• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: There is a Problem With Your Connection

Thanks for all the replies, but ...

I've updated "pbweb.exe" and I scanned my conputer for any spyware or
    adware that might be on my computer (using Windows Defender Beta 2
    and the latest version of Spybot) and nothing was found on my machine.

Result = still the same issue ... as soon as I join a server, I get a message
    "There is a problem with your connection" and I get back to the game
    browser ... and by the way, I don't have a dual core CPU ... see my
    specs at the bottom ...

Actually, there's only 2 servers within my favorites where I can still play
    without any problem ... no connection issue ... but just can't find out why
    the problem don't happen on these two, but do on all the others ...

Still searching ... but now I have 2 options .... I will delete all my favorites
    and add them back ... OR ... I will re-install Windows (and BF2) and see
    what happen ...

I will keep you posted ... see ya soon !

Comment

wow, reinstall windows?! i would hold off on that unless you have a spare machine lying around to mess with. this has to be an EA or PB issue....what else can it be? something wacky is going on and you can be sure neither EA or PB will own up to it.

Comment

Ok after some more testing I seem to be running stable.
        Again, off a clean windows format/install the problem continued.
        However, this time I did a few things different:

1-When updating punkbuster I did a manual update (on both client and security files) and then ran the PBsetup tool.
        Both can be found here: http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=dl-bf2.php

2-While this probably does not play any part in this problem, it may be worth mentioning. This time around I totally disabled automatic updating in Windows. I really think this may be an unnecessary step because I always had it enabled prior to 1.4, but again, it may play a part so who knows.

3-When in game, I used the cvar "PB_sleep 500" to reduce the number of scans PB did on my game (default is 20 and no this will not get you kicked it's perfectly legal).

About 4.5 hours of playing has not produced a single connection error after taking these three steps.

Granted, some people are probably having the usual driver/firewall/port issues that can be associated with this problem, but for those of you who got the error 1-2 weeks after 1.4 came out like I did, try those steps and see what happens.

Comment

I got the same problem and I just started playing the game after 2 yrs of not playing. Anyone found a fix yet?

Comment

just put in another 2 hours, not one drop.
            Hope it stays this way.

Comment

JSR - if I read you correctly, you reckon the fix is to update pb, and set the scan rate, nothing else ?

Comment

hey jsr, do you have both pbsec and pbsecsv in your pb folder or only one of them? for some reason i had pbsecsv which is for servers, i added pbsec off of punkbusters website as well as the other htm files, both of which i already had (i just replaced the old files with the new ones) - anyway, i'm still having connection problems. this sucks!

"fair enough people"..? hey os.dw - grow up. how many times do people have to tell you that "dual core" is not the problem in this case. if you have nothing to add, dont.

Comment

Originally posted by jsr
                  There are two ways to update punkbuster, I've tried both PBsetup and manual updating, neither had any effect.

And yes I run a dual core and this is NOT the source of my problem.

I'm 100% positive of this because I actually popped out my FX-60 and put in an old 3500+, it still does it.

I'm not saying Firewall, ports, dual-core, anti-virus, drivers and whatnot should be overlooked, of course they should not.

But remember, we are not talking about people who are having general connection issues, we are talking about people who have run perfectly fine for the better part of a year and EXACTLY 1-2 weeks after we upgraded to 1.4, our troubles began.

Let's try to eliminate some things here and see if those having this "1-2 week after installing 1.4" problem have anything in common.

Hardware:

AMD FX-60 (have tried with and without cool & quiet cpu drivers)
                  Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe (fresh flash of 1205 BIOS w/ pure stock settings)
                  2 GB Corsair XMS 3500 PRO
                  SB Audigy 2 ZS (current drivers)
                  evga 7950 GX2 (current drivers)
                  logitech mx 518 (current drivers)

Software:

I'm not going to bother with this because when I started trouble shooting this, I did full system formats and installed NOTHING aside from the above listed drivers.

Line connection: cable 10mb down, 900 up.
                  pretty much same here agree 100% it almost seems like some sort of virus spreading through the servers,which isnt the case but some sort of glich with the patch?

Comment

Had this problem for two weeks.****AND FIXED IT****

The problem: In game connection lost...various time and places....up to 5/6 times a game. Most of the time it would kick me from the server...lost points/kills etc.....AHHHHH

I called the cable company _Comcast, no issues (they came to the house)
                    I updated all my drivers....1.4 reload, clean out the computer....ran spyware programs, etc........search every form on the internet:

I reloaded BF2 on my seconed computer, same problem....

Replaced the motorola cable modem....Fixed......

The modem didn't have any signs of failer (greens lights blinking etc...) or act like it was broken (I would watch it when I would lose connection) it would a pass all cable speed test with flying colors, but once replaced I had no issue at all....I did go to a Linsksys cable modem, but I don't belive that makes a dif.....

I hope this helps somebody.....Good Luck.

Comment

interesting...i thought about this, but my motorola cable modem is only about 3 months old - i picked it up at a best buy to replace the old piece of junk that comcast gave me. i'll have to grab another one and see if this fixes the problem. if not i can always return it.

Comment

OK, there seems to be more than one issue at play here. Firstup, just to establish creds, I have been in IT, and specifically in large distr system development since 87, so I know a bit about code structure, webcode etc.

It is obvious that ea cast this error as a catch all. So far, I have seen confirmed reports of fixing the error by:

1. Updating the cable modem.

2. Re-installing or updating nvidia drivers

3. updating pb and setting the sleep parm

4. setting the cpu affinity.

