Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.4 patch and balancing......?

Hi all, this is my first post on the TBFT forum so plz be gentle with me

I have to confess I'm a newbie to BF2 having sworn I would not touch the BF series again after BF1942 (and all the expansion) and BFV series. But finally being 'bullied' into buying it by numerous online mates and ex clan mates I relented and bought BF2 at the end of Feb 06. Yup, I’ve been playing online games since the days of 'Shades' on Telecom Gold and my first FPS online game of UT99.

EA has never had the best of reputation for listening to the community but then again not many game publishers/developers do, such is life.

Couple of points I’d like to make re the patch:-

1. Every post I’ve seen regarding the Engineer class says the same thing. The amount of repair point you get for repairing commander assets is ridiculous. Yet the official EA response posted on this forum was that it would require too much ‘evaluation’ to change the current system. Hmmm smells like Bull to me, I guess altering the number of clays you can drop (1.2 change) and the damage AA emplacements cause to air is easy enough to change (another 1.2 change) but changing a value of 1 to equalling 2 is to hard to implement for the poor old Engineer class.

2. As for Spec Ops, what’s the point of using 2 C4 packs to blow up enemy commander assets when you can get more point blowing up a vehicle with enemy in it? Except for the satisfaction of knowing that you’ve just probably just saved a few lives of your team mates. IMO believe that a Spec Op should get 2 points for a commander asset blown up. This coupled with an Engineer getting double points for repairing commander assets would improve the playability of both classes and the style of play for both classes.

3. Since the 1.3 patch aircraft are king of the game. Most players have experienced the ‘joy’ of getting pwned by aircraft (heli and plane), without an effective way to counter it. Currently jumping into a AA emplacement is a sure fire way of dying quick. (Yes I know about not jumping in and sitting there because you’re lit up like a Christmas tree to any enemy plane). So you have an enemy pilot raping your team, you jump in the AA as he’s passing close by and let of your 2 missiles, if you’re lucky he’s still waiting for his flares to recharge and you get a hit or two (9 time out of 10 the second will miss if the pilots good as he’ll out distance it). So lets say you’re in luck and hit him twice, most good pilots will be looping round to blast you’re a$$ to hell before you’ve had chance to reload or will take out the AA from range before you can get a lock. The only way you stand a chance against enemy air is if they are already damaged or if there is a mobile AA available, however a good pilot will knock this out first before anything. So you’re back to AA emplacements and dying lotz……

I’m sure pilots will try arguing that ppl should learn to fly if this bothers them so (I’ve seen this reply a few times) but the point is this is not a flight sim, it is a combined forces sim and as such every class/vehicle has a few ‘nemesis’, not aircraft however.

How many times do you see ppl TKing each other just to get an aircraft, why? Because it’s easy to get kills and you know that there are few counters to your aircraft. Good pilots will always pwn but currently even an average pilot can pwn, hence the TKing madness around aircraft spawns.

There are many other good points I’ve seen regarding balancing the game on various forums but EA/Dice chose not to listen, funny really since the community play the game and as such have an in-depth understanding of the game play. Like I said, EA/Dice are not alone in this attitude of ignoring the community.

As for the 1.4 patch, where to start… LoL. If I was still Clanning (stopped 3 years ago) and paying for server/box which was running BF2 1.3 I’d be very pi$$ed that its taken so long to fix a major issue with the game. As it is I just have to tolerant having to reconnect or reload BF2 as appropriate. But what I really am upset about is the fact we have a post saying finally after 3 months(?) that the patch is going to be released and then the very next day when the patch is supposed to be released a new message saying it is going to be delay. Talk about a lack of communication at EA/Dice, how long does it take to fix a known issue and once it’s been resolved, notify all parties concerned within EA/Dice that there is a prospective release date and then await confirmation from all concerned that this is OK to release BEFORE notifying the community?

Me finks someone screwed up at Dice/EA…….

Sorry it’s such a long post, guess I had a fair bit to get of my chest

Please bear in mind these are just my opinions (right or wrong), I do however enjoy playing BF2 despite my initial reservation. Except when I'm getting totally pwned by Air (heli or Plane) and have no way to effectively counter them.

Sorry for the long rant

Re: 1.4 patch and balancing......?

pretty good post.. welcome to TotalBF2.

Comment

The good news is your opinions can be neither right *OR* wrong... they are opinions.

The other good news is that there are hundreds, maybe thousands of people who share your opinions on these issues. (2 points for blowing an asset is a nice idea I hadnt seen before).

The not-so-good news is that you are correct. EA does not have the greatest track record of responding to the outcries of its communities. A recent exception, however, are the proposed rules surrounding the upcoming "Infantry Only" mode. They had planned to reduce the effectiveness of Medics, pump up everybody's hitpoints to where they could survive sniper headshots and direct claymore blasts... the community let loose on them like Macho Man Randy Savage at Summerslam '98 and EA revised the rules for IO mode.

They *DO* listen, but the choices they seem to make leave some of us scratching their heads...

Good post.

