Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the barrel roll effective for dodging jet fire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is the barrel roll effective for dodging jet fire?

Oh man, I would've voted yes, but I thought it was jet to jet. I don't fly much in ranked servers, but if I do I solo and fly real high so they never find me.

Comment

Originally posted by vika09
      ^ true once again, Heli flare reload is very fast, even a j10's turning radius + speed will igve u time to reload.

but that isnt the topic, we are talking bout the machine gun.
      increasing throttle and gaining height usually puts pilots off!
      That's what I do^^ and it works nearly every time. I've got close to 500 hours in the choppers and the silent gunners are about the ONLY jets that shoot me down any more.

I think the barrel roll is totally worthless for anything but showing off ones "supposed" skills. It doesn't accomplish anything that other maneuvers can't. I often luck out and get in as a gunner with one of the barrel rolling ace pilots. He does a barrel roll just as were clearing the ship (or pad, etc) to show me how good he is, then fails to respond to any of my spotting, or crashes into a tree.

Comment

Determined pilots sometimes take me down but not with their weapons. I would say 9/10 times its with a good ole RAM. Nothing pisses me off more than Being 25-30 and 0, only to get it ended by a ram, from a pilot over eager to get the kill. Like most, I really don't like to die, especially in a bird.

Hell, sometimes I even get rammed by a friendly jet, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SKY ( as oppossed to the flightline). Really ticks me off when your doing good, and all of a sudden dead with 1 or 2 teamkills headed your way. All that space in the sky and a freindly wants the space I'm in. LAME!

Comment

Originally posted by vika09
          SPLIT S in a heli!!!! WOAH!!!

1. is that possible
          2. if it is, in my dreams i can do that...
          Sure it is. Honk back that stick and as soon as you are upside down whip the mouse off the desk and you should be right side up, no problem.

Good way to see which of your passengers are cowards.

Comment

I dont haVe a stick :'(

Anyone willing to donate...?

Comment

I usually pull back so I aim up and go full throttle then bring the nose down, basically you pull the brakes on him and he has to adjust more since you're getting closer to him then when you go down you make him adjust again pointing to the ground.

Just my opinion .

Comment

There are 2 ways i shoot down helos with a jet, firstly i spot the helo, ease of on the throttle and just pound them with machine gun fire, this usually works but if not i just go into bombing mode and when im nearly on them i switch and pow 9/10 times they go down! its a tricky one though!

Comment

I dont think it's effective for enemy fire, but I have noticed that if you are in a roll or flying inverted when firing a missle at an enemy plane they tend to track and hit more..

maybe it's just me, anyone else see this?

Comment

Upside heli + dumbfire = little tracking + higher accuracy has happened to me...

Comment

I almost always smoke and heli I come across. I will take a full throttle run guns only and if he’s not dead he’s smoking and I’ll get him second pass provided I’m not forced to break off because some other jet jockey noticed me. A split S is hard to keep the guns on him but on the second pass I’ll make he’s usually too low to try that again so I usually will have him. Another tip would be to take a round about route to a repair spot as if I know I made you smoke you’re getting repairs if I lost sight of you so guess where the first place I look is?

Comment

Originally posted by DarkHorse2160
                        I think the barrel roll is totally worthless for anything but showing off ones "supposed" skills. It doesn't accomplish anything that other maneuvers can't. I often luck out and get in as a gunner with one of the barrel rolling ace pilots. He does a barrel roll just as were clearing the ship (or pad, etc) to show me how good he is, then fails to respond to any of my spotting, or crashes into a tree.
                        You manage to survive an average of 2.5 minutes according to your stats.
                        I stay up an average of 4.2 minutes.

I say that barrel rolls work fine for evading jet cannon fire but isn't really needed unless the pilot is semi skilled. If the pilot is skilled you have no chance what so ever in the long run.

On the other hand against helos barrel rolls are almost as good as cover. Even skilled clan gunners have difficulty reaching 50% on a helicopters that's doing a correctly timed barrel roll. This is partly due to BF2's hitboxes and partly because of the high delta-v.

If you think the stats fight is unfair then let's meet up some time and play when I'm allowed to barrel roll to evade Hellfires and you're not.

Comment

Originally posted by funkypie
                          also spot enemy jets as often as you see them, you may think he is going to ignore you as he whizzes past only to crack you one in the *** a few secs later, even if your inf, always spot hostile air.
                          This is very helpful to those of us in Jets. We can then whone in on those enemy jets!

I don't know any really good ideas for Helo/Jet wars. I always use bomb mode to pick off helos. The missles are useless most of the time against them. Turn left or right I guess would be the best bet.

Comment

If I see a chopper it is dead sooner or later, especially if I know they are a good chopper team. If I am in the fighter, I assume it's my job to take out the chopper as often as possible. Barrel rolls and other tricks may work for one pass, but chances are I will get to it whether it's guns or missiles. Also if I see it a few times, I will slow the plane down on approach, keeping the chopper in the gun sights for longer or increase the lock time of the missiles.

If I am in bomb mode, you don't know you are being targeted until you see tracers or damage. If I don't get you with the guns, I switch quickly to A2A and spam fire with or without a lock (without a lock is just as deadly if you are lined up). If I haven't taken you out, you are at least smoking, leaving a trail to follow on the return pass. Life in a chopper on a map with planes is about hiding and getting kills while you can. You aren't going to go 50 and 0 against good pilots.

Also, after awhile, the stunt pilot eventually gets somewhat paranoid with every missile tone/lock and gun fire where they spend more time barrel rolling and worrying where the planes are than attacking targets.

Originally posted by ROE|IndianScout
                            I dont think it's effective for enemy fire, but I have noticed that if you are in a roll or flying inverted when firing a missle at an enemy plane they tend to track and hit more..

maybe it's just me, anyone else see this?
                            I get plenty of upside down/roll kills when attacking choppers with A2A, especially after they have flared. Not sure if it was coincidence or an unintended game mechanic.

Comment

I spin a 360 circle, pull back and while i do that, release flares.

If you do barrel roll in heli, make sure you are at 75 ALT

Comment

When flying an attack helo, I like to use the scenery as cover, especially when planes are known to be hunting. So if a plane passes me on the right side after making a pass at me, I will scramble to get on the left side of a building or tree and that way his next pass will be a miss. Often they get discouraged at this point b/c they didn't get their little 2 points, so their ADD kicks in and they go for some other point opportunity.

Turning sideways seems to work against TV missiles for the most part in my experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X