dx 10 - wait to upgrade card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: dx 10 - wait to upgrade card?

here i had it all wrong all this time...i thought more ram meant better graphics. Man you guys are so informative!

Comment

Originally posted by lalande
      here i had it all wrong all this time...i thought more ram meant better graphics. Man you guys are so informative!
      No, more RAM often means "lots of cheap ram on a crap card to fool the general public". Let me put it another way, it'd be like have 10GB of RAM on a Celeron 2GHz, you'd just never use all the RAM.

Comment

got it...i got one for you now. im thinking of upgrading my board. i have a socket 478 with a celeron processor. if i keep the processor and upgrade the board, do i need to find a socket 478 board - i guess my question is - is a socket 478 the socket the processor fits on?

that is my board - i got a 1.5 gigs of ram. i want a new board and a new vid card....can i keep the celeron?

Comment

Socket 478 is a processor type - there were celeron and P4 socket 478 CPUs, requiring socket 478 motherboards. Why would you upgrade your board? It would give you no performance gain and socket 478 is 3 generations old.

Comment

i want to upgrade my board to get into a pci-e card. but i was hoping to keep my processor, and my 1.5 of ddr. I dont find it that its worth spending hte money on another AGP card. So Im stuck revamping an entire system...i was hoping to swap the board and card and keep all else. impossible?

maybe i wasnt clear, sorry. I have the board, socket 478, intel celeraon, agp - ati 9600 radeon, and 1.5 gigs of ddr. I want a pci-e card, so i thought hell, ill just replace the board...now ive got issues with keeping my processor and ram.

Comment

I dont think you can get a board with a PCI-E slot for your CPU, and to be honest, it would be a waste of time as your CPU is getting long in the tooth too. Your only real options are to buy a whole new PC (your RAM is out of date too), or just buy a decent AGP card like an X800 or 6800GT, both can be had for about $120 if you shop around.

Comment

****. i just bought this ram this week.

Comment

Yeah. Well just get a newer AGP card unless you want to drop about $600+.

Comment

Working...
                  X