Macro Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macro Thread

There was a thread about keybinds and Marcos last night. I posted some ROE rules but the thread is gone today and I did not see the official ruling on what ROE had to say (as they were present in the thread).

I know I could search through a lot of the forum to find answers about where they stand, but I wanted to get more information, because if it is a hardware feature built into a mouse to autofire (as the OCZ mouse will have), is that considered a macro?

And where in the ROE rules does it dictate where AutoHotKeys are illegal?

I might have been better to just delete the post that linked to the Key Script page then delete the whole thread.

Re: Macro Thread

macros=gayness

Comment

Right, but that did not answer the question. It is just trolling the threads.

Comment

Sorry mate, dunno.
        Been searching meself, as i've just got a G11 k/b and wanted to know what the score was vis-a-vis bf2

Comment

I don't really like macros to much. They can get abused real quick, but I read that PB does allow certain macros, and now that hardware is coming out with a mouse button with Autofire, I really wonder where the line is. I mean, it is hardware based.

Comment

Well, I suppose you could argue that it is and as such it isn't an unfair advantage in the true sense (A bit like some players with better hardware getting into a map before others, but thats a whole new can of worms).
            The only reason I bought this here K/B is because my daughter took a liking to my last one (MS Natural) and broke it, and this one was going cheap on ebay. I've got along just fine without using macros until now, like you I am just wondering what the ruling is on them, because now I have the ability to use them (don't know what for though, I can't see me using them to cheat seeing as I never have in the past).

Comment

Macros are considered cheats because they are third party programs. I don't know if this applies to the ROE but I know that it applies to CAL.

Comment

i thought using autohotkey resulted in getting a PB ban

Comment

too tired to search for you
                  but macros were argued tons here
                  and was easily confirmed that is is a 3rd party enhancement to the game
                  (ie cheating )

Comment

It can be interpreted as a 3rd Party modification (software). Thus giving an "unfair" advantage.

Which would be a violation of the ROE.

You can use a keyboard that has marco buttons with out using the software that runs them. Of course you wouldn't want to do that with a new keyboard , one would want all of it's features functional.

But the fact remains that the software for the keyboard is the same as any other "3rd Party program" for your existing keyboard, that creates macros. Those do fall under the description of 3rd Party software.

Just because the software comes with the hardware doesn't mean it's not an unfair advantage.

Joy sticks and mice have more buttons and software that controls them, but we all only have 10 digits. Every player in FPS for years has been striving to take advantage of all of our fingers and thumbs. If some one doesn't have a nice mouse or joystick that isn't an unfair advantage it's just a lack of funds on their part.

Macros and the programs that create them allow you to duplicate complicated motions of the hands over and over again flawlessly. The human element of error is removed from your game in many situations. That's an unfair advantage.

A portion of getting better at BF2 is the manipulation of many different kinds of keys. If that learning process can be shortened or compromised it would take one of the very competitive elements out of the game.

I personally think it's a slippery slope. Do we all really want to be sipping our favorite beverage and occasionally hitting a few key strokes to kill one another? For me half the fun is bearing down and concentrating for long periods of time so I don't "flub" a move, or a make a mistake, or spawn at the wrong location. Sometimes I have good nights, some nights I'm "all thumbs". It's the risk of failure that makes things exciting in games.

If you start removing that risk from BF2 and other shooters by letting the computer do a lot of the grunt work your fingers normally would, then your removing part of what the genre is all about. Not using marcos also weeds out the people who normally couldn't play an FPS. No offense but I have friends that simply can't react fast enough to be "run and gun" type players. Therefore they are not, neither am I very good at this aspect of the game.

I could take a day or two of searching and dicking around with my G15, and I'm sure I could create very nice attack and evade macros, that would really help me out in IO servers. But I don't. I don't see the point in having a string of code do what I like to do, or do for me what I'm attempting to learn. How would the IO players feel who don't use them, and then I step in and do much better then I would (IO is not my strong point), because I perfected a marcro that attacks, or evades, and can reproduce it flawlessly every time?

Just watch the Chopper soloist and you'll see why it's a slippery slope. The ones that use macros are deadly. What was sort of an over sight by EA/DICE that allowed seat switching in choppers, only gave an advantage to the pilot willing to sort out all the problems with doing it. With macros pilots can rev up blades, put twist in the stabilizer router , switch to gunnerseat, then to TV missile, then fire, then do a repeat on the fire key so it's guidance corrects itself faster then the human hand could. Steer with mouse, rinse and repeat.

It's starts with a heal and switch back to weapon which seems innocent enough, something you do over and over in the game and not screwup. Then it's a dive and fire. Then a leap and fire. Then a dive, fire, leap, dive fire. In awhile it's a seat switching macro that makes a good pilot incredibly powerful and starts to throw off balance.

Plus it's gay. ;-).

Comment

how can a HARDWARE based macro be illegal, its the same thing as using a G15 k/b (which I have) so I dont think that a MOUSE with built in "auto-clicker" is cheating
                      its NOT a 3rd party program, its HARDWARE and on top of that.....how the fvck are you gonna tell if someone is using a certain brand of mouse and/or keyboard

if they start pushing the issue to try and CONTROL what kind of hardware we use then they can all suck my a$$

Comment

Originally posted by Scinto
                        i thought using autohotkey resulted in getting a PB ban
                        See, that is what I have always thought too, but the link to the forum that was deleted had this nugget in one of their threads:

Originally posted by *
                        And for the PB thing: I got a kick 1 Month ago, but the issue was solved by PB Support (Glenn)
                        They will never BAN you for using AHK! Thats a fact! You maybe could get kicked(1 Minute) if you use old Version´s of AHK but i think PB has solved that too cause i never received a kick again and using lot´s of scripts when i test them
                        So, I wonder now.

Comment

Disfigured. Well thought out and well said... As well CAL would toss you out on your bum if you tried it at a match so in my opionion its cheating and most players feel its cheating.

Also yes using Auto hot key is a PB kickable offence.

and agreed totally gay.

Comment

ive had a mouse that can do macros for like 2 years now and I never bothered with it coz I want to play the right way

it gives u adventage so yea its probably against roe

Comment

All fair points taken onboard.
                              I will continue to play the way I always have done (badly lol)

Comment

Working...
                              X