Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone explain why no one follows squad orders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone explain why no one follows squad orders?

... or give examples where this has happened to you:

I'm in a squad and the squad leader says to the squad "defend this position". So I figure I'll do my bit, right? Anyway I set myself up in a defensive position and what does the squad (including the leader) do? They wander off as soon as they see where the main battle is. I'm left on my own and I'm soon killed by the first enemy guy who's competent enough not to walk into my field of fire.

I mean what's the point of squad orders if the squad - including the leader - does anything but follow them?

I've spent all of today on servers where the people just wander from one hotspot to the next like some simple-minded sheep and leave their flanks completely undefended (except for stupid me who's left to do it alone). It's really frustrating when you lose every single engagement because you happen to be playing with a bunch of bozos who don't care about winning and just want to be in a firefight.

Re: Can anyone explain why no one follows squad orders?

People dont play defense. Unless it is your last flag.

You play offense, until you have all the flags, that is the point.

I wish they had a dual-conquest where you had to capture flags in a certain order. This would centralize all battles, and make it so that teams play defense. Sorta like unreal tournament.

Comment

they dont care...its all about stats these days...thats why i dont bother going in squads anymore

Comment

I've been a squad leader for about 10 hours or so and my squads are outstanding. It's just what I would've expected. They follow direction well for me. If you name your squad "Mics Only" or some team oriented name, you'll get team players that want to contribute. I love squads and I do much better as a leader/member of them.

Comment

Originally posted by ActiveMatx
          People dont play defense. Unless it is your last flag.

You play offense, until you have all the flags, that is the point..
          Surely the point is to win the maps. You cannot win by just going after one flag at a time without mounting any defence. That's a recipe for losing every time unless you're playing against a bunch of idiots who are doing the exact same thing. The side that keeps having to retake ground over and over again is going to lose because attacking tends to be more costly than defence.

Comment

Originally posted by Beery
            Surely the point is to win the maps. You cannot win by just going after one flag at a time without mounting any defence. That's a recipe for losing every time unless you're playing against a bunch of idiots who are doing the exact same thing. The side that keeps having to retake ground over and over again is going to lose because attacking tends to be more costly than defence.
            When I see they have moved away from a flag I usually flag hop my squad. Still works with the BH you just cant get the points you used to.

Remember when you didnt have to get out of the transport to take a flag. Mushtar used to last like 5 min.

Comment

For a newbie like me, I often found my ears overwhelmed with all the spam radio commands like "enemy xxx spotted" and would ignore what my leader said. Actually when I think about it, I did hear his orders. But it just didn't seem to have any major effects on me because my attention was not focused on the radio at all.

BUT, if the leader uses teamspeak then it's a whole different story. It draws my full attention and I'd do my best to execute his orders. I think VOIP is what's really meant for leading and commanding. A real human voice is something one cannot ignore.

Comment

I'm in a squad and the squad leader says to the squad "defend this position". So I figure I'll do my bit, right? Anyway I set myself up in a defensive position and what does the squad (including the leader) do? They wander off as soon as they see where the main battle is. I'm left on my own and I'm soon killed by the first enemy guy who's competent enough not to walk into my field of fire.

I mean what's the point of squad orders if the squad - including the leader - does anything but follow them?

I've spent all of today on servers where the people just wander from one hotspot to the next like some simple-minded sheep and leave their flanks completely undefended (except for stupid me who's left to do it alone). It's really frustrating when you lose every single engagement because you happen to be playing with a bunch of bozos who don't care about winning and just want to be in a firefight.
                Don't join public servers- join open clan servers- their players usually intend on good teamwork rather than mindlessly accumulating points.

I once had to command a whole team-full of people who do nothing but move mindlessly from one point to another (Zatar Wetlands, 32 Player); I tried to order a few squads to help defend key points (in anticipation of enemy movements, and of course, maintaining footholds on the battlefield), to no avail- they all insisted on getting some action... so yes, I had to adapt to that- and help them attack... in anticipation of enemy movements (i.e.: "meet the enemy here- forget about defending *sigh*").

