Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Battlefield 3, the MMOFPS.

Originally posted by VT Nerd
    Perhaps you have a bit of a point. However, BF2 has been poorly supported because of the decisions of EA/Dice in my opinion. There are plenty of other FPS games that have developers who consistently release good solid patches without introducing tons more bugs into the game.

Charging all players monthly subscription fees guarantees nothing...especially from EA/Dice. Well I take that back, it guarantees the board of directors over at EA is going to get even wealthier, but nothing else.

Even with all the bugs, I really enjoy BF. I won't be switching to QW. Those who switch might find better patches and what not, but they still won't be paying a monthly fee.

Perhaps what I'm trying to say in a roundabout way is that, the level of support and quality you can expect is more closely tied to the developer than the amount of money you are paying said developer. Blizzard and the likes don't necessarily make better games or patches because of the monthly fees, but because they're not as money-centric as EA has turned out to be.
    I see your point as well, Blizzard has been a pretty darn solid Game Developer for years who has generally released high quality products..

I think, however, that if you are paying monthly for a service then you have a right to demand that the service be of the highest quality. The developers know this and generally take better care of their customers/members.

EA bought Mythic... I wish one of them would pop in here, they know what the score is. Mythic's got an impressive trackrecord as well.

In the end, I think you get what you pay for. And persistent content, player development and a constant battle involving hundreds of players on truely massive environments is something I'd be willing to invest in.

If ya ever played planetside then you understand what I'm sayin. (and the haters who claim it was "repetitive" but have 200 hours on Karkand have no room to complain about repetitivity. lol.

Peace

Good discussion.

Originally posted by [MyIS]Spetsnaz
    I'm not with this bandwagon, sorry

I think Battlefield should stay Battlefield. Let other developers worry about this new genre. Personally, I think it will be impossible to retain the beauty of Battlefield gameplay/graphics and sink in a deep MMO element.

If I want a touch of RPG, I play Oblivion.
    If I want a touch of realism, I play Operation Flashpoint or FH BF1942.
    If I want crazy action with land/sea/air, I play BF2.

There's no poin in having a "massive" game with 64 players. It should be a minimum 200 per server with large maps to be considered "massive".
    Planetside looked pleanty pretty for its time and the battles there were 600 player slaughter fests where 3 teams would population-lock a continent with 200 players each...

That got pretty bananas.

BF2 isnt a war simulator. Its a skirmish simulator.

And the "Sea" aspect of BF2 is relegated to RIBS and Jet-skis.... not exactly a naval conquest, lol.

BF1942, MAYBE... a map or 2... but BF2 left the "Sea" aspect of the "Land, Sea, Air" far behind. You can't even move or sink the carrier...

Comment

Originally posted by Consultant01
      the 10 million people around the world playing World of Warcraft disagree with your statement that no game is worth that much money.

I see what you are saying, but the situation in the MMO marketplace does not back it up.

You've clearly stated that it isnt worth it to *YOU* but ya dont speak for the entire gaming community.

I also agree that a few smacktards will certainly sign up for every game... the difference is in how they are dealt with.

In BF2, say a smacktard is making your play experience less than stellar... to the point where he is offending you and a large portion of the server. You better hope there's a server admin on. If not, your only other option is to leave. What if its a good game? What if you're winning?

In an MMO, you submit a ticket in-game and get a response... the offending smacktard could have his account suspended, you can put people on ignore so you dont have to deal with their antics...

As far as dealing with immature gamers, MMO's have that one nailed.
      Let's just agree to disagree. You can have your MMOFPS and I'll stick with what the current state of BF2.

I had originally tired to refute your entire post, but let's be honest...neither of us will change the other's mind.

I've also never played Planetside or any other monthly fee game for exactly that reason. It might be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I'm not convined.

Comment

lol, true enough.

They're both fun... I just get caught remembering the fun I had with Planetside and wish it was still going on. SOE took a crap on it though.

Planetside has a freebie program now... I dont know the link offhand, but It's an interesting way to see how the game and the genre could work... Granted, its in its waning moments, probably a few thousand people still play it... nowhere near the half a million or so that played at its peak.

Ah, found it.

Planetside reserves program.

If ya got some harddrive space to spare and are interested... give it a whirl. I may snag it tonight for old-times sake.

Comment

were the MMOFPS's like PlanetSide moddable? Is it even possible to mod a game like that?

If so imagine DC with 600 players on each side, and have El Alamein be the ACTUAL size od the real one

Imagine the battles that would take place, 20-30 tanks on each side rolling accross a huge desert while a flight of B-52's roar overhead. Than imagine taking off from an airfield in a C-130 filled with troops, flying over that massive tank battle and dropping your troops 5 miles ahead at the nearest outpost.

Than imagine the air battles, flying for miles going for a target only to get locked on by an enemy MIG, flying farther and higher than ANY BF game trying to get him off only to be shot down in the middle of the desert miles from anywere and having to call in a Blackhawk to pick you up.

