The Palit 7300GT Sonic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Palit 7300GT Sonic

After being stuck with a typical lacking oem motherboard without a PCIe 16 slot, I've finally got round to this xmas when all the money reels in for upgrades. But so far things are a little tight. My bday is on the 3rd of January and it's usually then that I get the second half of money i receive.

Currently I have £130 from xmas (not as much as last year, but it's good). So estimating around an equal second sum i should have £260 to spend on upgrades.

Firstly, I selected a motherboard that fits in my current case (micro ATX here), has PCIe 16 and I'd fancy an upgrade to DDR2 533 aswell. The Asus P5VD2-MX was the perfect choice here (it even has onboard video incase the gpu i buy clogs out on me).

For RAM I plan to buy 2gigs of Corsair Value DDR2 533.

Now for the main issue. With the above selections (which were the cheapest on scan.co.uk), I only have £63 to spend on the GPU and BF2. I can get BF2 for £12 at GAME leaving me with a mere £51.

The best card I could find is the Palit 7300GT Sonic, which despite being a 7300GT runs at 1GHz GDDR3 and 500MHz gpu along 8 px pipelines.

The cooling and card size make it look rather weak, but according to this review w/ tests; it plays BF2 on high settings @ my 1024x768 at 87FPS and 58FPS. This is on a system with half the ram i plan to buy and at an slightly slower CPU speed (I have a P4 516 @ 2.93ghz).

Although I'm a cautious and sometimes skeptical person, has anyone here got the Palit 7300GT Sonic?, I would be really greatfull if anyone could confirm or deny the reviews I have read or pass any comments about the system.

If all goes to plan the system will be:
    -300W PSU
    -P4 516 @ 2.93Ghz (lga775)
    -Palit 7300GT Sonic 256MB, 8px pipes, 1ghz gddr3, 500mhz core
    -2gigs of ddr2 533 ram

Re: The Palit 7300GT Sonic

I can confirm that you might, just, be able to play BF2 on low graphics. Seriously... 7300gt is pretty aweful

Comment

Ya its pretty bad.

But with 2GB RAM & a decent CPU you could probably pull off medium.
      8 pipelines is pretty good & according to the review it isnt terrible weaker than a 7600GT.

Just dont be dissapointed if it runs Bf2 badly. Bf2 is very GPU intensive.

My x800XL also sports GDDR3 memory & has 16 pipelines...I can run all high at 40-100FPS.

I'd really try to get something better if I were you.

Comment

go for a 7600 gt at the least there cheap and can run on high.

Comment

I suggest picking up a 7600gs/x800_ for fairly cheap. Both nice cards

Comment

functionally a 7300 will be a small step up from onboard graphics (except in cases like BF2 where onboard simply won't run the game).

save a little more money and get a x1650pro

Leading the way in bespoke PC systems and PC gaming, any and all of your components & peripherals needs are met with our vast range of products and services.

or preferably, a little more and get the x1650xt

Leading the way in bespoke PC systems and PC gaming, any and all of your components & peripherals needs are met with our vast range of products and services.

or a 7600gt

If you blow 51 british monetary units plus vat on a 7300 expecting to enjoy 3d gaming, you're going to be dissapointed.

Comment

Thanks guys! Rememeber you are reffering to the Palit Sonic version which has faster speeds than most 7300GTs though... My concerns are price & power with these suggested cards. The better the card, the more chance my 300w psu will be too little. You guys have been very very helpfull, thanks!

But anyway, taking your advice I found a Sapphire X1600 with 12 px pipes 800mhz gddr2 and 500mhz gpu.

[url=http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=462635]Sapphire X1650Pro 12px pipes 1350MHz GDDR3 mem and 450mhz GPU (slower)

Heres a 7600GS with the same gddr3 mem speed as the 7300gt but again a slower gpu speed. :hmm: You sure it's better?

Comment

the 7600 is loads better trust me.

Comment

very careful with recommendations--neither the x1650 series nor the 7600 series will pull enough power to blow a 300W psu.

both would be preferable, but the 1650xt would be tops in the mid-range (no need to buy a upper-end psu) class.

edit: i would take the 7600 over the x1600, but i would take the x1650 over the 7600, also.

google "x1650 review" (make it x1650xt for more specifics) for the reasons why.

Comment

This review shows High-Settings BF2 on a Sapphire Radeon X1650 PRO getting an average of 47.3 FPS when played @ 1024x768 2xAA 4xAF, and a 7600GS getting 49.4FPS at the same settings.

I couldn't find any reviews of the Sapphire X1650XT which could give me an idea of BF2's performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Xylaquin
                      This review shows High-Settings BF2 on a Sapphire Radeon X1650 PRO getting an average of 47.3 FPS when played @ 1024x768 2xAA 4xAF, and a 7600GS getting 49.4FPS at the same settings.

I couldn't find any reviews of the Sapphire X1650XT which could give me an idea of BF2's performance.
                      Powercolor x1650xt with same specs reviewed Dec.6 here:

Comment

Don't buy 7300GT, or GS. Both suck TBH.

I've got 7600GT, with 2GB RAM and my brand new C2D E6600 it can handle all settings full, expect antialiasing.

I'd recommend you to buy one of the Intel Core 2 Duo - series, + nVidia GeForce 7600GT / 7900GT.

Never go for GS.

Comment

If now buy an Asus P5VD2-MX mobo, 2gigs of DDR2 533 ram and the Sapphire Radeon X1650XT that puts me at £280- not including bf2 itself (£292). This is all assuming i'd get more than what i've already got in the second half (I have £130 atm, and usually get the rest of my money on the 3rd of January). By a stroke of luck if I do get atleast the same £130 again, that's £32 under the preffered goal. Hell knows what'll happen if I get less than equal.

If luck comes my way however i guess it's between the x1650xt and the 7600gt. I found an excellent review here which compare the performance of the two cards on various games including bf2- (notably, the resolution is 1280x1024 in the tests with 1gig as oppose to my 1024x768 monitor with 2gig).

Comment

Someone has recommended I buy an Abit motherboard which I can use both DDR 1 & 2 on. He says I should buy that motherboard, then use the remaining money to buy the graphics card, powersupply and game, then buy the DDR2 ram later.

So how well would BF2 run on:
                            P4 2.93GHz
                            512 DDR 3200 Ram (oh dear)
                            Leadtek 7950GT

Comment

Originally posted by Xylaquin
                              So how well would BF2 run on:
                              P4 2.93GHz
                              512 DDR 3200 Ram (oh dear)
                              Leadtek 7950GT
                              Somebody remind me--doesn't BF2 along with most open windows processes like to use about 780mb of memory? I don't think 512mb would make game play very good, and it would make the time it takes to load a map pretty awful.

I'd get another stick of cheap 512mb stick of pc3200 (maybe even 1.0gb to bring you up to 1.5gb) and then set the sights just a little lower on the gpu for the best "right now" bf2 performance in your budget. The processor is just fine--I have a p4 3.0, 2x512mb, and an x800xt and I can run with geometries/view distance high, 1280x1024, 2xaa, lighting med, dynamic light med, shadows off, textures medium, and I get around 40-50 fps, with occasional bogs down in the 20's in the middle of densely populated arty strikes. It's not spectacular, but it's very playable, I don't get nailed because of lag (now that WILL kill your fun), and the scenery is acceptably smooth.

Comment

Working...
                              X