POE Artillery Mastered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POE Artillery Mastered

Mods I think I posted this in the wrong forum, Trying to keep this in the POE forums.

I have learned how to use the Artillery effectively enough to snipe moving infantry and tanks wherever they are.

I needed to be a commander to do this because the satellite view and supply drops are critical.

I confirmed that 700 yards is about the max range, I tried to go for 1000 but dont have any information.

400-700 yards is the best range for this work.

Instructions:

Be a commander, take the artillery drive it to a flat spot some where behind your friendly front lines in a safe area. (Usually near default)

When a target is spotted either using Q Comm Rose by a teammate or spotted visually on your zoomed in satellite view.

Orient the gun using a chart of ranges posted elsewhere on the forums, you can use the search under my name and find it, I think Chris Redfield is credited with building this chart.

Fire one shell, hit caps lock to zoom on selected target area before your shell arrives.

The boom in your headset should tell you how far, near or left/right of the zoom area. Sometimes if you line up on the enemy base flag perfectly the shell leaves a vapor trail as it zooms over.

Lower or raise your gun barrel until you are on target anywhere in your commander's zoom view.

Maintain fire zooming in with each shot fired to monitor the fall.

Most bases have fixed enemy or armor spawns that you can hammer on all day.

STOP FIRING when your team approaches the base. Let them KNOW that you have stopped firing so they can storm it.

Usually teammates will see the big arty rounds landing in the enemy town and wait a few minutes. (They dont trust you.) =)

For kicks when you think you have it... pick a enemy infantry man. Fire at him. He will run away from the nearby arty hit. Adjust your gun VERY slightly and fire again. This time he will run or die =) after a while the opponets understand that you can target them personally with the artillery and commander's satellite any time anywhere up to 700 yards.

That is a powerful path to victory friends.

Yes you will eat a few fratcides, that cannot be helped so communicate to your team.

My moment of realization of mastery arrived when there were three tanks together giving a friendly town a very hard time. I found the range to the town, added a few hundered feet and fired zoomed in on the three tanks. Within the 4th shot that was very close, one started retreating.

The 5th shell killed the two side by side for 4 kills and heavily damaged the 3rd tank that came back to the line.

My next target was a hovering enemy helo. I was that confident I could knock it down at 670 yards. he moved too fast for effective correction once the shells started falling below his hover spot.

I noticed that the enemy commander was firing HIS artillery and I was about to scan for him and engage him too. But between 700-1000+ yards the shooting is too problematic because your mouse cannot adjust the gun barrel that finely.

I will have to buy a gamer mouse that has a very very high DPI and adjustable sensitivity on the fly for the arty work.

Re: POE Artillery Mastered

thanks for the tips

Comment

The only problem now is that there is no incentive for drivers of arty who sit bored. If that driver happens to be a commander who loaded and verified faster than you did then there will be a problem with who gets to shoot the arty.

Commander says get out, I got satellite. Gunner says No way! Why that hurts the team as the arty sits unused.

I thought about driving the enemy commander to the edge of map and killing him or her and take it over but it's not worth it.

Therefore the best chance of getting command is to load and verify first. That means selecting servers that are very fast relative to your machine.

The arty is good, but not perfect because of the tensions between those who are commanders and those who dont have access to the satellite like the commander does.

I think the situation will worsen as people earn the ability to use the arty with the commander's satellite and becomes more common skill making the Arty just another item to fight over in addition to the one assault chopper or jets.

Having that in mind, I suggest observing a USMC Wheeled Artillery like the 155mm Gun system that needs a vehicle to tow it into battle. These cannons are usually set up on a firing position with a 360 degree traverse system so that it covers the entire compass up to 20 miles or more.

Setting up a actual battery of 6 155mm guns or the equivilant requring one person to man the gun each with a limited ammo supply will provide a more realistic experience for the game. Eliminating the single self propelled artillery should provide for less tension between the commander and his teammates.

The commander can be given a artillery spot icon which places a satellite view onto the enemy area to be fired at and each of the (Up to 6 if enough are manned) 6 guns in his battery can engage using that information.

That way people can fire arty and be a part of the team and have several people able to work together for a common purpose instead of several fighting over one asset.

There still needs to be a range trailer with satellite access and ability for each gun to use the satellite independantly. Spec ops can blow up the range trailer and prevent the arty's precise firing for a time.

The arty is good up to 800, on large maps they can be placed where it is extremely difficult to shoot at the enemy default (People will figure it out in a few months) and somehat hard for enemy air assets to get at them.

I think also it's necessary to give one of the classes a laser designator to allow a artillery copperhead type round to impact within a foot of the lasered spot anywhere on the map. That is probably more satisfying than just a set of binoculars.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy552(AWG)
        Mods I think I posted this in the wrong forum, Trying to keep this in the POE forums.
        Yup, ya did.

--Moved to PoE2 Mod Discussion--

Comment

of course this being the bottom part, and the box is the flag and 500M

Comment

I don't get it... ^

Comment

thats the bottom part of the arty sight, and I cant seem to find the thread your talking about with ranges.

