Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: shot out of pilots seat with a PKM?

Originally posted by ConscriptVirus
    and my guess is that it can penetrate glass since it can penetrate that metal fence easily in karkand
    You guess wrong

Comment

Get point blank on a chopper with a PKM to eliminate deviation and accuracy and try to take it out in 3 seconds. Think it will go boom? Try it with a 50cal off a vehicle. I can see 50cal, but not with a PKM. The damage has to be adjusted against armor, reducing your calculations.

I laugh at PKMers that try to take me out when I am in a chopper (uless I am on my bars of health). On any day or SF night map, it shows me where they are and either my gunner or me will take them out in short order.

I would consider it to be a glitch or rare anomoly if you actually got taken out as many have shot at choppers with PKMs, but it has never been widely reported.

Comment

i have taken out many choppers with the PKM. The other support guns work nicely as well. Lots of rounds to fire = damage. Not sure about 3 seconds though. Maybe if it was already smoking.

Comment

no just PKM can sucessfuly destroy a chopper

Comment

Correction:

I forgot to take the damage modifier into account, which is 0.05

So, multiplying the damage per second by that yields a revised DPS of 16.875.

This means a PKM fired constantly will take out an Apache in 51.85 seconds.

To test it, I just took out an Apache with 3 PKM magazines.

Taking overheat time (twice per magazine = 12.4 seconds) and reload time (2 reloads (1st mag already loaded) = 12.5 seconds) into account , we're talking about 77 seconds for one PKM to take out an Apache with full health, 38 seconds for 2, 26 seconds for 3, 19 seconds for 4, 15 seconds for 5, 12 seconds for a full squad with PKM.

So, bottom line, it is possible to kill an Apache with a PKM, but you'd most likely die before you did.

BUT, you *can* finish off a wounded/smoking chopper with a PKM.

Comment

hmmm... never heard of that. most likely a glitch.

Comment

Hmmm... never seen this before. I think I'll go try it and see if it works...

Comment

I verified this by changing the damage modifier and I took out the Apache with the PKM in two shots. Not bursts, shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Devil
                    So, bottom line, it is possible to kill an Apache with a PKM, but you'd most likely die before you did.

BUT, you *can* finish off a wounded/smoking chopper with a PKM.
                    I play support a lot and will engage choppers at every opportunity. Sometimes I get the kill, sometimes I get killed, but very often I can drive him off because pilots get flaky when their ship gets below 50 percent.

Often this is all that is needed since the aircraft has gone to repair and will be out of the fight for several minutes. Nothing more satisfying than seeing a base raper heading out with a trail of smoke...

Comment

I have even taken out the Seahawk with a pistol once , from what i figure BF2 gives the credits to who does the last damage before a vehicle is destroyed. In this case an airplane and a few ppl was firing at the heli at the same time but i guess my pistol shot was the last to hit before it exploded so I got the credit. Have happened when i have fired at some other vehicles a couple of times as well.

Comment

Ive noticed since the new patch the PKM has been more accurate. Even my mates said they have been getting owned by the PKM lately.

Comment

I have taken down tons of choppers with the PKM. TRhe trick is to take them out from the side and behind and only shoot when the gunner isnt pointed at you. I love it when a chopper pilot is circling a flag just spawn raping and half the time doesnt realize I am bleeding him dry until it's too late.

Comment

Originally posted by ulm4lyf
                            I have taken down tons of choppers with the PKM. TRhe trick is to take them out from the side and behind and only shoot when the gunner isnt pointed at you. I love it when a chopper pilot is circling a flag just spawn raping and half the time doesnt realize I am bleeding him dry until it's too late.
                            I will believe you for a moment that you have taken out "tons" of choppers, but the real trick is hiding for upwards of a minute while you slowly bleed the chopper, pilot not noticing his depleting health, nobody noticing where the firing is coming from, not being able to hear the direction of the shots, not having any UAV to generalize your location, not having a commander spotting you, etc etc etc... That's quite a trick. I can't imagine any decent pilot and gunner falling for that unless they were near death.

Comment

What can I say...It happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X