A lot of people slammed the guy that brought up point 4, but guess what, point 3 did nothing for me, but point 4 cleared up the problem to a degree. I am running an athlon+ on socket am2. I changed my cpu affinity, and now instead of simply being dumped out to multiplayer, I get a lag, with the yellow "problem with your connection" error. After a second or so, I recover, and carry on playing.

So this is what I think is happening: There is a degree of fault tolerence built into the game. Any number of issues, such as lost packets, network driver issues etc could invoke this code. The dual proc issue has nothing to do with the lost connection, but it is interfearing with the game's ability to recover and report the problem.

Personally, the "problem with connection" and lag is WAY preferable to the "lost connection" error. The next thing I will be trying is a cable modem upgrade, since my modem is pretty old.

Comment

Here is how I solved my "problem with your connection"

The maximum view distance was set at 100% so I set it to 91% and it worked flawlessly. I dunno if it has to do with the ATI 6.9 drivers or what else; but that is how it solved my problem.

Im gonna try some settings my ATI Control center and see if that affects it.

Comment

Originally posted by amashinga
                            JSR - if I read you correctly, you reckon the fix is to update pb, and set the scan rate, nothing else ?
                            Manual update and ran the PBSetup tool, set the scan rate to 500 and disabled Windows updating.
                            This is ALL I did off a fresh format/Windows install and for the first time, I'm stable.

Originally posted by WingNutz
                            hey jsr, do you have both pbsec and pbsecsv in your pb folder or only one of them? for some reason i had pbsecsv which is for servers, i added pbsec off of punkbusters website as well as the other htm files, both of which i already had (i just replaced the old files with the new ones) - anyway, i'm still having connection problems. this sucks!
                            I have both the pbsecsv and pbsec files, I also have both of them in the generic folder on my desktop I run PBSetup out of.

Originally posted by Dolphine6565
                            Had this problem for two weeks.****AND FIXED IT****

The problem: In game connection lost...various time and places....up to 5/6 times a game. Most of the time it would kick me from the server...lost points/kills etc.....AHHHHH

I called the cable company _Comcast, no issues (they came to the house)
                            I updated all my drivers....1.4 reload, clean out the computer....ran spyware programs, etc........search every form on the internet:

I reloaded BF2 on my seconed computer, same problem....

Replaced the motorola cable modem....Fixed......

The modem didn't have any signs of failer (greens lights blinking etc...) or act like it was broken (I would watch it when I would lose connection) it would a pass all cable speed test with flying colors, but once replaced I had no issue at all....I did go to a Linsksys cable modem, but I don't belive that makes a dif.....

I hope this helps somebody.....Good Luck.
                            I actually got a new modem (Arris) prior to this problem and it worked fine, then the problem started, now it's fine again.

I'm on Time Warner chode runner for what it's worth.

Originally posted by WingNutz
                            interesting...i thought about this, but my motorola cable modem is only about 3 months old - i picked it up at a best buy to replace the old piece of junk that comcast gave me. i'll have to grab another one and see if this fixes the problem. if not i can always return it.
                            Honestly, you and the guy above you have two major things in common, I would bet almost anything his problem is your problem.

Originally posted by DANK
                            Here is how I solved my "problem with your connection"

The maximum view distance was set at 100% so I set it to 91% and it worked flawlessly. I dunno if it has to do with the ATI 6.9 drivers or what else; but that is how it solved my problem.

Im gonna try some settings my ATI Control center and see if that affects it.
                            I'm on nvidia and I've never used anything other than 100%.
                            Interesting find, it might help for any ATI users to try this if they have this problem.

Comment

!!! PROBLEM FIXED !!!

Ok ... it's VERY important that you guys understand that out of BF2, I had NO
                              problems with my internet connection, everything was PERFECT for browsing
                              the internet, email and for my other games ...

Just before formatting my entire machine to re-install Windows, I had a little
                              feeling to reset all of my local network hardware ... I have a 16 port switch,
                              a router and a DSL modem ... so I took the plug off the wall on them, I did
                              wait for a few minutes ans turn them back on ... once the switch, router &
                              modem re-initialized and came back online, I tryed to browse the web and
                              everything was perfect, so I launched BF2 ... I tryed to join a server that I
                              knew was giving me the issue ... and ...

!!! SURPRISE !!!
                              No more message telling me that "There is a problem with your connection",
                              I tryed a second server that was also giving me the error, and no more
                              message ... Woohoo !!! Problem FIXED !!!

Well ... it's kinda weird that I had no problems with any other game, or for
                              any other web related software, but just for BF2 ... So before formatting
                              your machine, just try to turn OFF your modem, router and switch, and
                              back ON ... for me it DID fixed my connection issues with BF2 ... I can't tell
                              if it was my DSL modem, my router or switch, but it was one of these three.

So we were right ... the problem wat NOT in my computer, and it was NOT
                              my ISP ...

Thanks for all your replies, and keep on playing guys !
                              See you on the Battlefield !

Best Regards, Zucko

Comment

Glad you got it fixed.
                                But in my case (still running fine, it seemed the PB deal fixed it) I bypassed my router and ran the cable modem direct into my onboard LAN (I tried the hard reset too like you did).
                                It still did it.

The problem with this error is it's, very generic.
                                10 people getting it will find 10 different causes it seems...

:hmm:

Comment

Working...
                                X