Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlefield 3, the MMOFPS.

I have a dream.

I have a dream where a talented bunch of FPS programmers (Dice/EA) meet up with a talented bunch of MMORPG programmers (Mythic Entertainment) and they would team up to create the greatest gaming creation of all time.

Battlefield 3 - (Snappy subtitle here). The MMOFPS.

Basically, it would pickup with the BF2142 universe (2 armies battling for control of the last remaining inhabitable realms of the earth.

If you want to see how a game like this can be hatched, incubated, embraced by a community and maintain a healthy subscription base, see Planetside.

Problem with Planetside is that Sony Online Entertainment turns whatever it touches into piles of poop.

BF3 could be different my friends!

Post your ideas and/or support for a Battlefield based MMOFPS.

Re: Battlefield 3, the MMOFPS.

Considering EA now owns Mythic Entertainment, that pipedream could actually come true.

Comment

As long as SOE doesn't take it over, I'm all for it.

Comment

You aren't the only one with that dream. The last good MMOFPS that came out was Planetside. I can only hope EA would also have the same dream and do something like this, and do it right.

Comment

Mythic Entertainment actually got their starts making an Multiplayered First Person Shooter Game, with strong RPG elements. I believe it was called Magestorm? Actually a lot of it's old battlesystem was transfered over into the PvP aspect of Dark Age of Camelot, which explains why PvP there was always so fun and intense back in the olden days.

Currently though, Mythic is swamped with the tall-order known as Warhammer Online, so I wouldn't hold my breath regarding any other possible projects from Mythic, they really aren't that big of a company.

At least not as big as the Frenchies at Blizzard.

Comment

Whats a MOFO-fps?

Comment

Massively Multiplayered Online First Person Shooter.

It usually involves tens of thousands of people playing all on the same server, just in different regions of the world/realm/whatever.

Comment

Create an army and destroy the world! I like this idea.

Comment

A BF2 themed MMOFPS wouldnt work because the politics of having real armies at war with eachother would be a little ridiculous... the 2142 "universe" sets the table perfectly, however.

Fake armies, fake territories, fake borders, its all so attractive.

The cool thing about Planetside was that the armies had different styles and theories on weapon design... one was very futeristic, alien based with beam weapons and hovering tanks, one was slow firing, heavy hitting, one was rapid-firing, with lighter damage per shot... each army had its own "personality". It was so tight...

Comment

I would love it if it was WW2 and I could get in a massive dogfight in a Spit over London, 500 guys in A/C screaming all over the place. Hells yeah!

Comment

Well anything that incorperates more than 500+ people at once will be fun
                      then the term Weapon of mass Destruction will mean something

Comment

Originally posted by CDN-SMOKEJUMPER
                        I would love it if it was WW2 and I could get in a massive dogfight in a Spit over London, 500 guys in A/C screaming all over the place. Hells yeah!
                        See, my thing is that you cant have a WW2 themed game like this because that allows the Nazis to be the more popular faction and to eventually "win" the war... That'd just get ugly in the forums and in-game chatter...

thats just my opinion though. MMO games need to be based in fictional environments to avoid such discussions as "The Nazis kicked your ***"

Comment

Yeah but I wouldn't really care as the fights can be fun sometimes.

Comment

drool......nukes will be my chosen weapon, wahahahaha

anyways, different armies with its own strength and weaknesses and also the fact that u join the server and u have 500 n00bs waiting to sit infront of ur plane....=/ not my dream world ladies, however if made and successful, i will support it....just go easy on the hardware k? battlefield 2 nearly sent my computer into the freezer

Comment

thats the thing, if you are certified to fly a plane, you will always have a plane waiting for you.

In Planetside, vehicles were "generated" in much the same way as the replicators in Star Trek. You walk up to a panel, say "Figher Plane" and the vehicle creation pad makes you a plane and you spawn inside of it. No waiting in line unless the pad is packed with people and you get into a vehicle creation queue... which happened but wasnt a big deal.

Also, Nukes would be silly in a game like this, fuel-air bombs on the otherhand, maybe. Planetside had "Orbital Strikes" which were beams of explosive energy that came from satalites orbiting the planet. They could be used by commanders to clear an area of enemies before their side attacked it.. Like an airstrike or arty strike basically.

I'm tellin ya, BF3 should be an MMOFPS. For real.

Comment

Working...
                              X