This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Goodbye EA/DICE/BF2

BF2 have a lot of stat padders that havent been reset and you see people still play so... Stat padders never kill bf2 stat system, and POE will be the same.

Comment

Let's face it...POE2 feel very much the same as BF2. The major components of the game - i.e. the elements that convey the gaming experience the most - are pretty much identical to BF2.

Any MOD is an opportunity to correct some of the basic mistakes that DICE did with BF2 - but the POE guys chose not to address them. Gameplay is largely the same - except it's harder to see the enemies - vehicles and infantry.

Don't get me wrong - I admire the ffort and commitment it takes to accomplish a major piece of work like that. The small arms models are even vastly superior to vanilla BF2.

However, POE2 doesn't differ enough from vaniall BF2 to really make it a new experience. It's still dominated by jumpers, divers and twitchers. Air-units still rule the game and stats are apparently on the way.

Personally I feel that POE2 is a "missed opportunity". Certainly one can't be anything but grateful that someone offers a bit of variation for free and for that they have my sincere gratitude. But I think they could have distinguished temselves more by putting some effort into correcting some major design-flaws in BF2 and they could have made a more unique mod by offering noticeably different gameplay.

As it is, it seems more like a another booster-pack for BF2.

Cheers :-)

Comment

BTW, PoE2 stats were taken out of the release build at the last minute.
        They'll be back as soon as a patch is released.

Comment

Gave up on installing PoE2. 1st the stupid password, then some required map-pak . No thanks , back to buggy CTD BF2.

Comment

Ahh, you needed to have both files from the zip extracted into the same folder. It's as easy as that.

Comment

I played this mod last night and a bulk of today. It has the same exact feel as OPK...almost feels like the same mod, people who have played both might agree. It is a fun mod but IMO mods like FH2 and even Pirates offer a bigger differnce in gameplay....which is what I look for in a game Modification....all in all its great and I will play it off and on for a long time.
              Replace BF2?? Doubtfull.

Comment

Originally posted by DogGunn
                Ahh, you needed to have both files from the zip extracted into the same folder. It's as easy as that.

Only one file, not two. Thanks, but I really don't feel like fussing with a non-ranked Mod thats getting Ho-Hum :|: user reviews. Hope all that stick with it, have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoolander
                  So many of these mod-bandwagon-fanboys, its sickening.

Without EA/DICE/BF2 you would have no mods, so show some respect.

How can there be respect due when they can't even release working patches?

Sure they made BF2, but have f'ed everything else up since day number one.

Comment

Even if this mod was absolutely horrible people would still be saying "Goodbye EA/DICE/BF2" because the type of people to do that are bandwagoners and this is a perfect excuse to create some anti-EA hoopla.

I'll never get tired of everyone pretending BF2 sucks and still playing daily. Once the newness wears off you'll miss Karkand and go back to normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Graphic
                      Even if this mod was absolutely horrible people would still be saying "Goodbye EA/DICE/BF2" because the type of people to do that are bandwagoners and this is a perfect excuse to create some anti-EA hoopla.

I'll never get tired of everyone pretending BF2 sucks and still playing daily. Once the newness wears off you'll miss Karkand and go back to normal.
                      I totally agree, so much negativity for product that started the mod community in the first place.

I think there are some incredible new game engines coming out that will bury the BF2 engine (Crytek2 and Unreal 3). But you can't deny that BF2 gameplay came out way before and had a positive impact in the gaming community.

Comment

Originally posted by You_were_killedby
                        you used to be a good game time to move on to PoE2.
                        It's still BF2
                        But with alot of diffenct stuff in there
                        but it's still the same old engine

Comment

POE2 >> vanillaBF2

lol how did I do that?

Comment

Go ahead call me a bandwagoner....I DO NOT care. The POE2 mod has some neat new weapons, vehicles and some good NEW maps...Its a different look than the maps that we've seen for that last year from EA/Dice. I just don't see how people can complain its the more of the same stuff....were there ANY winter-based maps in anything EA/Dice has released so far?? I do not remember any that I had to PAY for. Bottom line you'd pay quite a bit to EA/Dice to get the same content.

I agree that the mod wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the game but...let's look at some numbers here: (please don't shoot me cuz I'm using US Dollars You guys across the pond can probably convert faster than me anyway)

Vanilla BF2 - 13 Maps original price approx $50
                            Special Forces - 8 maps orig price approx $40
                            Euro Forces - 3 maps price $10
                            Armoured Fury - 3 maps $10

POE2 - 13 maps ZERO Dollars

At least the Mod guys aren't charging for their content (which in the case of POE2 is better than some of the original publisher's content)

This whole forum just seems like its got alot of wanna-be experts that can't seem to find anything good in anything. There is nothing to be said that will make everybody happy and I know the flamers will pound me for saying all this but who cares??

POE2 is a welcome change to the BF2 community. Forget the hype, forget the expectations. Play it if you like it....don't play it if you hate it. Just means our server won't be full of the usual whiney-a$$ people that I run into constantly on the Ranked servers

Let the flames begin.....

Comment

The content in PoE2 doesn't come near the professional grade work in BF2 and it's expansions. There's a reason this, and other mods for any game, are free (besides it being illegal to sell mods) - they're made by ametures and it shows. Special Forces costed $40 because it was made by professionals - and it shows. Bottom line you'd pay quite a bit to EA/Dice to get the same content, and for good reason. I mean come on. Wow, snow maps! Sand textures recolored white! This is way better than vBF2! Nevermind that the reload animations suck, some of the guns look ridiculous (Assault's G36, anyone?), the sound effects are crap, and the Ukranian voice-overs are just a copy of Spetsnaz only done by someone not a professional voice-actor.

Trying to say that you shouldn't buy Special Forces (for example) and instead get the free mod and it's just as good is a little disingenuous. It's not of the same standard as the official BF2 material and you know it. Like you said, play it if you like it, but don't start telling me it's better quality than the original. $50 vs. $0 and the original is still better bang for your buck.

Comment

The price - or rather that it is free - has absolutely no bearing on the issue. Everyone who playes POE 2 has already shown they are willing to invest money in games.

It's all about the quality and the experience. It doesn't matter what a player should expect from a free mod - the only thing that matters is if the experience is good enough to keep you coming back to the mod. If the quality is not there, then players will stop playing it - simple as that.

Best way to get quality games is to communicate clearly about what and where a game can be improved. This is why there are forums for every game out there - whether they be mods or not.

If we lower our expectations and standards for games, just because they are free, we will never get that one good game that we can all return to after several years.

Best combined-arms military multiplayer experience out there is still Desert Combat - and the only place to get some decent CTF-action as well. BF2 and POE 2 (in it's present state) will not be such a game. 3 years from now they will both be all but forgotten. The reason is that none of these gamin experiences have that elusive quality that we are all looking for, but find hard to describe. It's something about balance and options, ease of use and believabiliy. It's something about giving the "six-hours-a-day"-gamers an opportunity to excel while offering the "6-hours-a-week"-players something entertaining and purposeful to do without being "pwned" every 5 seconds by some "death-from-above"-uberweapon that you can't fight.

The sooner the game-makers get these basic truths into their heads the more chance there is of making a classic like Desert Combat.

A new BF game, a handful of expansions/booster packs and a few more or less finished mods later, we are still waiting for someone to "get it".

Cheers :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X