Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If there were no choppers or airplanes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If there were no choppers or airplanes...

Depends, if the hitboxes where like they are, no i would of stopped long ago. It they were more like any other games, I would be amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by You_were_killedby
      If there were no air planes or helos i would of NEVER bought this game. Vehicles is what makes Bf2 so good. IO is like ceral without milke.
      I didn't say NO VEHICLES. I said no flying machines. Wake up.

Comment

I can pretty easily. By nature I'm a ground pounder, I'm come from a mostly half-life based gaming background.

I did happen to fly alot in 42 but that's a rare exception and I found it way funner than aerial combat in BF2...I think WWII air fights are just funner...more of a personal reason I guess.

It's really why I play almost exclusively on Mashtuur. Wake was my favorite for a long time but I never flew in a Jet and rarely got an attack helocopter....just not as fun as that 'personal kill'.

My favorite vehicle is the transport helocopter and so yeah... I find myself tking even for that on Mashtuur. I used to never tk for vehicles but it only took a few times of being the victim to becoming thirsty for my teammates blood.

It'll never end...

"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Comment

I'm never touching a helicopter again, the moment I get my veteran badge.

It's not the helicopters themselves, but the people who all want them at the same time.

Comment

Jets in BF2 are the worst imbalance in any FPS I've ever seen. But it does add a "food chain" element to strategy that has to be taken into consideration, that's a huge element to take out of BF2. But since it's one end of a spectrum of weapons I think it could be removed and the game would still be playable. If you took away automatic weapons it would have more adverse effect on the game then if you took away the jets. A five card straight is still an open ended straight if you take the top or bottom card out. But if you take out the middle it's just a garbage hand.

As for choppers I think they are just right except in the hands of the very best pilots, which must have taken lengthy hours to achieve. Even then they are susceptible to a team effort.

Take out both?

It's not unheard of in the series to have no air but yet have ground vehicles. Aberdeen comes to mind in '42, a purely tank/arty map, with some niches for infantry.

Are the maps laid out correctly for a ground vehicle only scenario?

Probably, but no way to tell till you actually did it.

Is there enough David infantry to the Goliath of ground vehicles with out having the trump card of jets and choppers?

I think there is.

In fact that very scenario, tank/APC/ vs. ground troops is what BF2 does best, and is at it's height in balance. My first thought when a tank appears on the scene isn't to start calling for help from the air jockeys. It's nice to be able to, but not the end of the world if they don't show up.

Would I still play? Sure, in fact after all this point crap is long forgotten I'd love to see server side moded content to BF2 itself. Not TCMs (total conversion mods) , but just a "tweaking" of BF2 itself. Or the ability to fine tune it. P&Ks, APC only, Tank only, Ground Vehicle only. Even tweaks to movement and ballistics to suite certain players likes and dislikes. Unlimited ammo servers for the impatient. More random cone for the more tactical players.

The game itself is set on a very good premise, with only a few balance issues. With a only a little tinkering (rather then a total conversion) endless different feels for the game could result.

Comment

nope, theyre the only interesting thing in the game :|

Comment

Yep, I would run everybody over waiting for a tank in a DPV.

Comment

Originally posted by =[4th]=RedLeg
                  Yep, I would run everybody over waiting for a tank in a DPV.
                  Meh, it's better to get a DPV dropped on the carrier, just drive it up and eject it at the knobs trying to TK for the jet/chopper, and watch them go flying into the sea! So satisfying

Comment

Definitely.
                    I'm sick of the ten people line ups waiting for a jet/helocopter ect...
                    I like being a squad leader, and taking all the flags, getting my buddies some points.
                    Aircrafts don't help the team out as much.

-GravityDive

Comment

Not necessarily, you'd be surprised how many times I've been in a rogue FAV just about to cap a flag when a jet comes and blows us to pieces, and vice versa.

When it comes to getting firepower somewhere quickly, you either need a jet or the airborne tank (i.e. cobra). Beats artillery any day.

Comment

I'm with gravity on this. Squad play is much better than flying around and wasting everybodys time waiting for a ride. That and I can't fly. lol try to, but just end up crashing. Oh well, I like ground pounding anyway. Much more to do when on the ground.

Comment

My favorite vehicle is the transport helocopter and so yeah... I find myself tking even for that on Mashtuur.
                          You've got to be kidding.

Comment

If the aircraft left, do you think the TK'ing tards would leave too? I doubt it... but at least Tanks/APC don't have glass.

Comment

Originally posted by vesuvan
                              If the aircraft left, do you think the TK'ing tards would leave too? I doubt it... but at least Tanks/APC don't have glass.
                              LOL so true.
                              Yeah Id keep playing.
                              ATM Im trying to get Heli hours, after I get my badge Ill quit. I wouldnt agree with eliminating the transport helis, there more transport then air power.

Only reason I touch air is when I want to kill a bunch of people and not be killed...which isnt very much for me. I get really bored having a massive upperhand.

Comment

Originally posted by vesuvan
                                I think a majority of them would.

Simply because of the fact that the tanks are not nearly as invulnerable as the jets, once mastered. Even the best most cautious tanker is vulnerable to ground forces.

Most of the Tking fools do so because they eventually want to rule the skies, and with that comes ruling the ground. That also leads to points, which is another motivation. Your not going to get that many points in a tank, even with the jets and choppers gone. The tank will become the top of the food chain and therefore will attract point conscious and selfish players, but not in the volumes that jets do.

On second though maybe taking the jets and choppers out will shift the retards into my favorite areas, or at least some of them. Better to leave jets and choppers in. I'll take the occasional rapage by a great pilot to give these douchewhistles some place to congregate and TK each other, rather then where I am.

Comment

Working...
                                X