Comment

good post and welcome

Comment

Cheers for the welcome guys

Rest assured my usual posts are not so long winded

Comment

good stuff

Comment

Originally posted by T@rty
              3. Since the 1.3 patch aircraft are king of the game. Most players have experienced the ‘joy’ of getting pwned by aircraft (heli and plane), without an effective way to counter it. Currently jumping into a AA emplacement is a sure fire way of dying quick. (Yes I know about not jumping in and sitting there because you’re lit up like a Christmas tree to any enemy plane). So you have an enemy pilot raping your team, you jump in the AA as he’s passing close by and let of your 2 missiles, if you’re lucky he’s still waiting for his flares to recharge and you get a hit or two (9 time out of 10 the second will miss if the pilots good as he’ll out distance it). So lets say you’re in luck and hit him twice, most good pilots will be looping round to blast you’re a$$ to hell before you’ve had chance to reload or will take out the AA from range before you can get a lock. The only way you stand a chance against enemy air is if they are already damaged or if there is a mobile AA available, however a good pilot will knock this out first before anything. So you’re back to AA emplacements and dying lotz……

I’m sure pilots will try arguing that ppl should learn to fly if this bothers them so (I’ve seen this reply a few times) but the point is this is not a flight sim, it is a combined forces sim and as such every class/vehicle has a few ‘nemesis’, not aircraft however.

How many times do you see ppl TKing each other just to get an aircraft, why? Because it’s easy to get kills and you know that there are few counters to your aircraft. Good pilots will always pwn but currently even an average pilot can pwn, hence the TKing madness around aircraft spawns.

There are many other good points I’ve seen regarding balancing the game on various forums but EA/Dice chose not to listen, funny really since the community play the game and as such have an in-depth understanding of the game play. Like I said, EA/Dice are not alone in this attitude of ignoring the community.

Please bear in mind these are just my opinions (right or wrong), I do however enjoy playing BF2 despite my initial reservation. Except when I'm getting totally pwned by Air (heli or Plane) and have no way to effectively counter them.

Sorry for the long rant
              "Since the 1.3 patch aircraft are king of the game" ??? aircraft and armour have ALWAYS been king of the game. something wrong with that ?

oh i see your one of those that are whinging because you dont see the most effective way of downing something powerfull.. is to be in your teams powerfull vehicle. the balance IS there, you just dont see it.

i reccomend you install patch 1.2 and enjoy some auto aiming 100% hit railgun AA missiles. be carefull though as you may get teamkilled for hogging AA sites...... :laugh:

you do know whats wrong the engineer and spec ops though, i agree, quite lame classes and only usefull for repairing your tank and c4'ing enemies.

Comment

Whoring aa sites.. hahhahah

Comment

Originally posted by zipp0r
                  "Since the 1.3 patch aircraft are king of the game" ??? aircraft and armour have ALWAYS been king of the game. something wrong with that ?

oh i see your one of those that are whinging because you dont see the most effective way of downing something powerfull.. is to be in your teams powerfull vehicle. the balance IS there, you just dont see it.

i reccomend you install patch 1.2 and enjoy some auto aiming 100% hit railgun AA missiles. be carefull though as you may get teamkilled for hogging AA sites...... :laugh:

you do know whats wrong the engineer and spec ops though, i agree, quite lame classes and only usefull for repairing your tank and c4'ing enemies.
                  the problem is that there is even imbalance between the aircraft (Jets mostly)... the J10 in the hands of a novice (like myself) can go 20-0 on Wake Island... I know, I've done it... however in the F35, its a joke...

Comment

Originally posted by Consultant01
                    the problem is that there is even imbalance between the aircraft (Jets mostly)... the J10 in the hands of a novice (like myself) can go 20-0 on Wake Island... I know, I've done it... however in the F35, its a joke...
                    Hmm...

Comment

Thnx for the feed back zipp0r, though I never mentioned armour, but hey

I have no problem with the fact there are air or armour units in BF2 and that some of them are 'king' as you put it. If i did have a problem with that there are plenty of other FPS games which don't involve these elements.

As for 1.2 '100% hit railgun AA missiles', I guess you'd know more about this than me because I'm a newbie to BF2, you'd have seen that if you'd bother to read all of my post and also the disclaimer of 'just my opinion'. But hey, guess what, you also are welcome to YOUR opinion

Glad to know next time I'm running around as an Engineer that I can be of some use to you. Though it might be worth checking whether FF for mines/clays is not turned on. I'm a real butter fingers with Mines and Spanners keys, sometimes get them confused...........:evil:

Comment

I have no problem taking out planes and helos with the AA or taking out a APC/Tank with the TOW or AT kit.....I know plenty of other people that have no problem taking out APCs/Tanks with the spec ops or the engineer kit....

Hell Mobile AA is death to any airborne asset....

Sorry you lost me when you started in on the AA.....

Oh and if your crewmate sneezes in the balckhawk you blow up....BlackHawks deserve better than that

Comment

be carefull though as you may get teamkilled for hogging AA sites....
                          lol.. that would be the day.

Comment

the aircraft inbalance could be helped a bit if there was more of the mobile AA available.

Comment

Originally posted by zone36
                              lol.. that would be the day.
                              erm, u must have missed it.. it happened loads of times!!

Comment

Working...
                              X