In game freeze up then resumes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: In game freeze up then resumes

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm skeptical that my graphics card is at fault. I've had this problem with both an ATI 9550 and recently with a GeFORCE 6200. The temporary freezes happen at times that seem to be independent of how long I've been playing the game. Neither card is overclocked to my knowledge. The freezing happens only with bf2 online and not in single player mode nor with any other game or application. I've been through both the ATI and NVIDIA tweak guides but they don't offer anything that I haven't already tried. I've twiddled with various bf2 setting but nothing seems to help isolate where the problem might be. Geeze, I'm really tired of dropping those gernades on my toes when I get frozen. :cry:

Comment

Just an update on my particular problem with bf2 freezing then resuming after 5 to10 seconds or so: I tried yet another graphics card, this one an ATI x1600 pro. Same freezing problem as before so I was absolutely convinced the freezing problem had nothing to do with the graphics hardware.

I then began suspecting my installation or Punkbuster or a combination of the two. I uninstalled bf2 and reinstalled it on another hard drive. So far I have NOT had the game freeze. I previously had bf2 installed on a USB 2.0 drive. When I reinstalled it this time I used the default drive which is the system IDE drive.

Even though the USB drive data transfer rate is slower than the IDE I don’t think this should have been the problem and it wasn’t for singleplayer mode but MAYBE the combination of Punkbuster, bf2 and USB don’t get along very well. I have only anecdotal evidence to support this statement. Maybe the experts can comment.

I’m hopeful that the problem went away.

Comment

Originally posted by neverask
        Even though the USB drive data transfer rate is slower than the IDE
        Just a slight understatement. USB 1.1 is major league slower. USB 2 is still slow enough to affect the load time and play of the game in comparrison to an IDE or better yet, a SATA drive.

Comment

Working...
        X