Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are people seriouslly this stupid?

Originally posted by Giantbstard
    This is not sarcasm but a real question. Is it actually possible to practice gunning in single player mode. Do the bots actually line you up for shots rather than just flying in a fairly random manner?
    Nah, never unfortunately. The only way to practice is probably to get a friend and play BF2 together on an empty LAN server or something. If you two don't have 2 computers and a way to link them (or anything that's required to run BF2 on either computer); go to a respectable net cafe nearby that has the game and go knock yourselves out.

Lining up for shots is easy; except you need specific knowledge on where exactly the TV missile camera is pointed to on various helos (USMC helos are just about spot on to the crosshair, PLA helos are a little lower, sort of between the crosshair and the funny bar with the little square in it, and the MEC helos- is about just above that funny bar thing with the square in it - thats beneath the pilot's crosshair).

It would be more worthwhile to practice using the cannons; since they vary in power, trajectory and speed.

Comment

I've got to admit, I really struggle with the TVM. I just can't seem to react quickly enough to its movements. It seems like it hits the ground almost as soon as it fires.

I only give it a try now and again, usually when a chopper pilot actually hovers above me and asks me to get in. I've been fortunate enough to have a couple of patient pilots and if they keep us in the air long enough, then things start to improve a little. I've got to admit it is very satisfying taking out a tank.

The other problem i have is actually identifying targets. I frequently am unsure if the tank is friendly or enemy and by the time i am sure - well i've messed up the shot.

Sorry - that sounds like I am seeking help. I'm not - i'm just letting you expert pilots see what us crap gunners are thinking.

Comment

I've got to admit, I really struggle with the TVM. I just can't seem to react quickly enough to its movements. It seems like it hits the ground almost as soon as it fires.

I only give it a try now and again, usually when a chopper pilot actually hovers above me and asks me to get in. I've been fortunate enough to have a couple of patient pilots and if they keep us in the air long enough, then things start to improve a little. I've got to admit it is very satisfying taking out a tank.

The other problem i have is actually identifying targets. I frequently am unsure if the tank is friendly or enemy and by the time i am sure - well i've messed up the shot.

Sorry - that sounds like I am seeking help. Its now - i'm just letting you expert pilots see what us crap gunners are thinking.
        No worries man. It would definately help if you read the tips and tricks section- I think there's a few helo threads in there that would teach you everything you need to know.

Something tells me that your TVM is having some kind of delay when you launch it- it might be a connection or hardware performance problem. Set your graphics settings to low.

If you can be more specific about your TVM problem, I'm sure you'll get all the help you need.

Oh yeah, and as with identifying targets; if it's a vehicle- it's always worth the effort to use the 'spotted' radio command on those units- it's the best way to determine if its an enemy or not. If it says: "Enemy Armour Spotted" - that means there are enemy units in that armour. But if it says: "Enemy unit spotted" it would mean that it can't find any specific unit in the tank, thus it is either a friendly, or its empty.

Comment

Originally posted by Six.
          Something tells me that your TVM is having some kind of delay when you launch it- it might be a connection or hardware performance problem. Set your graphics settings to low.
          Or it might just be that now that i'm getting on a bit - my reactions just aren't what they were!

Thanks for your help though. I might have a go on a friends pc this weekend just to make sure it really is just me!

Comment

Or it might just be that now that i'm getting on a bit - my reactions just aren't what they were!

Thanks for your help though. I might have a go on a friends pc this weekend just to make sure it really is just me!
            There is a way to test fire your TVMs on a local server- just prop your helo on the edge of a building on any map- and the TV missile should be able to fire without hitting the ground first.

While you're doing that, you could even set yourself a few targets for the helo to fire at- ones in different places (in front of the helo, in the distance of course) so you can test your accuracy with the moving TVM.

Comment

That all sounds very good in principle but you assume i have enough control while flying a chopper to get it to the edge of a building. Unfortunately this is not the case. I can just about get one in the air and to a flag. After that, i've got to jump out or crash....

But i suppose i get to practise two skills with your suggestion though - flying and gunning

Comment

Look at the helicopter as a ball on a limited, rigid flat surface. If you were to tilt the surface in a way that moves the ball upwards, you would have to apply the exact force in the opposite direction for the same amount of time to make it stop in its tracks. If you can understand this, you will have an easier time learning to fly.

Comment

Well, 2 completely different things, but it would be best if you become proficient at both because you can at least get a feel of how difficult either task is, and what it takes to effectively work cooperatively in a helo.

Flying is easy- the moment you get used to how you're meant to move the mouse, you'll be fine. Just a little hint- you can let go of the 'thrust' button (or 'W'- your forward key) to make your helo hover; that way, you can concentrate on controlling the chopper. when you gain enough altitude. Oh yeah, by the way- make sure the 'invert mouse' option is on in the 'helicopter' controls menu, or else it'll fly weird.

Actually- this might help you visualise how to best control the helo:
                  Think of the mouse that interfaces with the helo as a tennis ball on a stiff, thick piece of square cardboard. When the helo hovers- the tennis ball is in the center of the square, and the square is level. When you move the mouse forward- you are tipping the square so that the ball is rolling forwards. If you keep the cardboard tipped forwards (i.e: keep rolling the mouse forwards), your helo will eventually flip, and most likely crash, unless you have enough altitude to do a flip. The idea is: to know when to stop tipping the square (moving the mouse in a particular direction) so that the ball doesn't fall off the square (losing control of the helo).

Try the square and the tennis ball in real life- and you'll understand how to fly the helo in BF2 soon enough. To start off- both you need to take the control slowly and gently.

Originally posted by Sloi
                  Look at the helicopter as a ball on a limited, rigid flat surface. If you were to tilt the surface in a way that moves the ball upwards, you would have to apply the exact force in the opposite direction for the same amount of time to make it stop in its tracks. If you can understand this, you will have an easier time learning to fly.
                  GAH! you beat me to it! except, the explanation should be relative to how it should interface with the movement of the mouse though, so HAH! lol :laugh:

Comment

Working...
                  X