OH BOY in games ads for 2142

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OH BOY in games ads for 2142

I guess the game will be about $25.00 now that we will get in game dynamic ads to offset their costs. (NOT!!!!!!!!!).

At Yahoo Finance, you get free stock quotes, up-to-date news, portfolio management resources, international market data, social interaction and mortgage rates that help you manage your financial life.

Re: OH BOY in games ads for 2142

Originally posted by Blud
    I guess the game will be about $25.00 now that we will get in game dynamic ads to offset their costs. (NOT!!!!!!!!!).

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060831/20060831005198.html
    Oh noes!!1

Seriously, what's the big deal?

So they're gonna do some in game marketing...it's a genious move if you ask me - business wise. As long as I don't have to wait through a 30 second coke ad to play 2142, I'm cool with it.

Comment

that is just crap...unless they used that extra cash to help with Q/A testing...oh wait they are using their gamers for that now. I hate to bash EA and publishers in general because it never seems to get us anywhere but THIS in game advertising is just....wow.

Comment

Now HERE is the most plausible explanation for the 1.4 patch being delayed. The patch must contain the dynamic advertising code. Ahh it is all becoming clearer now.

Comment

I can imagine it now. You are about to kill an enemy and a popup box comes up telling you how to improve your skill by buying a new video card. Then you die when you close it.

gg

Comment

Well, if they were dynamic ads that loaded from the internet ingame, I would tweak my firewall to block'em. I would see if I could find a way to pull the textures out of my computer.

My biggest gripe about all this, based on the f**ked way EA treats it's community is: the revenue that this will generate, will not get put back into continuing development on the current platform, but will be used as capital for future projects.

Example, if we had ads in BF2, that money would have gone to development of BF2142 instead of expanding the BF2v universe with more maps and add-ons.

WOW/Everquest is a great example of how charging works...they have continuous developement on those projects because they make millions a month from the proceeds that are netted after they pay for the server-farms and staff.

I guess we are going to have to see how this plays out. I just hope their damn ads don't kill my frame time, or get me PB kicked because I find away to block/remove them.

Comment

I really don't care if I run by a pop machine with a logo on it, a billboard with GM or a store with Subway, but if I have to put up with ads that run (DYNAMIC) and change everytime I play and take my bandwidth--without compensating me with a reduction in price, I don't want it.

Hopefully, it will be as easy to stop as it was with SWAT 4, just make a few changes to the host files.

And maybe ~WPN~Major Ursa has a point about 1.4. Will we see ads in the 1.4 patch? That's how the ads were added to Swat 4, with a patch.

Comment

Originally posted by ~WPN~Major Ursa
                Now HERE is the most plausible explanation for the 1.4 patch being delayed. The patch must contain the dynamic advertising code. Ahh it is all becoming clearer now.
                If that were true, they better be continuing support for BF2 for quite a while from the revenue that will generate.

Comment

I dont mind as long as the ads blend in with the game. I dont want to see a pristine looking Coke ad in the middle of a busted up city.

Comment

Originally posted by SMeeD
                    I dont mind as long as the ads blend in with the game. I dont want to see a pristine looking Coke ad in the middle of a busted up city.
                    Yea, I was thinking the exact same thing. THere should be filters that make it looked decayed, burned, or dirty.

Comment

Welcome to the future!!! They digitally impose adds in sports arenas too. Gaming may end up being televised in the way sports are.

All in all is it really that bad? I don't think so. I would find it kind of funny to look up in the middle of the game and see a papa john's add on a bill board.

I guess if it bothers you that much you could always get into retro gaming. Pac Man was an awesome game.

Comment

lol. pacman is actually a pepsi symbol

Comment

Well this move was actually inevitable. They have movies advertising things, in bigger cities its really had to find a place where and advertisement can stand out, if they added any more advertisements on television we would have movie breaks instead of commecrial breaks. In Estonia they have made attempts to get advertisements into school text books, they have them in university books in the form of case studeis already.

Lets hope that this will remain just an ingame element. Though I wouldn't be surprised if some time in the future there would be commecial breaks in multiplayer gaming ... then it would be really time to dust off the old board games again!

And all this for what? So that people could buy things they don't need for money they don't have!

Comment

Originally posted by Skwurl
                            Oh noes!!1

Seriously, what's the big deal?

So they're gonna do some in game marketing...it's a genious move if you ask me - business wise. As long as I don't have to wait through a 30 second coke ad to play 2142, I'm cool with it.
                            ideally they won't be real commercials, but billboards inside levels

Comment

IF they are actually going to limit it to 2142 and not implement it into bf2, then I think it might actually add to the game. It's pretty much the same kind of advertising we've seen in all other representations of the future. It's sad that I'd actually submit to the logic that exposure leads to comfort (of course that's what Coke wants to see in this forum), but that seems to be the truth in the matter.

Comment

Working...
                              X