence the drivers are third party. I don't know about the OCZ mouse, but the G15 works just fine without the software installed, as well as the Razer, which also can program a macro I believe. Anyway, they are pretty much gay, but since I have never really seen something (useful, for anyone that would post that stupid worm crawl video) that a skilled player can't do then it is of no consequence, though it is kind of lame watching four or five rockets fire off from a soloer when he switchs back to pilot seat.

Comment

Originally posted by 12:oc7ock
        Just about all decent mouses ie logitech already have 8 or more buttons. You can't just designate some of those for your shot selections?
        Yeah, below is my mouse. Oldschool, but I feel that it is the best mouse for button layout. I don't even know if there are macros for it, but I do have every single button defined for a weapon switch of some kind. Wish MS had never moved away from the design, and just updated the internal technology/precision.

Comment

Just get a Habu, a cross between that and a copperhead.

Comment

Jesus, Rocket if that's the mouse your using, then that's your problem. Taht thing has to be ancient. Go get a Logitech G5 or MX518 or something with 6 or more buttons.

Comment

Yeah, that is why I know about the OCZ and everything else.

I have borrowed my friends Razer a few times, and I can see a marked difference and I know when I move, people are going to start calling me a hacker like back when I was enlisted.

Yeah, I know the DPI is really really poor on it, but I love it to death and I keep putting off the purchase of a mouse to do something like buy another card for SLI or a new chair for my desk...It is the cheapest thing I could do, but instead, I just play fine with it.

Believe me, I do very well with it, but I know the difference, I have owned 3 razers over the last 8 years...and guess what, that MS mouse is still working strong!!!! It still has 5 buttons.

hahaha, yeah, I do need to upgrade that. I have a nice rig, desk, monitor, chair, but a piece of crap mouse. It is kinda like having a Ferrari and using 14" tires.

Comment

There's no such thing as a hardware macro. Any device that has one can be hooked up and used in Windows, without the software (3rdParty) that comes with the hardware. It's that software that allows macros to be created, not the device itself.

Here's my mouse:

They don't even offer them in stores anymore, I think I can still get one online though.

If I can't find one when this one eventually wears out, I'm screwed. Most trackballs are of the thumb kind, and they are very awkward for gaming. Some are "forefinger" ones like mine , but they have a different setup.

It was awesome for flak guns in BF1942 (too bad AA is essentially useless in BF2). It's fantastic for tank turrets. Ever have to lift your mouse off the pad to get more rotation while fighting? Not me ;-).

I'm jealous of the extra buttons razors have, but I just can't go back to regular mice.

Comment

I can see you guys point as to the hardware having to use software to create the macro, I guess I never really thought about it that way, as I have stated before in some other thread on this forum...I have a G15 k/b but I dont know how to use/program the macros, never have, and I only bought it because the way it lights up and the keys are alot quieter than a normal k/b
                  I still think it would be wrong if EA, Dice, or ROE tried to control what kind of hardware you use

and xJohnx.......what makes you think that soloers use macros, I've heard alot of them do so they only have to press 1 key that switches seats, switches to TV, fires, guides and switches back, but not all of them do
                  I know that is probably why I get killed alot when I solo because it takes me longer to do the switching because I do it manually, and then I also have the occasional accident that I had yesterday when I moved my hand from its normal position to switch seats....after I used the TV and switched back to pilot seat, moved my hand back down to throttle and wasnt paying close enough attention and accidentally hit the old ejector button LOL hit the ground before I realised what I did LOL

Comment

I use the exact same mouse RocketChild.

I've never had a problem owning with it. I can't stand the "newer" mice because I use my middle finger to zoom instead of my pointer, which is less comfortable on them. The classic Microsoft mouse we are using has the scroll centered perfectly, which is easier. I got used to using my middle finger to zoom so that my pointer never left the fire button, thus allowing me to zoom/fire quicker. The side buttons I use for voice communication, the left for BF2 Voip and the right for Team Speak.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Slinger
                      and xJohnx.......what makes you think that soloers use macros, I've heard alot of them do so they only have to press 1 key that switches seats, switches to TV, fires, guides and switches back, but not all of them do
                      I don't think soloers do, I know some do. Two things that can give it away, a perfectly smooth trail from the missle, and firing off multiple rockets when hitting F1. I sometimes fire off one rocket, but I have seen guys fire half their payload when switching back, uncontrollably at nothing. Personally, I don't give a damn if a soloer in pubs is using macros, redlining, M95ing, it just a pub, but I hate seeing it in competition.

Comment

As long as game-programmers allow for macro's to gain an advantage, people will use them regardless of what you think or what some ROE might say...

Comment

macros are for ghey-wads....

if u cant do all that crap without macros....then u suck horsey balls....

or ur a lazy prick who would be better off letting someone else play for u.....instead of having a piece of hardware play for u....

either way...get some skill and the need for faggy assed macros becomes null

Comment

http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...r_gaming_mouse

OK, if you read the from the above link, this is a button that is designed into the hardware (firmware) that tells the OS (game) that the button is being pressed rapidly. This is the direction of things. I am still looking at going with Razer, always been thrilled with their products, but I am putting this out there for everyone to chew on for thought, because as more companies offer this kind of technology, people are going to exploit what they have available.

It is a large vein of history that technology typically wins wars. And our traditional ideas of macros are bad are going to get pushed aside to a younger generation of gamers that will show up in a few years with gizmos like these.

Comment

Macros are alright, just so long as they don't stoop to the level of playing the game for you, like aimbots, TV-macros (although I couldn't give a **** about the autoclick part, makes no difference), etc. In CS/S people macro like mad, and it does nothing to the game, just a means to an end. Nobody really complains about it...

Comment

Originally posted by vesuvan
                                I use the exact same mouse RocketChild.

I've never had a problem owning with it. I can't stand the "newer" mice because I use my middle finger to zoom instead of my pointer, which is less comfortable on them. The classic Microsoft mouse we are using has the scroll centered perfectly, which is easier. I got used to using my middle finger to zoom so that my pointer never left the fire button, thus allowing me to zoom/fire quicker. The side buttons I use for voice communication, the left for BF2 Voip and the right for Team Speak.
                                Yeah, I would love to replace all the internal stuff, but keep the same mouse body. The buttons are outstanding! I am mean, they are well placed so each finger can get a direct 'click' on the butting in need. None of this little sliver of a button, they are all big and right where you need them. I don't have any of my chat options on my mouse, I use my mouse strictly for toggling between tactical options.

Originally posted by camperstrike
                                Macros are alright, just so long as they don't stoop to the level of playing the game for you, like aimbots, TV-macros (although I couldn't give a **** about the autoclick part, makes no difference), etc. In CS/S people macro like mad, and it does nothing to the game, just a means to an end. Nobody really complains about it...
                                Not sure if you played Quake III but there was a wicked macro called a "Circle Strafe" And that was devastating if you were caught in one off guard. You can imagine what it does by the name.

Comment

Working...
                                X