Processers which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Processers which one?

I currently have a Intel Pentium D 820 2.8 GHz which sucks really bad i ****ing hate it!!

Is this better than what i have? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115005

EDIT: If it is better.

1) Instructions on changing the processor.
    2)my computer is a dell xps 400 so if i change the processor the BIOS wont get ruined right?

BTW: I have a 375 watt power supply

Re: Processers which one?

The core dou 2 will be alot better than your Pentuim D and is worth the money.

ok first ring dell and ask them will it support it, if no ask them what you will have to do to support it.

If they say yes its really simple.
    1)unplug the pc and press the power button to discharge any left over power (those capacitors are bitches).

2)Then Earth your self and remove the side panel.

3) Find the Cpu heatsink and remove it.

4) When thats removed there should be the CpU life the vever up and lift the catch up and you should be able to lift the old cpu out.

5) WARNING please be careful here. The CPU goes in one way if it does not drop in DONT force it you will break it. I couldnt find any pictures so ill try my best to descrbe it. If you look at the core dou it has a gold triangle in the corner, that needs to go in the left corner of the tray in the mobo and the teeth need to line up properly.

6) when thats done close the latch the oposit how u opened it.

7) I recommend using the stock heatsink not the dell one. Make sure when putting it on you do the clips diagonally so you go bottom right to top left and so forth.

8) plug the fan into the plug normaly labeled cpu1 or CPUfan1.

9) clear the cmos this varies on your mobo which will retur the bios to factory settings (this is done to eliminate boot issues but can be skipped if you want them kept)

10) if you did step 9 set the bios and boot up and it should work normally but alot Quicker.

Im no expert on dells, but contact me if you want more help. Oh and New york is a beautiful city

Comment

I'd also invest in a new PSU, 500W + for mid to long term usage.

Comment

Try getting something a bit later.

You have a 945G motherboard chipset, as far as I know, no Dell motherboards with that chipset support the Core 2 Duo. I may be wrong...

Also, you need to buy thermal paste. Always, always, always.

And if you are to switch between the Pentium D, and the C2D, you MUST reset the CMOS otherwise it'll try to fry your new CPU on first boot (it'll shut down if you have a good motherboard with a failsafe guard).

Most likely, you will need:

New motherboard
        Thermal paste
        New case
        New heatsink (or the stock one that comes with the new CPU)

Unless your case conforms to the ATX specification (mine didn't so I had to buy the above), you must do this. Dell loves proprietary heatsinks as well, so watch out.

Comment

And if you are to switch between the Pentium D, and the C2D, you MUST reset the CMOS otherwise it'll try to fry your new CPU on first boot (it'll shut down if you have a good motherboard with a failsafe guard).
          Hmm thats weird every motherboard ive come across has detected the new cpu without clearing the cmos. But theres always a first and always do it to be safe!!

Comment

I've had 2 that didn't. I could have fried eggs on that Prescott, seriously.

Comment

Since my mobo doesnt support C2D and i dont want to buy a new one. How will this do? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116255

I also need directions for applying the thermal compound and the setup of the cmos bios.
              Also my mobo is BTX. Even though it is BTX I can still use this processor right?

Comment

Ah, BTX. In that case, you'll need to do what I did - you need:

New Case
                New Heatsink/Fan
                New Fans
                New PSU
                New Motherboard
                New Thermal Paste

And FINALLY you can have your cake and eat it. The above will set you back £100 in the UK (loads of bargain hunting to be had), and the C2D is about the same price.

EVERYTHING will be detailed in the motherboard's manual. When you get it, reset the CMOS battery anyway. Make sure to stick all the jacks in the right way or you might have to say bye bye before getting the chance to say hello.

BTX is a case specification, it's far better for cooling than ATX, but it hasn't managed to really do anything to ATX's dominance. Hopefully it'll get adopted, I prefer it, but it's unlikely for a while.

Yeah, that's a lot of money.

As for the thermal paste, it depends on the heatsink. For the stock heatsink, you just turn the clips at whatever angle it says in the manual (before putting it in), then press it hard and into the slots in the mobo, and you have to ensure it is firmly on by trying to move it. The thermal paste on the stock heatsink is on the underside of it, so it'll automatically apply itself when you install it. Remember to clean the surface of the CPU with a damp cloth before doing that though.

By the way, the Prescott CPUs aren't that bad, I suggest you hold off for a few months and get saving for the Kentsfield quad cores

Comment

Definately needing a new psu... I am annoyed as your old processor is still 0.5 ghz faster than my current one.

I need to upgrade :|

Comment

Originally posted by Mooby Mc Moob
                    Definately needing a new psu... I am annoyed as your old processor is still 0.5 ghz faster than my current one.

I need to upgrade :|
                    wrong there, Athlon's can do more per Mhz, which means that an Athlon 3500, running at 2.2 ghz, is faster than an 2.2 intel chip.

Comment

Originally posted by sgt-Sander-NL
                      wrong there, Athlon's can do more per Mhz, which means that an Athlon 3500, running at 2.2 ghz, is faster than an 2.2 intel chip.
                      :banana: :banana: :banana: Made my day!

But still, a new processor is still on the top of my upgrade list.

Comment

i find it easier to look at pictures than to read TomsHardware has a nice guide

Comment

Originally posted by sgt-Sander-NL
                          Unless it's a 2.2GHz Core 2, in which case you can forget any of that. I remember the benchmarks, the E6300 was ripping AMD's flagship CPU to pieces!!!

Comment

Originally posted by camperstruck
                            Unless it's a 2.2GHz Core 2, in which case you can forget any of that. I remember the benchmarks, the E6300 was ripping AMD's flagship CPU to pieces!!!
                            that's right, about a year ago AMD used to be the way to go but Core 2 Duo is very fast. I really need to upgrade to:laugh: .

Comment

Well, AMD was shredding Intel 8 years straight, what goes around comes around.

Comment

Working...
                              X