Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BF2 ROE needs some work!

Originally posted by ent|ty
    I consider it a 'major' restriction to not allow attacking of uncaps. That is a HUGE leap as far as I'm concerned. What about other rules?

1) "Spec Ops must leave uncap after destroying commander assets"
    As I had mentioned before, this goes under 'don't attack uncaps" which is a major restriction on someone's gameplay. Many servers enforce this - after the enemy commander simply drops a magic box on the target you just destroyed to repair it. Then if you hang around to restock and blow it up again, you're camping the uncap - a kick or ban follows.

2) "Don't steal enemy planes/jeeps/choppers from enemy uncap" Same as above defaults to "don't attack uncap"

3)"Dont camp in uncaps (sniping) or mill about" Same as "don't attack uncap".

4)"If spec op squad, only 2 spec ops allowed at anyone time. No supply guy or other class allowed in squad" "Spec ops cannot drive into enemy uncap", etc.
    My understanding is that these rules are often employed by clans on maps in which only one team has an uncap, and the clan members stack up on that team. "Advanced clan tactics" include a rush by all the clan-members to the other team's capturable main base, thorough destruction of the commanders toys, and a nice round of clansploitation, with lots of kick/bans against people who employ anything approximating resistance. You're their guest, now play by the rules and be a good target or be gone, as I have come to understand how these folks work.

After all, it wouldn't be fair for the clan to pay for their servers and then have to suffer the indignity of fair play...with the potential that they might even lose a round, now would it?

Best advice in the world? Leave the server and let the clan fight over which of their own members have to suffer being on the exploited side.

Comment

What no one here talks about is when you create your EA account you have given up your right to play the game as you feel you should. EA has the right to revoke your account at anytime whether you have violated the ROE or not. The ROE is a living document that over time may be restructured to fit the game as it is played at that time but it is the core of how the game should be played. I don't have the answers to all of this and it will always be open to interpetation but in the end for those that like the ROE it works for them others it may not.

Comment

Originally posted by BFROE|Dacster
        What no one here talks about is when you create your EA account you have given up your right to play the game as you feel you should. EA has the right to revoke your account at anytime whether you have violated the ROE or not. The ROE is a living document that over time may be restructured to fit the game as it is played at that time but it is the core of how the game should be played. I don't have the answers to all of this and it will always be open to interpetation but in the end for those that like the ROE it works for them others it may not.
        And that is a well commented problem about EULAs, and why in the next decade, they are going to disappear from software. We are all aware of the fact that there is small print. But, unlike the game world, corporations hand you the document and ask you to sign after you have read the contract. You do not get refunds from shrink wrapped software. No where on the package was there a listing to ROE. ROE, from what I understand, did not form till after BF2 was in public circulation.

Comment

You said it. If ROE suits some people's interests they'll follow it. I for one don't see any reason for you to exist. The game was designed so that you could attack any base, at any time, and was even accounted for by adding defensive structures. Also teamwork goes a long way to countering attacks on your uncap. The only rules I need to abide by or respect while playing BF2 is the agreement I 'agreed' to when I installed the game. Why ROE is even involved trying to change how the game is played, is beyond me.

Originally posted by megawhompertoo
          Best advice in the world? Leave the server and let the clan fight over which of their own members have to suffer being on the exploited side.
          Leaving the server doesn't offer a solution to the problem of stupid rules that are advocated by ROE as being 'minor' restrictions, when they're not. My case is strengthened by your statement about maps with one side only haveing an uncap... which further unbalances the game in favor of the team that has the uncap.. as they can mount an attack without fear of any attack on them...

This subject should always go back to the root of all this: A team that can't work together, and/or clan server owners who are chopper/airplane enthusiasts that just want to get off the ground so they can rape everyone else.

For the record, I do follow server policies and rules when I play on them, but I don't have to agree with them.

Originally posted by RocketChild
          You do not get refunds from shrink wrapped software. No where on the package was there a listing to ROE. ROE, from what I understand, did not form till after BF2 was in public circulation.
          Exactly. So they really shouldn't be telling any of us how to play, or even trying to enforce rules that can already be dealt with in the gaming community. Counterstrike had no ROE, yet it somehow managed to police itself and establish rules of conduct...

Comment

You're absolutely right, and you've offered one of the key things that people should (hmmm...perhaps even are) thinking about before they pay for a game that has historically offered pretty open-ended game play, but has since ceased to do so.

I'm letting the stores hold onto a certain curly, steaming thing that the kids are calling BF2142 for exactly the reason that you've so eloquently laid out, and I appreciate your candor in the matter.

In fact, in my siggy! Thanks for the elaboration!

Comment

If ROE doesn't suit your interests, or you don't want to abide by it, then you can play unranked servers or mods all you want. It's really that simple.

