A question for helicopter gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A question for helicopter gurus

played last nite with the best heli pilot I've ever flown with, guy called rickyxmoore, man was he good. Lined me up for TV after TV shot which i duly missed lol never had such a bad round of shooting, could be something to do with my 0.5 K/D lol. My VOIP doesnt work + didn't have his xfire so couldn't find out where he was from.

Comment

Originally posted by colmmlynch
      played last nite with the best heli pilot I've ever flown with, guy called rickyxmoore, man was he good. Lined me up for TV after TV...
      Yeah thats how I try to fly also. I use rockets only when absolutelly necessary. If my gunner misses and enemy doesn't recon us, I try to keep quiet and sneak closer and better position for gunner to shoot ( I just wish more gunners that could keep their finggers out of cannon trigger). I try to observe gunner targeting movements and I always line the target as good as I can. After helos rockets were reduced to 8 / cannister, it's more vital to use rockets in right manner. I consider myself pretty good with the rockets I almost never miss a ground targets and I am getting better and better against helos, but as TV missile is one hit weapon, it's not wise to take a risk to get too close and expose the copter to bigger threat. There usually are so many eager pilots waiting respawning helo to apper, better stay in air.

Comment

all you guys that say "aim for a certain part of the helo" are clueless
        or are simply shooting your mouth off to say how good you think you are
        and the guy that said aim where the helo "USED to be" - how dumb =
        you always shoot where it will be (ie lead a moving target)

99% of the shooters cannot get close to a moving target
        so why are there so many comments to aim for a 'certain sport'????

most important thing is to lead them like shooting ducks
        then have to reclick
        our better gunners - avg 2-3 click per shot
        (some folks click non-stop - but none of us - and as my 3 main gunners have over 60,000 kills between them and over 30,000 kills with me as pilot
        I think we know what we are doing )

back to advice
        practice in an empty server -[with a pilot - ]
        at least 15-30 mins at time for couple different days
        vs NON-moving targets
        have the pilot hover still = with target centered !
        yes - EASY - but you need to get a solid feel for the missile and its 'quirks'
        then have him hover still with the target at the edge of your screen where you have to make a big correction

do all the above a different ranges
        do it until you have 98% hit rate

then do it all over again with him in slow flight
        then do it all again with him flying fast

until you are GREAT at doing this vs NON-moving targets on the ground
        why waste your time with fighting helos?

then ask a 3rd pal to come in a drive tanks for you to chase
        then have him fly helos STRAIGHT and steady
        and have you gun approach from multiple angles

all this needs to be done without the stress of being shot at in a game
        once you have all this down, you will ROCK in a game

BTW
        as you can tell - I consider myself well above avg as attack pilot
        but as a gunner - I was REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLy Bad
        the above training stuff - I did for MYSELF
        and it worked GREAT - I am still not a GREAT gunner, as are several in my clan
        but my hit rate vs ground targets went from 5% to 90% and vs transport helo went from 1% to 80/90%
        and for attack helo (if he does not see us) from 0% to 80% and if he sees us to about 33%

in other words - I practiced what I preached before I preached it
        and we now have all new clan guys that want to learn to gun - go through similar (informal training) and even several of our experienced guys did this and have doubled their hit rates

semper fi

Comment

If you only click a handful of times, you run a serious risk of the missile not redirecting: I strongly suggest you adopt a consistent and rapid clicking pattern. A good guideline would be 3 clicks a second...

Like I said in the past: the angle of flight, speed, direction and your personal ability to predict the target's location at a particular time will strongly influence your efficiency with TV missiles: work on 'guestimating' where the target will be and with proper clicking, you shouldn't miss more than 5% of linear targets.

You can always check out my videos for an idea...

Comment

Thanks Greg, your answer is really pervasive. Your method the same I used with my buddies in both practising bombing and TVing. We were not as thorough as you were but we got some results also.

All you say is good information for all beginners. I am not a total noob I can hit ground targets pretty well. As I said to Sloi there is much to learn but I am not the worst there is against helos anymore. My problem is a 100% hit with no result. I am totally positive that my missiles hit the target, but instead of explosion missile goes stright through. I am pretty sure that u know what I mean.

Now, there a handfull of players who concentrate only helos and TV missiles and who are extremelly good with those. Me being a some sort of all weather GI Joe playing what ever role is required, my actual "combat" experience as helo gunner is just a fragment of the gurus. I would like to know if they have noticed some sort of tendency of good targeting point that gives good result in situation what I described (face to face with other copter).

My addition to Gregs splendid advises for beginners is; Take ur time. Better not shoot at all and save the missile for better moment, than getting in situation where pilot lines you perfectly up and you are loading because you just shot your missile within some desperate try.