We were beginning to lose... but then people started listening! (they all finally realised I was able to see enemy movements from above... :hmm: and realised my telling them "go here!" wasn't because I was some biatch from above, it was more the fact that every place I tell them to "go here!" get turned into an enemy CP within 30 seconds to a minute).

However, I was happy to recieve my veteran command badge in that round, and I sure as hell deserved it. I got a few thank-yous for leading, and even a mention that I was vital to their victory; which was a surprise in a ranked server :laugh: .

Comment

The command could have been passed down from the commander. There's been more then a few times where I've accepted a command before really looking at it (to busy trying not to die or something).. Then when I open the map I see something stupid like the commander wanting us to traverse the entire map to repair his arty... those orders get ignored.

Comment

I personally have given up on squads. Every now and then I get into a good one, with a leader that is using a mic, and then its easy, and the game is really enjoyable.

I've also stopped taking flags with a squad. Too many times have I been in a squad, trying to take a flag, only to get artied, or even defending an area, and getting all wiped out. Arty ruins teamwork. I now hang back, picking off guys that are threatening to squad from afar. Ofcourse, you sometimes get kicked from squads because the leader thinks you're not helping.

I also think too much data is thrown onto the screen at once, and it makes you lose what your squad leaders and team mates are saying. Especially with commanders spamming "enemy spotted", it just gets too clustered.

Comment

Originally posted by Hedgie
                      I personally have given up on squads. Every now and then I get into a good one, with a leader that is using a mic, and then its easy, and the game is really enjoyable.

I've also stopped taking flags with a squad. Too many times have I been in a squad, trying to take a flag, only to get artied, or even defending an area, and getting all wiped out. Arty ruins teamwork. I now hang back, picking off guys that are threatening to squad from afar. Ofcourse, you sometimes get kicked from squads because the leader thinks you're not helping.

I also think too much data is thrown onto the screen at once, and it makes you lose what your squad leaders and team mates are saying. Especially with commanders spamming "enemy spotted", it just gets too clustered.
                      Play on clan based server (a good clan at that) - and just stick with the squad, don't worry too much about anything else- your most important asset is your squadmates... and your ***[donkey]- but your squadmates will be watching your ***[donkey], so you shouldn't be worrying about your ***[donkey], and just worry about your squadmates asses, and they'll worry about yours for you.

(*** denotes the 'A'-word, var. 'behind', 'buttocks', 'bot-bot', or another word for the animal 'donkey'; unfortunately here they don't allow the 'a' word... somehow 'asses' was allowed however)

Comment

Originally posted by startover
                        ...if the leader uses teamspeak then it's a whole different story. It draws my full attention and I'd do my best to execute his orders. I think VOIP is what's really meant for leading and commanding. A real human voice is something one cannot ignore.
                        Well this isn't just a case of the squad not obeying the leader. In this case the leader himself didn't do what he wanted his squad to do. This was the most frustrating thing for me. I mean a leader should lead his squad, not wander away wherever he likes.

Comment

In FFA public servers, people care about points.. You can be lucky sometimes, where ppl actually stick around with you in a squad.

Comment

U had a shight squad leader. When i'm squad leader I kik any1 that's not playing as a team. If u fly u get kiked too(unless in a cobra actually watching u squads back & helping w/ flags OR BH transporting us). All i have to do is look at who's w/ us & find the odd ball. What is really funny to me are the goofs that are across the map asking for supplies/arti support-rofl receives a negative & a kik when the next available moment comes up. Another gd way to spot a decent squad is by checking to see if it's locked-not all the time but I've found most squads that are locked are decent squads(unless the squad leader is a pilot).

Comment

more often than not though, it's much easier to just go off and capture more flags than to defend (especially if it's a huge group coming to attack the flag). save tickets is the main goal, so don't lose tickets by defending a hopeless flag, go capture an easy flag to counter that flag that just got captured.

if you have a really good commander with voip and constantly on the mic, then yeah, defending flag might be worthwhile.

also, as a squad leader i do that also (telling squad to defend while i go off). why? as squad leader i like to offer alternate spawn positions that aren't near flag spawns. it gives the team more coverage on the map. they can always spawn off that flag that needs defending.

Comment

Working...
                              X