Freezing with new 7600GTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezing with new 7600GTS

Read everything please: I just installed a EVGA 7600 GTS on my computer. Everything went fine with the installation and the card runs beautifully. After installing it i was able to play BF2 for a many hours without any problems. Today after playing about 1 hour of BF2 my whole comp freezes. It also happened when playing FEAR so its not BF2. Im either suspecting my PSU or that the card is over heating. Temp while idle: 54-55C full load: 65-68C. It may go about 2-3C higher but i havent checked the temps constantly while playing. My PSU is 350W with 12v @ 16A. The minimum requirements is 350W with 12v @ 18A. BTW I am using the forceware 84.21 drivers. Does anyone know what would be causing this? Any help is appreciated.

Full specs:
    MSI RS480M2-IL
    AMD64 3200+ 2.0Ghz
    1gb(2x512mb) DDR400
    EVGA 7600GTS
    80gb Hitachi HDD
    350W PSU

Re: Freezing with new 7600GTS

The good Sir people may be able to help.
    You may need a bigger power supply.
    An extra gig of ram would help general play.
    Other than that I'm sorry I don't know.

Comment

i had pretty bad overheating problems with my old XfX 6800gt. The problems i had sound like yours do... Eventually my gpu went craazay and started crazy trip inducing rainbow technicolor lightshows on my screen when i put it under any load----> then eventualy it happened everytime i turned the screen on...
      it got fried
      and now i have the [GV-NX76T256D-RH Geforce 7600GT] which has heatpipes and is realllllly ice cold under load... its flippin svvet

Comment

my 7800 GT is chargin!

as for your problem i have no idea

Comment

Originally posted by cloaker
          Read everything please: I just installed a EVGA 7600 GTS on my computer. Everything went fine with the installation and the card runs beautifully. After installing it i was able to play BF2 for a many hours without any problems. Today after playing about 1 hour of BF2 my whole comp freezes. It also happened when playing FEAR so its not BF2. Im either suspecting my PSU or that the card is over heating. Temp while idle: 54-55C full load: 65-68C. It may go about 2-3C higher but i havent checked the temps constantly while playing. My PSU is 350W with 12v @ 16A. The minimum requirements is 350W with 12v @ 18A. BTW I am using the forceware 84.21 drivers. Does anyone know what would be causing this? Any help is appreciated.

Full specs:
          MSI RS480M2-IL
          AMD64 3200+ 2.0Ghz
          1gb(2x512mb) DDR400
          EVGA 7600GTS
          80gb Hitachi HDD
          350W PSU
          I would def suggest a new PSU, i upgraded to a Hiper 580 Watt modular. cleaner power and more of it. I would also suggest bringing your card settings back a little bit too, it'll reduce the stress on the card greatly. I reckon you could do that just by turning the 2xAA you are running! Turn off dynamic lighting and shadows too, theyre a waste of time. I experimented lots with my 7600GT XXX and found a much better mix of settings, i started on all high with 2xAA. It ran fine cos i have a good system but it took me longer to load (not good) and it messed up the TV guided missile (seriousley it did)

Edit - also them temps are not bad. I done some checking when i first got mine, aparently theyre pretty normal loads. Maybe you could use a PCi slot extractor next to it? I have a small fan which blows air thru the front intake on my case, takes about 4/5c off the card alone. Nvidia control panel says the threshold is 115c on my card, runs usually about 50c. so i think you should be ok but its always good to check around.

Comment

So is the PSU about to fail? Are you sure it cant be anything else. Also i was once able to minimize BF2 whie it was frozen.

Comment

sounds very much like its sucking too much power from the 350w psu, most people have 500w or above these days, it might be worth popping into your local pc shop and asking if they have a 2nd hand one you could buy for a few quid just to try it

Comment

well if you have doubts about the PSU then i would try a new one. but try adjusting the video settings to take the strain off the card too, thats the first thing i would try. a good PSU would cost you about £60, i dont know what the equates to in dollars. by the way, curiosity is making me ask, do you have a power connector on the GFX card?

Comment

Get a new PSU, 350W aint going to cut it with the 7600 GTS, I got Dual 7600GS and they NEED 450W AT LEAST !!

So get a new PSU and try that.

Comment

Originally posted by turkeybaggins
                    do you have a power connector on the GFX card?
                    no i dont, there no where to put one.

Comment

Originally posted by cloaker
                      no i dont, there no where to put one.
                      ok forget it then, i just had to rule out a possible bad connection

have you tried pulling the settings back?

Comment

Originally posted by turkeybaggins
                        ok forget it then, i just had to rule out a possible bad connection

have you tried pulling the settings back?
                        I dont have time to try that today, but ill do it tomorrow. Thanks for all the help turkey.

Comment

agree that it will most likely be the PSU. If ur running on a 350W PSU, and u have motherobard, sound card, gfx card, optical drivers, dvd & cd? network card, RAM, etc all running at once there is great strain on the PSU, therefore it has to run something slower, ie the GFX card maybe your case, therefor its causing ur system to become unstable resulting in a crash.

Like turkeybaggins has suggested a top brand HIPER PSU, will most adequatly do you good in the long run.

Comment

The thing is its not crashing its just freezing and then the sound loops. Also it just did that right when clicked the join game button. Could it be something else?

Comment

possibly when you are clicking join game, its starting to push all that processing thru the GFX card. and with insufficient power it just cant take it. just for now, bring the settings back. it will take a big load off the card, if problem stops then you have more of an idea where the problem lies. its a tough one but everyone seems to agree that the PSU you have just isnt up to the job, if its faling the GFX card then its failing the whole system. so other things will fail

Comment

Working...
                              X