If you know my opinion about stats (which would include ranked servers), then you know I could really care less about them. Yes, I play ranked servers because they offer stats, but I don't play for stats. However, I accept the fact that I must abide by ROE in order to play on ranked servers. You don't have to abide by ROE on unranked servers or mods. So if it's really an issue, then play on those servers.

:edit: I guess this is directed towards the "abolish ROE" viewpoint. I have no issues with tightening up some of the language in ROE or removing ambiguities.

Comment

Originally posted by davelisowski
                If ROE doesn't suit your interests, or you don't want to abide by it, then you can play unranked servers or mods all you want. It's really that simple.
                Or we can discuss ways of leaving the game as EA intended... a war game.

Originally posted by davelisowski
                However, I accept the fact that I must abide by ROE in order to play on ranked servers..
                News flash. Noone has to abide by ROE in order to play on ranked servers. They hold no power whatsoever, other than what you choose to give them. I signed an agreement not to hack, cheat, or modify game files. That's it. I don't act like an *** online out of choice. I treat other players with respect out of choice. I show sportsmanship online out of choice. Noone told me to do so. For any self-proclaimed regulatory group to tell me I cannot play the Spec Ops class (for example) to it's full potential as designed by EA, makes me not respect them at all.

Either ALL servers are the same with their rules or policies, or THEY ARE NOT. Joining every server and one thing is allowed but not another is getting really stupid.

Comment

Actually, EA accepted the ROE, therefore, legitimizing their presence. I'm just saying that it's there, and that's the way it is.

Comment

Exactly. So they really shouldn't be telling any of us how to play, or even trying to enforce rules that can already be dealt with in the gaming community. Counterstrike had no ROE, yet it somehow managed to police itself and establish rules of conduct...
                    Well, what I need to add, is there is also fine print to say they can change the contract after you sign it. So, they can change what they want after you have already agreed to something you were not aware of before you broke the seal.

Classic Catch-22...Joseph Heller could make a third book out of that.

Comment

agreed, the rules are vague at best..

what it does do tho is give a basic outline of how people should play, where as common sense should also come into play..

for instance the uncap rule..

that rule is allowed if stated in the join message.. Insomnia want this rule in place so we have to enforce it..

the force tk, runway blocking, sniping people from the cockpit because someone else got to the plane first all boils down to ethics..

if this was a real battle most likely those people would be peeling potatos at Leavenworth...

but then again this is NOT a real battle, so those players are removed from the server so the rest of the players can have a more enjoyable game..

BFROE is always looking for good level headed players, if you think you can help to make our community better, shoot me a PM and we can all work together to refine our gaming ideals and rules...

Comment

When I paid $69.99 for BF2, it didn't say on the box that I'd have to follow some self-appointed regulatory body that says I can't attack uncaps, etc.

Some of the best gameplay happened when BF2 first came out, before the pansy-asses started making stupid rules.

hehe, thats great, thats exactly how I feel. BF1942 and BFV survived without the ROE.

Comment

Not intending to trash your ROE or the people behind it, but it does come across as a special interest group looking to:

A. Empower itself.
                          B. Use it's influence to dictate its minority views on how BF2 on-line gaming should be.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Originally posted by BFROE|ELI
                          The no attacking uncaps is a server admin option. This is not a mandatory requirement.

2.3.2 Allowed “In-House” Ranked Server Rules:

Server Administrators may implement and enforce rules that result in minor changes to gameplay behavior or styles as long as these are clearly stated before a player starts playing on a server. These rules typically introduce minor restrictions on how a certain aspect of the game can be used.
                          Come on now, we all know full well the reason why "2.3.2 Allowed “In-House” Ranked Server Rules:" were put into place

The rest of the examples are just fluff added in to mask the true intent!

Examples of such rules that are acceptable are:

(d) Making attacks on enemy main bases (flags that cannot be captured), including artillery strikes, vehicle drops to block runways, bombing runs with aircraft or sustained infantry attacks. (Note that specific attacks targeting the enemy commander’s asset buildings are always allowed, even if they are within the enemy main base.)

Comment

^I'm confused about what you mean by, "fluff added to mask the true intnet."

On a side note, that part of ROE needs to be updated because commanders cannot drop vehicles on runways anymore.

Comment

I honestly think that its ridiculous that ROE goes to such extent banning so many things. Besides stats padding ROE should get they're noses out of servers buisiness and mind their own damn selves.

Besides obvious hacking and stat padding the rest should be the decisions of the server. The concept of policing every ranked server is complete BS because when a person buys Bf2 they want to play and have fun, not get restricted by a bunch of whiners who couldn't handle servers who only allowed certain things, God forbid they just moved to another server, instead they bitched and moaned, showing how big a noob they really are because they don't know how to press the magical disconnect server and find a different one.

Comment

Originally posted by CQ-Reborn
                                God forbid they just moved to another server, instead they bitched and moaned, showing how big a noob they really are because they don't know how to press the magical disconnect server and find a different one.
                                Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black...

Comment

Working...
                                X