Than imagine that BH taking off from an airfield and flying to the general vicinity of were the pilot was shot down looking for signs of life, seeing a huge flare go off and racing to the pilot before the 40-50 Iraqis that were in the area come racing in and find him.

The whole Idea of an MMOFPS has SO many possibilities that its mind numbing. Of course the montyl pay may be a bit...Meh...to some people, but Im sure as computers become more powerful and servers take less power to operate maybe sometime in the future we wont have to pay monthly for it.

Comment

Annoying jerks, impetulant teenagers and the general feces of the gaming community generally can't be brought to pay monthly for a game subscription. Also, your fees go toward employing "game monitors" who deal with live requests for customer service in response to complaints about these annoying jerks! ...

...For a more mature gamer, who has less time to deal with imature BS, I think pay-to-play is the smartest way to go. There is an implied level of service that you would recieve if you were paying a company specifically to provide it.
            Consultant, if you have ever played WoW, you would know how immature the gaming community can be. No matter how much you pay for an MMO, no matter what you do to screen people, there will always be a subset of the population that is purely and utterly retarded.

Again why should I pay $12.99/month so I can get linked skirmishes that never change? I can do that through BFE or GC for almost nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by zuiquan1
              were the MMOFPS's like PlanetSide moddable? Is it even possible to mod a game like that?

If so imagine DC with 600 players on each side, and have El Alamein be the ACTUAL size od the real one

Imagine the battles that would take place, 20-30 tanks on each side rolling accross a huge desert while a flight of B-52's roar overhead. Than imagine taking off from an airfield in a C-130 filled with troops, flying over that massive tank battle and dropping your troops 5 miles ahead at the nearest outpost.

Than imagine the air battles, flying for miles going for a target only to get locked on by an enemy MIG, flying farther and higher than ANY BF game trying to get him off only to be shot down in the middle of the desert miles from anywere and having to call in a Blackhawk to pick you up.

Than imagine that BH taking off from an airfield and flying to the general vicinity of were the pilot was shot down looking for signs of life, seeing a huge flare go off and racing to the pilot before the 40-50 Iraqis that were in the area come racing in and find him.

The whole Idea of an MMOFPS has SO many possibilities that its mind numbing. Of course the montyl pay may be a bit...Meh...to some people, but Im sure as computers become more powerful and servers take less power to operate maybe sometime in the future we wont have to pay monthly for it.
              it wasn't modable. That would be insane, lol.

A total Planetside conversion... to the tune of BF2.... now we're thinkin!

Comment

I have a dream where a talented bunch of FPS programmers (Dice/EA)
                And there in lies your problem.

Comment

Never miss an opportunity to input useless flames of a developer. Of course! I forgot "***-hat internet rule #236"

Comment

Yeah I'll take a look at Planetside... I'm downloading it at the moment but it's only 10 MB though!?

Anyway, I like the idea of MMO just not the mandatory extra money. Although I can agree that you can't really have one without the other right now.

Comment

Originally posted by VT Nerd
                      Yeah I'll take a look at Planetside... I'm downloading it at the moment but it's only 10 MB though!?

Anyway, I like the idea of MMO just not the mandatory extra money. Although I can agree that you can't really have one without the other right now.
                      Thats probably the "Sony Station" installation file. From there it will probably download the entire PS Client... I can't be sure though.

If you have your choice, sign up for the Emerald server, and the VS side. Then look around the Sanctuary on Thursday night.

The guys in my old crew (www.gotr.net) still raid then I think. Snag a vehicle and follow them to the war.

Comment

If it were done right, I'd get it.

I do believe that there is a MMOFPS in development. Its called Huxley.

Comment

woah, I just went to the gotr.net website for the first time in a LONG time and they are still rockin and raiding hard core. Impressive.

Comment

Planetside and Huxley.

Comment

What sucks, imho, is that alot of these vast world type games are never war games. Not to plug Oblivion again (though I do love that game), but the sheer amount of work that went into the details is astounding. If even half of that work went into a massive shooter based on the real world warfare that we be amazing. BF2 is not that, of course, its a completely different game.

Not to mention, the amount of work that goes into creating all of the original buildings, artwork, dialogue, fantasy weapons, magic weapons/stats/details, conjuration stuff and the crazy amount of work needed to balance all of that out ...

Now picture all of that detail thrown into an FPS like BF2. That would be something...

Have any of you heard of Project Offset? Now that's something. Trust me, watch the videos and tech demos ... this engine will knock you back out of your chair. It's focused on creating cinematic quality in-game.

Comment

Originally posted by [MyIS]Spetsnaz
                                Have any of you heard of Project Offset? Now that's something. Trust me, watch the videos and tech demos ... this engine will knock you back out of your chair. It's focused on creating cinematic quality in-game.
                                http://www.projectoffset.com/
                                WOW that crowd test demo showed how fluid computer games are becoming, very cool!

Comment

Working...
                                X