Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OH BOY in games ads for 2142

No 2142, No ads, no problem.

I dont mind an easter egg here and there and perhaps historical ads on COD.

But I refuse to whore my connection and machine to serve up ads in addition to the regular game load.

I like the idea of advertising bigger and faster hardware while you experience a game death due to lag etc... that is funny.

Comment

I don't care. At all.

Comment

Originally posted by MaceX
        I can imagine it now. You are about to kill an enemy and a popup box comes up telling you how to improve your skill by buying a new video card. Then you die when you close it.

gg

i was thinking the same thing, or that head-on commercial will pop up

Comment

Lol this isn't a good business decision at all, anyone who thinks that are retards.

EA make some good games, but the funny thing is they make the game, but seem to mess up all of the time.

BF2, they release, very good game, they don't listen to the ACTUAL community, they mess it up put $hit patches in etc. 2142 with lame ads, I don't care if they are only billboard ads, it isn't right at all. I don't mind ads like that go with the game, such as say on 2142 it had a bilboard with say ''Buy your auto plasma rifle from a gun store near you'' that goes with the game, not what they propose.

It's so damn dumb. Let me run EA and DICE. I tell you I'd make a better job, im not being arrogant. But fact is they are the biggest games company in this world, they have the $$$. I would do what is needed, not make a loss but actuall be a benefit to the gaming community. If you release a game and don't care about the community thats you done out of business.

If I ran them, I'd have all the map modders awarded, say top 5 maps voted by the community, first place gaming PC, 2nd top gfx card etc. Not only does this increase the community's morale it also encourages others to take part and you have a lot of people respecting your company. I'd have maps being made by competent Devs, maybe 1 or 2 a month. Have the communities favorite modders map of the month put into ranked circulation after being tested and verified. I'd have the patch makers all fired, and competent ones put in place and TRAINED, or train the old ones depending on their current knowlodge. Then don't put ads into 2142, drop any fees crap or advertising crap.

Seriously EA are clueless.

Comment

At least it isnt in a pay-to-play game.

I loaded up Planetside the other day with the free trial and they play in-game commercials on video screens in the main bases... and that game costs like $12 a month to play!

Advertising in-games isnt new. EA and the FPS genre are actually a little late to the party.

Originally posted by Eternal-Souljah
            Lol this isn't a good business decision at all, anyone who thinks that are retards.

EA make some good games, but the funny thing is they make the game, but seem to mess up all of the time.

BF2, they release, very good game, they don't listen to the ACTUAL community, they mess it up put $hit patches in etc. 2142 with lame ads, I don't care if they are only billboard ads, it isn't right at all. I don't mind ads like that go with the game, such as say on 2142 it had a bilboard with say ''Buy your auto plasma rifle from a gun store near you'' that goes with the game, not what they propose.

It's so damn dumb. Let me run EA and DICE. I tell you I'd make a better job, im not being arrogant. But fact is they are the biggest games company in this world, they have the $$$. I would do what is needed, not make a loss but actuall be a benefit to the gaming community. If you release a game and don't care about the community thats you done out of business.

If I ran them, I'd have all the map modders awarded, say top 5 maps voted by the community, first place gaming PC, 2nd top gfx card etc. Not only does this increase the community's morale it also encourages others to take part and you have a lot of people respecting your company. I'd have maps being made by competent Devs, maybe 1 or 2 a month. Have the communities favorite modders map of the month put into ranked circulation after being tested and verified. I'd have the patch makers all fired, and competent ones put in place and TRAINED, or train the old ones depending on their current knowlodge. Then don't put ads into 2142, drop any fees crap or advertising crap.

Seriously EA are clueless.
            You're 16 years old and have a very narrow idea of how the world works and it is reflected heavily in your post.

This is the western world, its the land of capitalism and marketing. You don't see TV without commercials, you dont see movies without previews for other movies (Commercials) or blurbs about the concession stand (candy commercials), you dont see a public highway without a billboard...

Advertising is everywhere. Get used to it.

Comment

I doubt it will be any pop up type ads. I am sure it will be more along the lines of dynamic billboards or signs or logos plastered on things like barrells and whatnot. The only problem is that the ads will have to be updated every so often and this COULD eat up some bandwidth.

I really do think that this announcement makes more sense than anything else I have heard or read to explain why the 1.4 patch has been delayed so long. Even if we don't wind up seeing ads in BF2, since both BF2 and BF2142 share code, the 1.4 patch WOULD have to contain the code change to incorperate these ads.

I really don't care what they do as long as they don't create further server instability or mucho lag on my system. I would like to think that EA had a handle on how this was going to work BEFORE announcing this agreement and the initial implementation of ads into the BF2142 title.

I guess we will just have to wait and see though.

Comment

I kinda think it would be cool if they were to do something like having a familiar jingle playing on a radio in a bunker somewhere, or a TV with a video of a commercial displayed on the screen... make it incidental and immersive rather than blatently commercial.

A "Drink Coke!" sign on the side of a bus wouldn't be bad... as long as the blend in with the surroundings.

Comment

This is pretty much 'free money' for EA. It doesn't hurt me if it's on a billboard. I'm just worried about tampon ads. Yuck. jk. The only problem is that we'll see current products in a setting of 2142...when the world is pretty much ending...Now if they're supposed to be 'old' ads, ok...but whatever.

Comment

If its a picture on a billboard or poster I dont mind but. If its a video on a ingame screen that takes up my memory or a commercial that makes the game have longer load times I will get pissed.

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal-Souljah
                      ...anyone who thinks that are retards...
                      Anyone who says someone is a retard for having an opinion is a retard.

Comment

Working...
                      X