Misfit has also great point, concentrate on the crosshair and the target, forget all disturbance happening in surroundings.

Oh well, no I sound like some sort of master myself witch I am not. Good advises given here, beginners read and learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloi
              If you only click a handful of times, you run a serious risk of the missile not redirecting: I strongly suggest you adopt a consistent and rapid clicking pattern. A good guideline would be 3 clicks a second...
              I couldn't agree more. If you don't click enough the missile will go straight through your target. And that's a fact.

Comment

[QUOTE=VidhI couldn't agree more. If you don't click enough the missile will go straight through your target. And that's a fact.[/QUOTE]

this is NOT always true
                we have done TONS of testing
                it is VERY dependant on Ping of both shooter and target
                and fps for both

it is very hard to do 3 clicks per second

and also - because the game runs asynchronous (means - each CPU is semi -independent of total process, but still needs validation for the remote server to animate the motion of the missile vs the target
                you might get stuck "chasing your tail" (overcorrecting like a car in a skid)

ergo - if rapid clicking works for you - fine
                but IMHO - few well placed clicks are better
                and this is what our guys do

and ref: missle going right through the target and not hitting
                I GUARANTEE you clicks has nothing to do with that . . .
                that is lag between your amimation and the server and the target !

also - my guess is 80% of the misses that people complain about
                are REALLY misses !

now = when you can see the missle go RIGHT THROUGH THE PILOTS Helmet !@!!!!!

now THAT is a MISS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Sloi

the angle of flight, speed, direction and your personal ability to predict the target's location at a particular time will strongly influence your efficiency with TV missiles: work on 'guestimating' where the target will be and with proper clicking, you shouldn't miss more than 5% of linear targets.
                agree - hence my advice on training
                and make sure your first click on a moving target includes "kentucy windage"

Comment

Originally posted by TopGunGreg
                  Meaning what

What is Kentacy windage??? Meaning doesn't open for me :cry:

Comment

this is NOT always true
                    we have done TONS of testing
                    it is VERY dependant on Ping of both shooter and target
                    and fps for both

it is very hard to do 3 clicks per second

Nah, it sounds like a lot but you would be surprised how easy it is. Well, unless you have CTS or another physical ailment.

ergo - if rapid clicking works for you - fine
                    but IMHO - few well placed clicks are better
                    and this is what our guys do

I don't want to place too much importance on the following observation, but it deserves to be mentioned: most high-calibre soloers and gunners use rapid clicking patterns... with good reason. I don't doubt that someone could have success with a handful of clicks, but against nimble helicopters, you will most likely fail to correct in time unless you have a commendable predictive ability.

and ref: missle going right through the target and not hitting
                    I GUARANTEE you clicks has nothing to do with that . . .
                    that is lag between your amimation and the server and the target !

That's most likely on Dice's side... but I've noticed that when I click faster, my success rate is considerably higher. Just something to keep in mind...

also - my guess is 80% of the misses that people complain about
                    are REALLY misses !

now = when you can see the missle go RIGHT THROUGH THE PILOTS Helmet !@!!!!!

now THAT is a MISS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, that's always great. Of course, then (as Murphy would have it) they hit YOU. Frustrating.

agree - hence my advice on training
                    Boldness for the win.

Comment

and the guy that said aim where the helo "USED to be" - how dumb =
                      you always shoot where it will be (ie lead a moving target)

and for attack helo (if he does not see us) from 0% to 80% and if he sees us to about 33%
                      Lol, I'm so not impressed
                      But the why of your misses is clear...
                      You'll do better if you aim where the chopper used to be...
                      Hitboxes lag behind... That's why it is usually best to aim for the tail rotor with a chopper in fast forward motion...
                      Keep that in mind...

Comment

How the heck u even do both of these things, flying and gunning? ive heard about ppl doin it but i found its impssible to do...im better at flying anyways...

Comment

Originally posted by Claydough
                          How the heck u even do both of these things, flying and gunning? ive heard about ppl doin it but i found its impssible to do...im better at flying anyways...
                          Watch my videos ;-)

I'll step it up a notch in the third one by using the actual machine gun as well. It's all about practice!

Comment

Originally posted by DooDaH
                            Lol, I'm so not impressed
                            You were NOT to be impressed with my helo skills as a gunner
                            but at how much I improved by practicing

Originally posted by ACE_FIN1972
                            Meaning what

What is Kentacy windage??? Meaning doesn't open for me :cry:
                            take a lead -
                            like shooting ducks, etc
                            used by the orignal hunters in the old colonial days

Comment

Working...
                            X