A question for helicopter gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for helicopter gurus

I asked this same question a few hours ago in "Chodda getting owned" thread but since it was moved to Media forum, I desided to renew my question in more active forum as this may puzzle many others too.

This question is pointed to TV missile gurus of these forums.

When dogfighting against other copter and we are facing each other. I fire TV and start tracking the enemy, where should I try to lead the missile? It seems that 70% of direct cockpit hits of mine goes stright through the hull with no explosion. This is so annoying because my overall hit% with TVs is about average and if 2 out of 3 succesfull shots are bugged, I'm beginning to be frustrated. Also does it affect targeting point if enemy copter is a bit below or above me?

Some posts are saying that tail rotor is the best place to hit, what do u say? Also if enemy is moving sideways, do I try to hit a bit ahead of copter if we are refering moving direction of the target, or after. This is somehow related to hitboxes, netcode and lag/ping but I can't get a grip of it.

(Sloi don't start with the "maybe my skills point to other direction" stuff, I love TVing, just need to practise more )

Re: A question for helicopter gurus

You need to lead the bird, always. Ya sometimes you can get a proximity explosion, but I find that leading will get you everwhere. B

But we need to get a couple of the pure helo pilots in here to comment.

Comment

Hmm... I could spend an hour making pictures of where to hit in what situation, but it may also be sufficient to say that the hitboxes lag behind...

So aim for where the chopper was like 1/4th of a second ago...
      (this depends a bit on the speed of the enemy chopper and it's orientation and direction)

Hope that is clear...

Comment

For head on confrontations I aim at the lower part oft enemy gunner position. Anything above that spot, has indeed a tendency to go right through the chopper.

From aside, depends on distance and speed of the enemy, I aim at upper part of the tip of the nose.

It's true, the cockpit and tail rotor give most hit/damage points but are hard to hit with tv-missiles.

Comment

It depends on your net connection and the hitboxes. In general, always lead the target and shrug off the missiles that don't register: nothin' u can do bout it bro...

Comment

A master never tells his secret
            xfire: chodda
            steam: w0ofz

Comment

... but then, you don't have any to share

*Homo* You're such a tease! */Homo*

Comment

I guess the 20+ people a day spamming me on xfire asking me to give them gunning tips were all imaginary >.<

ps: you people know who you are! :P (thanks though =) )
                xfire: chodda
                steam: w0ofz

Comment

Originally posted by Sloi
                  ... but then, you don't have any to share
                  lmao hahahahahah owned. all i can say is just keep playing and it'll eventually come to you(well the hitboxes in general) from just plain experience. not everyone tv guides the same just like not all pilots fly the same. find your own rhythmn and you'll be good to go. way to go though trying to get at it when its been out about a year and the next installment of the series is right around the corner :laugh: .

Comment

See, that's the way I look at it too: the game has been out for a year and people (well,*most... anyway) have found their niche. Additionally, they're most likely proficient in their chosen role so you'll have more to deal with during your learning process. Good luck though

Comment

lol on 'secrets'....

lead your target, concentrate on the xhair and the helo, dont let the periphrial (sp) action draw u away...and yeah, lots of the cockpit shots go right through...my best luck has been with the underside and the tail - the tail = a hit 99% of the time.

Comment

Thank you fellows for your kind answers.

All the other shots seems to be rather logical and I know just before if it's going to be a hit or not, but face to face is a mystery

Once i did try to hit lower but not much of an effect to tell. Mayby I didn't do it properly, I have to try again.

And yes Sloi my expertise is sniper rifle and this is my first flight simulator ever (or can we actually call this a flight simulation at all...what ever, at least BF2 flying is real fun) so first steps on a long road are taken, much to go

Comment

I find that where the tail and body connect/ the tail are 100% bug free.

When hitting Blackhawks, I usually have to pull the missile in at the last sec to register a hit 99% of the time. Meaning, not letting the missile fly straight at it, but off to the side a but and at last second clicking furiously on the floating bus of death.

Comment

well ive been TVing\flying for a couple of months only and I get the same problem sometimes but my bigest problem is the mood Im in, some peopole can gun no matter what mood they are in but I cant

Comment

Shoot the tail. Shooting the tail means you'll win.

Comment

Working...
                              X