Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gaming Attitudes in general

Originally posted by stalker2200
    Not that it affects me, but I'm just seeing this BF2 attitude spreading to even free online games.

So I ask, is it really the game, or is our culture just radically changing. Because more and more I see my brother becoming one of the asses you can (normally) easily find on a round of BF2.
    Online games have been this way for YEARS. My friends were uber pwnzorz in Quake, and were the same way. Anytime there is an autonomous way to be victorious over others, there is going to be an attitude like that present.

Comment

Originally posted by Stilla-Killa
      I think they do it b/c they can get away with it. I highly doubt they would do that to someone face to face.
      exactly

Comment

Originally posted by Touch my balls
        Online games have been this way for YEARS. My friends were uber pwnzorz in Quake, and were the same way. Anytime there is an autonomous way to be victorious over others, there is going to be an attitude like that present.
        QFT.

Comment

Really? I don't remember the teabaggig mentality, the bad sportsmanship, using 'newbie' as an insulting expression, and clans were a lot tighter and organized back then, and had goals... Gaming wasn't so hardcore serious as it seems to be now. How could it be serious with a bunch of Duke Nukems running around putting tripmines on doors and such?

Comment

The attitudes of children today have the early 70's to thank for their creation.

If it wasn't for the self-indulgent generation of yester-year, today's generation wouldn't have grown up to be so self-centered.

Anyhow, the third generation since the 'me' time in American culture is now coming to their teenage years, and you are bound to see an even bigger and more resounding boom of voices crying out, "ME! ME! ME!"

All you can do is to know better; and to teach your own children to be compassionate and considerate, instead of self-centered and egocentric.

Of course, even the most polite child in the world is bound to show a more darker side in an online video game that promotes individualism, and anonymity. Thats probably because parents don't monitor their kid's online usage, and thus don't help them to understand the nuances of the internet. Either that or the Parent is a self-righteous individual who prefers to blame the internet for it's evils... going so far as to sue online companies for mistakes made by their child.

I hate humanity.

Comment

It's the rush. The epinephrine that is released for us true gamers is released because the game is fun. The adrenaline for the voip/chat tards, comes from calling people names or making thier gaming experience miserable. Best to not even respond to them. Trying to stick up for ourselves to someone with pimples and homework, makes us hypocrites. Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by ent|ty
                Really? I don't remember the teabaggig mentality, the bad sportsmanship, using 'newbie' as an insulting expression, and clans were a lot tighter and organized back then, and had goals... Gaming wasn't so hardcore serious as it seems to be now. How could it be serious with a bunch of Duke Nukems running around putting tripmines on doors and such?
                Consider yourself lucky then. I had a bunch of friends that were leet Quake players, tournements, leagues etc...and they were very much as bad, if not worse than anyone out there today.

Comment

yeh i thik our culture is changing to dramaticly im in year 10 and ive seen the change in the year 7's that come every year and they just get worse and worse they now start on you cos they are " 'ard "

Comment

Consider yourself lucky then. I had a bunch of friends that were leet Quake players, tournements, leagues etc...and they were very much as bad, if not worse than anyone out there today.
                    And I had a bunch of friends and their competitors who were leet Quake players, tournaments, leagues, etc, that weren't. Sure there was the odd spaz in the group (I know I was), but it was never out of hate for someone else. Sure there was that element as you say, but I still don't think the attitude was as bad as today. But hey, we're always diametrically opposed in all our posts aren't we?

Comment

Originally posted by stalker2200
                      So I ask, is it really the game, or is our culture just radically changing. Because more and more I see my brother becoming one of the asses you can (normally) easily find on a round of BF2.
                      Hey. I guess, if you could say a word of defense about your brother, it's that he's 12 years old. The sad thing is when you see stuff like that from an adult. I'm not sure if the current situation suggests that there's just a bunch of little kids out there playing the game, or if there's a bunch of under-developed adults.

Personally, I don't play online multi-player games with people only. I LOVE Coop games, because you can play the regular game with friends or people you know. Jumping onto a server with a bunch of unknowns is usually an experiment in tolerance.

Also, my friends and I tend to play realistically. That is, we make staying alive job one. If we're the only ones holding a position, and the enemy is pouring it on and we're outnumbered, we get out of Dodge in a hurry. Most people out there just run around jumping, throwing grenades and attacking constantly. It usually is more comical than exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by ILikePortillos
                        Hey. I guess, if you could say a word of defense about your brother, it's that he's 12 years old. The sad thing is when you see stuff like that from an adult. I'm not sure if the current situation suggests that there's just a bunch of little kids out there playing the game, or if there's a bunch of under-developed adults..
                        I've been guilty in the past of arguing with people on the internet, totally pissed off at how they were acting, and forgot that some of them ARE 12-year-olds, and not to waste my time.

You wonder why this guy is acting irrational, or immature, then you get in a spat with the person trying to get them to change their attitude, but it isn't going to happen. When I find out the person was 16 years old, and all full of piss and vinegar, I feel stupid for even having engaged him.

So it's not that some adults are 'under-developed'. We just forget there are younger kids online, and to allow for their behaviour and not get caught up in it - thinking it's someone our age acting irrational.

Comment

Its not the kids, trust me. You can easily identity a kid from an adult simply by the spelling and the type of attack. The simple "FU A**** [insert random curseword and n00b]" you can expect from a kid. The general attitude of people being patronizing, plain arrogant and selfish is the problem. And arguing in the chat screen, which Im personally guilty of.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield
                            plain arrogant and selfish is the problem.
                            These two factors are by far the most annoying and destructive to a community IMO. After all pre-release interviews with one of the leads at Dice (I think it was Dice) talked about how they wanted teamwork to be a part of the process.

Most people in BF2 especially vBF2 are so selfish, I still think its because they can hide behind the persona that they can create very easily after all no-one here knows my real name, my house address or phone number so as soon as I disconnect from BF2, chances are I'm not going to hear anything about my actions ever again.

Comment

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Comment

Working...
                              X