Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why did POE flop in australia?is it the same in USA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: why did POE flop in australia?is it the same in USA?

Chris_Redfield, just try talking to players about downloading mods and you will get the awnser what ive said every time in 1 shape or anouther. They dont want to ditch vBF2.

Also for your knowlage, PR has not been a mini-mod from 0.4

if you dont understand why it aint a huge leap from BF2, you should give it afew days of play to see why. Yes its using the same conent but the gameplay is totaly diffrent and thats the thing we are aiming for.

Comment

Both PR and POE are totaly different from BF2. Both are much better products than BF2. I prefer POE myself but both are very well done.

I think the other big issue is people do not know what is a mod. When I play BF2 and try to talk to my squad or in chat talk about mods... nobody knows what I am talking about. I would bet that 90% of BF2 players have no idea what is a mod.

Comment

The big question is how to reach the players, how to tell them about the viable mods, where to download them, give them decent playing instructions, get them in populated servers with mature players using VOIP. Most of them would be grabbed away from vBF2 in an instant you assume.

Unfortunately I know highly intelligent people who seem fixated with the ranking systems offered to them in vBF2 and vBF2142. You cannot persuade them to download a free mod whilst they are going out spending £35 on the next game from EA, then spending more on booster packs when the next build from a mod including similar features is free

Mods are created for the community, by people who obviously want to stick their own held ideas in, but the communities get a say. Being associated with the PR mod I had already downloaded all the mods I could and tried them out just to see how the modders have affected the game and done one better over EA. I don't refuse to download things beause I want my next unlock, or whatever other reasons people refuse to try them out for. One main answer to why specific people won't download the reality mod is that "it doesn't sound fun" !!! It's a game, not a simulator. We have groups of people playing it and having a right laugh. The reality of the game mod we see more as fixing the game, ie. the bullets we fire actually go in the direction we fired them in! Second to that comes realistic uniforms, equipment, weapons, vehicles.

If for any reason someone should try out a mod that isn't simply a skin job, it is to explore the capabilities of the game after it has been tweaked.

Did we ever have a list of which staff at EA had actually had military experience that might actually help towards writing the physics in the games they produce? After all, they set the franchise in realistic locations, historical battles, etc. It is not the UT franchise and so we don't expect to see bunnyhopping railgun, firing super warriors on crack bouncing around our screens.

Comment

interesting discussion and many valid points being made. I think the biggest reason people won't play mods is because they think they will no longer be able to play BF2 for some reason, I have heard this so many times & even though I try to tell them that it has no effect on vBF2 that both are playable by the click of a desktop icon, they just don't want to take the risk..

Also EA's lack of support to the mod community is shocking & insulting to say the least, "Mod Light"? what a joke that was and now seems to be redundant, they have been showing that 1.41 load up screen for months now. It is clear that EA view the modding community as a threat to their "pay" mods.. I play POE almost exclusively, though I will give Reality a lash with .5 - i'm also really looking forward to FH2.

After a while more players are bound to be like myself and eventually want different game play to what vBF2 offers, once they realise stats don't mean **** and the spell is broken they will discover that fans have taken the BF2 engine and ultimately produced much more rewarding game's in terms of skill and enjoyment. thank you all mod makers..

Comment

I hate the discussions about why people arent playing ______ mod.

JUST PLAY THE DAMN MODS ALREADY, QUIT TALKING ABOUT WHY PEOPLE ARENT

I will tell you this. I have spent years modding BF. The lack of players has made me seriously consider not doing so in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Garabaldi
              Why was FH for BF1942 so popular, then? It didn't stray from the WW2 theme.
              Because at that time, the whole BF concept was new.
              BattlePaint is also very different, yet it hasn't drawn many players.

Same thing with BF2 Sandbox.
              Because these mods are for screwing around once or twice. They are interesting to check in, but they are not player keepers.

Originally posted by Rhino
              Chris_Redfield, just try talking to players about downloading mods and you will get the awnser what ive said every time in 1 shape or anouther. They dont want to ditch vBF2
              I know a guy who has Vanilla installed for PR, and plays the Demo for Vanilla. And I have sh!tload of people on my xfire list who play the Demo, and not Vanilla. Contrary to popular belief, its not the ribbons and badges that keep the players, its the habbit, and the fact that they are not willing to change the games where they are potentially not good enough to enjoy it. Part of that fear is that they are put into similar environment (hence, not long enough leap away), but the enjoyement level is still the same degraded BF2 experience.

Also for your knowlage, PR has not been a mini-mod from 0.4
              Minimod and PR were not even in the same sentence

if you dont understand why it aint a huge leap from BF2, you should give it afew days of play to see why. Yes its using the same conent but the gameplay is totaly diffrent and thats the thing we are aiming for.
              Night and day in African desert. Different temperatures, same old god damn desert. Get my point? Youre attracting niche players. Good for you. You want a masse? Come up with something that attracks the masse.

Stats are a part of the problem why mods are flopping, they arent THE problem, as POE2 stats system has proven.

Comment

Originally posted by jilted
                I hate the discussions about why people arent playing ______ mod.

JUST PLAY THE DAMN MODS ALREADY, QUIT TALKING ABOUT WHY PEOPLE ARENT

I will tell you this. I have spent years modding BF. The lack of players has made me seriously consider not doing so in the future.

x2

Comment

Originally posted by Rhino
                  x2
                  i think the serious lack of mods being planned for 2142 is your feelings manifiested

Comment

I like PRM.

Comment

that deathmatch mod had a lot of potential....the tiny maps really stunk it up. I kind of imagined cs 1.6 type deathmatch utilizing 16-32 player maps with spawnpoints scattered throughout the map with instant respawn, every man for himself or team deathmatch.

Comment

Working...
                      X