a few n00b questions about bf2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a few n00b questions about bf2

hey everyone, firstly, i am a n00b to battlefield2 and online gaming, but not to playing first person games (basically im clueless with online communities etc but i know my way round a battlefield), secondly sorry if this question is burried 200 times amongst the thousands of posts so please, dont flame me.

ok basically whats the deal with different patches? i have the game and thats it. i notice a serious lack of servers, players on these servers, and generally not a lot of variation with regards to maps and scenarios etc... what patches r worth getting...

also how do you go about building ur stats and ranks etc? once u patch or modify ur game (say a ww2 patch) can you switch between that and standard?

what do u do after u patch ur game? r any patches 'illegal' in the online world etc etc

nyone who could shed a little light would become my personal hero lol

izza

Re: a few n00b questions about bf2

Originally posted by 85izza85
    hey everyone, firstly, i am a n00b to battlefield2 and online gaming, but not to playing first person games (basically im clueless with online communities etc but i know my way round a battlefield), secondly sorry if this question is burried 200 times amongst the thousands of posts so please, dont flame me.

ok basically whats the deal with different patches? i have the game and thats it. i notice a serious lack of servers, players on these servers, and generally not a lot of variation with regards to maps and scenarios etc... what patches r worth getting...

also how do you go about building ur stats and ranks etc? once u patch or modify ur game (say a ww2 patch) can you switch between that and standard?

what do u do after u patch ur game? r any patches 'illegal' in the online world etc etc

nyone who could shed a little light would become my personal hero lol

izza

The patch worth getting obviously is 1.4

Yes you can switch between the mod and vanilla bf2

Well I guess after you patch you play, and only install patched released by Ea (sometimes do more harm then good)

Comment

always get the latest patch.

it just brings the game to the version that all the servers play.

a patch is one by EA

a mod is a community-made add-on. it doesn't affect bf2 AT ALL. All it does is add a folder to the "mods" directory to allow different things in BF2. It never EVER affects how normal bf2 plays no matter how many you have installed.

So mods you can download all you want.

Patches can only be found here (always get the latest):

ftp://largedownloads.ea.com/pub/patches/BF2

That is the OFFICAL EA site. These patches do affect the entire bf2 platform, but will allow you to keep up with all the servers.

Comment

Be sure to get the full 1.4 Patch the incremntals cause alot of diffcaulty

Comment

thanks guys i know a fair bit about computers and i do a lot of graphic design but 3d stuff and software editing aren't really my strong points.

the game looks like it has a LOT of variation in styles and playability so im looking forward to getting stuck in lol

after i get a patch is it just a case of loading up the game to the usual server screen? how do u know which servers have which mods other than maybe just the title?

iv been signed off work with glandular fever indefinately so i dare say il have plenty of time to fart about with it

last question......i see all the ranked servers are red will that change with the update patch?

il get my coat lol

Comment

What patches are WORTH getting?
            WOW, that was the noobest thing I have ever heard.
            YOU NEED ALL THE PATCHES!!!!!! you can't go around with a patch you like, you will not find any server if you do that. You need every patch from 1.12 to 1.4

Comment

Originally posted by Eye_of_god
              YOU NEED ALL THE PATCHES!!!!!! you can't go around with a patch you like, you will not find any server if you do that. You need every patch from 1.12 to 1.4
              k i think theres wires crossed here, im more meaning mods...

Comment

you're not too bright are ya kid?

Comment

Woah, easy!

Give him a chance he's asking nicely.

izza, if ranked servers are showing up red, you don't have the latest patch installed.

What you need to do once downloaded is run the .exe file and it will automatically install all the relevant components. Just make sure you have the 1.4 full patch, this contains all previous patches as well as the latest one, that should be all you need to play on a ranked server.

Once you get that working you can start looking at mods and stuff if you want.

Hope that helps

Comment

You need every patch from 1.12 to 1.4
                    that is the most noobish statement i've heard in a while

you only need ONE patch. the latest (as long as its the full patch)

and just because you were mean - i'll be mean

idiot.

Comment

hey izza most people on these forums are pretty nice, theres just a few bad apples, but yes, do what the others have said. Make sure you have the latest patch, and download mods to your hearts content, see you on the battlefield

Comment

lol cheers guys, its ok im on several airsoft forums n dozens of music producer sites so i know the deal. iv got the 1.4 patch now just need to install it. lookin forward to gettin stuck in and getting those ranks shakin up lol thanks again ppl, see u on the front

Comment

Download PoE2 its a class mod

Comment

PoE 2 is by far one of the best made mods out there, especially for a full convertion

Comment

Sorry for getting off track about the patches thing
                              I get confusstioned about things sometimes

Comment

Working...
                              X