Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Improved manoeuvering?? Moving from Logitech Extreme Force 3D to Saitek Evo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improved manoeuvering?? Moving from Logitech Extreme Force 3D to Saitek Evo...

Hi All,

I finally had it. I've been using Logitech sticks as long as I have been playing BF2. (BF2 is actually my first flight sim ever) During this 2 years I've had 2 Logitech sticks, WingMan Extreme Digital 3D Pro and Extreme 3D Pro. Both are useless now. They lost accuracy, both are making some random wobbling movements on their own. First it's just a bit annoying, at the end you can target properly. I bought new lone ast Friday, Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless. Fine stick, accurate as hell, but already I can feel it not lasting too long. One joint has play that will for certain get worse. One button is not working reliably, It requires too much force and it doesn't give feedback with a good click.

That's it, I'll seek another manufacturer. Tomorrow I'll return Logitech back to the store and buy Saitek Evo. I havent even touch Saitek stick but then I'll see. Many of you have praised that product. Has any of you done the same change? Any comments or experiences? I'm I getting better or worse?

Re: Improved manoeuvering?? Moving from Logitech Extreme Force 3D to Saitek Evo...

Mouse plus keyboard = FTW.

I used to be the biggest joystick whore in Screamer, but that's a different story.

Comment

Re: Improved manoeuvering?? Moving from Logitech Extreme Force 3D to Saitek Evo...

I'll have improved manouvering when I finally acquire that Razor Krait to replace my 3 year old ball mouse that occasionally forgets how to turn right.

Comment

saitek st290 pro = $19 walmart
        son and I both use = no problems
        many of our clan have logitech 3d pro (now $30??)

NEVER use wireless ANYTHING in a game
        Does NOT matter how GOOD you might be
        wireless HURTS performance

Comment

Originally posted by ACE_FIN1972
          BF2 is actually my first flight sim ever
          Lolz...flight sim.

Saiteks are awesome.

If all you use it for is BF2, there's no reason to spend more than 20 bucks.

Comment

Well yeah, it's a simulator. I know almost nothing about other flying games, but this seems to be fun.

First when I got exited about flying in BF2, I bought few other sims. What were those...Lock On something and IL-something. Those were boring. Ages of flying to bomb some tiny truck or train and the if possible even more boring trip back to base. Played about 1 hour both and now those are waiting for new inspiration

Nah, this is good enough for me. Don't need better and I still got hell of a lot things to learn.

Comment

Lock On: Modern Air Combat, was a half developed game released by Ubisoft. BUT! It is a sim, and is for the hardcore flight sim guys. It can be fun.

Comment

BF2 is about as much a realistic simulation as Unreal Tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by ACE_FIN1972
                  (BF2 is actually my first flight sim ever)
                  I hate to sound like a purist here, BF2 is many things. Flight sim is not one of them. Good luck on your new endeavor.

Comment

While not a 'flight sim' in the slightest, a new comer would find flying a jet in BF2 a bit bewildering. Compared to say the Hydra on GTA San Andreas, it's a lot closer to a 'sim'.

Comment

Folks don't get stuck BF2 being or not being a flight simulator. It simulates flying with modern plane because you all are flying a jet or copter in this game, right? How realistic it is, is another issue. I don't want realistic flight model, I prefer more fun. Speed and dangerous situations thats what I like...

Now the question was about switching from Logitech to Saitek. If you have any comments about that, please enlight me. Also I would like to know I'm I the only large scale consumer of Logitech products or have any of you noticed the same problem, stick getting sour after while?

Finally some technical information would be nice. Do any of you know what kind of elemet (component) is handiling position locating. Is it still a potentiometer or is it based on optical or perhaps magnetical sensing. With Logitech it certainly feels like potentiometer, that would explain this rapid aging. How about Saitek then, anyone noticed similar symptoms?

45€ (60$) is not that much of money, but I still don't want to renew my stick once in a year. They should last longer.

Comment

I've used a few different sticks (MS and thrustmaster), and now im using an EVO. Im on my 2nd evo, the first one's rudder twist pot failed after about 125 hours of use. the evo's work fine, and I didnt install any software for it. Just use xp's control panel to calibrate it. The evo's are a little taller than other sticks but thats about all. they definately use pots as their sensor. the spring is a little stiff, and the throttle will become extremely smooth (and loose) after 50hrs or so.
                        "Crunch's First Officer"
                        twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Originally posted by camperstruck
                          Mouse plus keyboard = FTW.

I used to be the biggest joystick whore in Screamer, but that's a different story.
                          You have no idea what you are talking about.... = ftw.

Comment

Originally posted by TopGunGreg
                            saitek st290 pro = $19 walmart
                            son and I both use = no problems
                            many of our clan have logitech 3d pro (now $30??)

NEVER use wireless ANYTHING in a game
                            Does NOT matter how GOOD you might be
                            wireless HURTS performance
                            I use ST290!

Been using it since Aces High 1!!!

Comment

i've used both since 2002 (when my microsoft one died)

I used saitek first, and they wore out

then i switched to logitech, and they wore out.

Saitek on the other hand, didn't have the kind of feel i wanted. the external spring made extreme moves harder to hold. Also, the spring seemed to engage after a dead zone on the joystick that took a bit to get used to.

Never had a problem with logitech except the usual wear out time.

Plus, Logitech seems to hold calibration better (before they wear out) than saitek. My saitek has some stupid "auto calibration" where if it seemed un-calibrated you just moved the joystick in circles real quick. Quite impossible in certain situations.

I've owned 3 saiteks and probably 6 logitechs. i have 3 logitechs in my house right now and a broken saitek.

Comment

Working...
                              X