Comment

I've been doing this since the first day of release. It would really be better not to spread it so they don't nerf this ability in an upcoming patch. The spotting system is screwy and thats if you can actually get someone to spot for you.

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderPimp
                  I've been doing this since the first day of release. It would really be better not to spread it so they don't nerf this ability in an upcoming patch. The spotting system is screwy and thats if you can actually get someone to spot for you.
                  Personally, I see it as an exploit and steps are already take to fix it. PoE2 developed the arti spotting to promote teamwork, CO should concentrate his effort on coordinating squads, not fiddling with dialing the arti.

link --> http://www.pointofexistence.com/foru...showtopic=9666

Comment

LOL!!

It didn't take long - I was wondering how long it would take before someone learned to pixel-aim..

Pixel-aiming - or "The Art of Using Arty without Spotting By Using Memorized Locations and Predermined Range Charts and/or Predetermined Aiming Spots from Fixed Positions" - was around in Desert Combat as well.

Maps are somewhat larger in Desert Combat and it's simply not possible to hit moving targets on the fly with arty - even with all the spotting in the world.

The SCUD can be pixel-aimed, but it's trajectory and the terrain features does limits it - and it certainly cannot be used to hit moving targets.

I'm glad to hear that the POE devs are taking steps - getting 50-0 while safely tucked away behind your own lines and using the Commander features to assist in laying down arty is mildly clever - but really more useful for helping develop a credible artillery-feature in the game.

Kudos to the poster who brought it up - even though she/he was having great success with it. It's in everyone's best long-term interest to find a reasonable balance.

Cheers :-)

Comment

Lah-Lah I remember ye!

I already started to defend my case "Courtroom Style" in the halls of public opinion on these forums. I think I stated my case quite... heavily in another artillery related thread.

One way or another they are going to do whatever they want with the artillery. I consider this time the "Happy Hour" before the last call.

One of the rules of military warfare is to strike the enemy deep behind his lines and save lives by disrupting and destroying his assets that are moving up to the front to KILL YOUR teammates.

Maybe I will regret bringing this up on the forums about the artillery and cause it to be nerfted or taken away. Regardless, Im tired of the constant dis-regard for very good things in military games that are considered a mechanic for gaining shiny medals and top ranks in stats. PHOOEY.

All I care about is victory. If we LOSE then we lost. One wins one loses. But I refuse to lose because of the rubber machine gun that sprays everywhere, artillery that wont shoot, spotters that wont spot. Tankers that dont tank properly and nursery school kinders running about default while rapers mow em down by the dozen for as long as the dying can stand to refresh the "Re-spawn" map screen.

Comment

Originally posted by UH60BHPilot
                        I don't get it... ^
                        i dont either...

Comment

Originally posted by mrpoptart01
                          i dont either...
                          Take a look at this forum thread link one.

Then when ready look at this screen shot developed by a artillery user for range finding:

The chart is not totally accurate and is affected by the ground, turret angle, recoil forces and errors in elevation. (Trees, hills etc) and possibly even the DPI Level of the optical mouse used.

A regular Optical Mouse may generate so much room between shots and a higer quality faster DPI gamer optical mouse may reduce the errors and generate more precise solutions for the arty.

I will be able to purchase one of the new mice next month and see if the hardware upgrade improves accuracy.

Comment

What I hate is now that I figured out how to use the Commander map to really target with the arty some idiot jumps in and start to drive around. I tell them to bail out or that I'm the commander and don't need a spotter but they go all out into a tank battle. I almost wish this could be a one person vehicle or I guess I should lace then arty with C4 and warn the guy that I will blow it.

Comment

Originally posted by sanman62
                              What I hate is now that I figured out how to use the Commander map to really target with the arty some idiot jumps in and start to drive around. I tell them to bail out or that I'm the commander and don't need a spotter but they go all out into a tank battle. I almost wish this could be a one person vehicle or I guess I should lace then arty with C4 and warn the guy that I will blow it.
                              Do it. Lace the darn thing and blow it. he or she is dead when they try to take that arty into a tank fight. They might get a few tanks but ultimately it is a waste. While they are driving to thier doom go back to the arty spawn and get ready for it to spawn.

When I move my own arty I usually go straight to pre-selected spots on the map that is on a notepad next to my computer. I use these specific spots for shooting. Everything becomes presighted in my mind over time.

Once a blue moon I will have a driver that actually knows what is going on and helps out. But in the life of the POE mod I had just 5 minutes with such a driver. Never again.

I usually park away from spawns where it is difficult to get to the arty so the noobs dont try to get it and drive off. Once in awhile I get one who jumps in and informs me that they are trying to get a few kill assist points and I dont see the point as stats are not recorded.

That is why I advocated established firing positions with the artillery on it's ring mount able to traverse thru 360 degrees and able to engage targets in the game world up to 1000 yards witn indirect fire. Only one person is needed to operate such a gun with up to 6 guns total. Add Copperhead guided ammo to the regular and possibly smoke (Illumination for night maps) and you have a functional artillery that does not require a driver and no problem as it wont go anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X