Gaming Attitudes in general

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming Attitudes in general

Ok, I know this has been posted. But this is becoming too much, and it isn't just battlefield anymore. One example is of my younger brother, 12 years old, who is now into the game runescape, some of you may have heard of it, I'm not sure.

It's basically an online game where you go around and communicate with other players and complete quests and the sort. But my brother, his attitude towards the game is way too extreme.

After asking for me to see something about his character, I will watch him log on, and IMMEDIATELY start calling people noobs, for no reason. He also scams people on the game and is a complete a$$h0le on it. Not that it affects me, but I'm just seeing this BF2 attitude spreading to even free online games.

So I ask, is it really the game, or is our culture just radically changing. Because more and more I see my brother becoming one of the asses you can (normally) easily find on a round of BF2.

Re: Gaming Attitudes in general

I think they do it b/c they can get away with it. I highly doubt they would do that to someone face to face.

Comment

Originally posted by stalker2200
      Ok, I know this has been posted. But this is becoming too much, and it isn't just battlefield anymore. One example is of my younger brother, 12 years old, who is now into the game runescape, some of you may have heard of it, I'm not sure.

It's basically an online game where you go around and communicate with other players and complete quests and the sort. But my brother, his attitude towards the game is way too extreme.

After asking for me to see something about his character, I will watch him log on, and IMMEDIATELY start calling people noobs, for no reason. He also scams people on the game and is a complete a$$h0le on it. Not that it affects me, but I'm just seeing this BF2 attitude spreading to even free online games.

So I ask, is it really the game, or is our culture just radically changing. Because more and more I see my brother becoming one of the asses you can (normally) easily find on a round of BF2.
      LOL, runescape.

Anyway, it is definitely spreading, I was watching some guy play WoW last night (don't ask) and these lvl 68 horde came to a lvl 30 or so alliance zone apparently (sorry if I mix up terminology) and were shouting things over chat like "****ing noob's!!! WE PWN YOU ALL DAY@!!@!@!@" And yes, the ! and @ symbols were in there....Apparently, it was not even a pvp server, they had to duel or somesuch, so they were just there to be smacktards....

Comment

Gaming going mainstream IMO, will attract more players and therefore more idiots. Thing is communities for certain games are worse than others. I started playing Defcon again yesterday and immediately I noticed a HUGE difference in the attitude that the players have there were no insults just friendly banter. IIRC Runescape has a fairly terrible community.

I just hope that it doesn't diminish further.

Comment

well, the internet does bad things. it makes people feel invincible, because if you talk to trash to someone online, theres no chance that someone is going to come and beat the living **** out of you, whereas that could very well happen in person. atleast thats my philosophy

Comment

Originally posted by stalker2200

Our culture is changing to not respect anyone or anything, to mistrust others, to be cynical, and question everything, and second-guess everyone around us.

As far as gaming goes, I find pretty much every game is turned into a deathmatch - it's all about individual score and glory. It aint Quake TF community, who was very much into teamwork and clan glory. Now it's just a group of individuals with a clan tag on. I could write an essay about the change in online gamers since I started, but I'm not going to.

Comment

lol many people get amazingly pissed of when you do that
              plus he probably was called a noob at his first time playing so is now mentally crippled to respect new players

Some people do differenciate between a new player and a noob player but some (like you said are just ***es).

Its basically the fact that you can say that your superior to another person thus giving yourself a greater improtance then them.
              we all like to feel loved even if it's from ourselves XD

Comment

I hate the word "noob".

Comment

Its not anything to do with the game its the new gaming generation of kids atm. Maybe your parents should give him an old fashioned kick up the backside. Not to offend you but for my mind its the lack of supervision kids get these days. A computer has become and electronic babysitter and the kids seem to be rarely supervised when on it. Or maybe you as a big brother can give him a few dead arms and tell him to wake up to himself, lead by example.

The attitude seems like, they are at home, in their room and they aren't bothering the parents and not getting into trouble and that's all "some" parents care about.

I speak from experience myself as a parent and seeing other parents doing this. Its like "what harm can they do or what trouble can they get into" very blaise attitude. I monitor my kid whilst he plays to make sure he doesn't get any of these bad habits.

Comment

Originally posted by Envy337
                    I hate the word "noob".
                    grow some skin and a back bone NOOB!(joke mate)

i often call others a noob because it seems there all having a tea party on my minimap and im out capping flags seriously who puts there back to the enemy

just laugh it off like tea bagging(i think thats imature) its just a game

Comment

I have a lousy attitude in the game. I dont start sh!t, but I do give a LOT of it back. I kind of enjoy it. Truth is, in real life, Im a laid back person, I never get angry or anything. When in game, I can be a real assh0le. Im working on my problem :P.

Comment

Some people seem to forget...... it's just a game.

Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by T@rty
                          Some people seem to forget...... it's just a game.

Have fun!
                          Which is exactly why a lot of people allow themselves to behave the way they do. I swear someone would take the Nobel prize for making a research on it .

You log off, it wont bite you in the arse.

Its not an excuse, its just an observation made watching other people, and myself.

Comment

yeah i agree with most people's views.. their gaming attitude is different from their real life attitude. I know mine is, when i mouth off the people in battlefield, chances are im laughing on the other end. People just get the wrong impression, i just dont take peoples messages seriously.

as far as the battlefield attitude going to runescape, i definetly disagree. Years back when i was much younger i admit i played that game, and the fact that you can steal "swords" and "shields" just makes kids develop these attitudes. Notice nobody cares about stealing bf2 accounts, because really theres nothing to give away, unless your really low and like to laugh at a ruining people's stats. I've stopped playing those stupid types of games where you can "scam" people.

Comment

Originally posted by <<R2>>Capt.HKS
                              Its not anything to do with the game its the new gaming generation of kids atm. Maybe your parents should give him an old fashioned kick up the backside. Not to offend you but for my mind its the lack of supervision kids get these days. A computer has become and electronic babysitter and the kids seem to be rarely supervised when on it. Or maybe you as a big brother can give him a few dead arms and tell him to wake up to himself, lead by example.

The attitude seems like, they are at home, in their room and they aren't bothering the parents and not getting into trouble and that's all "some" parents care about.

I speak from experience myself as a parent and seeing other parents doing this. Its like "what harm can they do or what trouble can they get into" very blaise attitude. I monitor my kid whilst he plays to make sure he doesn't get any of these bad habits.
                              Couldn't say it better myself.

Yes, I've noticed the newest generation are total idiots & smacktards.

Well, if there's ever a problem, you can always go the same way Spatacas (sp? Sorry! ) did with KillTimRussert... that'll teach em. :evil:

As for Runescape... yes, it's in shambles. Plenty of people yelling at one another, calling each other noobs & scamming each other, I had a Gnomeball stolen from me... Runescape sucks. I don't play anymore. My own brother was a little bit of a stuck-up smacktard when he got to the higher levels, but he wasn't nearly as bad as some people, like his friends. No one offers help, no one patiently explains some aspects of the game... it's always 'Go away, n00b'. Disgraceful. Runescape just isn't really fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X