Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Improved manoeuvering?? Moving from Logitech Extreme Force 3D to Saitek Evo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Improved manoeuvering?? Moving from Logitech Extreme Force 3D to Saitek Evo...

I have a Cyborg Evo, and while I have been pretty happy, it does have a problem with dead zone calibration. I do like the adjustability of the keys and trigger.

I have not tried any of the third-party calibration programs yet though. I am still just using it plug and play.

Comment

Re: Improved manoeuvering?? Moving from Logitech Extreme Force 3D to Saitek Evo...

Originally posted by signa
      I've used a few different sticks (MS and thrustmaster), and now im using an EVO. Im on my 2nd evo, the first one's rudder twist pot failed after about 125 hours of use. the evo's work fine, and I didnt install any software for it. Just use xp's control panel to calibrate it. The evo's are a little taller than other sticks but thats about all. they definately use pots as their sensor. the spring is a little stiff, and the throttle will become extremely smooth (and loose) after 50hrs or so.

Originally posted by troybob
      i've used both since 2002 (when my microsoft one died)

I used saitek first, and they wore out

then i switched to logitech, and they wore out.

Saitek on the other hand, didn't have the kind of feel i wanted. the external spring made extreme moves harder to hold. Also, the spring seemed to engage after a dead zone on the joystick that took a bit to get used to.

Never had a problem with logitech except the usual wear out time.

Plus, Logitech seems to hold calibration better (before they wear out) than saitek. My saitek has some stupid "auto calibration" where if it seemed un-calibrated you just moved the joystick in circles real quick. Quite impossible in certain situations.

I've owned 3 saiteks and probably 6 logitechs. i have 3 logitechs in my house right now and a broken saitek.

Originally posted by 2nd-Irish
      I have a Cyborg Evo, and while I have been pretty happy, it does have a problem with dead zone calibration. I do like the adjustability of the keys and trigger.

I have not tried any of the third-party calibration programs yet though. I am still just using it plug and play.
      Thanks for your answers fellows I really appreciate your effort. I'm waiting my stick with a bit vague feelings. As I said this purchase of mine is based only to reviews and user comments. I've never hold one in my hand. For some reason I couldn't find a single store in my hometown retailing Saitek sticks, so bought it from the webstore.

According your experiences it seems that there is not any longer lifetime to be expected and that is a bit disappointing. I hope it's a little more stiffer stick than my Logitechs. I really liked those, but a bit more support while resting my arm in center could be even better.

Is that adjustability so good as it's praised over those reviews, it really looks cool. Hope it works as advertised.

Well, I wish I'm gonna get the stick tonight for testing it by myself.

Comment

Originally posted by TopGunGreg
        NEVER use wireless ANYTHING in a game
        Does NOT matter how GOOD you might be
        wireless HURTS performance
        ******** if you ask me. I have cordless mousen and cordless joystick. Both are just plain awesome. No delays in response time, no lost key clicks. Just plain no problems.

Sure, 5 yrs ago cordless technology wasn't what it's today. Todays cordless ****e is just as good as sommit with that tail.

Comment

I had 3 Logitech extremes and finally got tired of the breakdowns. I now have a Saitek Evo and i hate it. Way too stiff. I really like the logitech but it just keps breaking. I guess im stuck with this evo

Comment

Ok, got the stick and here are my first impressions;

This stick is so accurate that it's almost impossible to describe it. It goes just where I try to point it. Awesome

It is much looser than my Logitech sticks

Originally posted by yoohoo313131
            I had 3 Logitech extremes and finally got tired of the breakdowns. I now have a Saitek Evo and i hate it. Way too stiff. I really like the logitech but it just keps breaking. I guess im stuck with this evo
            ????

Only thing I found to be stiff is throttle. When flying with copter it's too stiff for my taste and I hope it will get looser as Signa mentioned. When flying with copter I play almost constantly with the throttle.

Buttons are too touchy, it seems to be difficult to find good button binding. Too often I waste my flares or bombs by accidentally button pressing.

Handle is not as good as I expected. Palm rest is good but the notch in the top of the handle is pressing my hand a bit and I'm sure it will start to irritate later. Well, that can be handled with some ice hockey tape.

It really looks cool. I'm past my juvenile times so eye candy is not something I look for, but as an machine engineer the design looks complicated enough to satisfy engineering perversions

Okay those were the first feelings I got after flying about half an hour on some empty server. I may write some more if someone is interested, but only after I got some actual gaming experience. Now, back to binding those buttons :hmm:

Comment

******** if you ask me. I have cordless mousen and cordless joystick. Both are just plain awesome. No delays in response time, no lost key clicks. Just plain no problems.

Sure, 5 yrs ago cordless technology wasn't what it's today. Todays cordless ****e is just as good as sommit with that tail.
              I have a Logitech MX1000 (wireless mouse), and it's amazing. No complaints whatsoever, I switched from a $30 wired Microsoft optical mouse to this one and there is no noticeable delay. I've only seen the battery get down to 1 bar (out of 3) once, and that was after around 14 hours of use - over the summer my brother would play all day and never remembered to put it back in the charger, and then I would come home from work and play until like midnight

I wanted to get a wired mouse, but I just loved the shape of the MX1000 so I said "screw it" and got it anyways. Can't say I regret that decision at all

Comment

Id be interested in hearing more about the Evo once you use it a bit. I wanted to buy my first joystick this week and was going to get one, but now Im not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMafia
                  Id be interested in hearing more about the Evo once you use it a bit. I wanted to buy my first joystick this week and was going to get one, but now Im not sure.
                  Ok, now I have used it for some hours so here are my final thoughts:

- It really is striking accurate, there is no distortion at all. The center position of rudder has some mechanical slack, it takes few degrees of twist before it starts to register maneuvering commands. If that could be taken off (Factory / design issue) the stick would be as close of mind control as possible.

- Throttle handle is not in best position and I would like to control the throttle with a smaller movement. First it felt too stiff but it's getting looser. When it's really loose I can live with it. Again throttle control is really accurate, best I've ever tested.

- Despite all adjustment possibilities, ergonomics is not as good as Logitech had. Most troubling issue is sensitiveness of the thumb buttons. I push accidentally wrong buttons too many times. Factory should concern some attention to this when starting to design next series. Button layout could be better. This is something I'm trying to learn at the moment, I have to make larger circles with my thumb when moving it from button to another. Buttons are good quality, they give nice click feedback when pressed. Just wish they would need a little more force to be activated.

- X-Y axis control movement is wider than in Logitech but it's pretty good. Stiffer (or adjustable) spring / greater force in centering could be better but that is up to a person. Some like it loose, others stiff.

- Stick is very light, some more mass would do good for it.

Verdict:

Some issues are worse than in Logitech products others are better. It's a good stick but it's not perfect. I just wish I could find a stick with Logitech ergonomics and Saitek accuracy, but I guess I can live with this. About the durability, it feel pretty rigid but only time will tell...

Comment

I have a Saikek Pro wireless stick, not a problem with it, REALLY helps with maneouvres and i seem to be able to outfly enemy jets a lot easier than M+K/B, but one problem I have with using a joystick is that my accuracy with guns and bombs is a LOT lower and have a lot of trouble lining myself up properly, particularly with guns.

Anyone got any advice?

Comment

Working...
                    X