Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2142 effect on BF2

Originally posted by bigpappa
    i think at least 50 - 75% of the BF2 population will move to 2142.
    50-75%? I wonder how many % are like me and will move onto a completely different, new, and original game?

Comment

in BF2142 Squad Leaders have an automated floating robot that automatically shoots at people. I am not kidding. So, if you have no skill and tired of playing commander in BF2, 2142 has plenty of open unskilled autotargetting functionality for those who want the game to pwn for you.

I'm sure I'll buy it and give it a go. Course, Quake Wars might be the shiz. And, I wonder what NovaLogic is up to. Maybe BF2 will hold strong, especially since most of us see it as a game held back by just a few issues. And, I'd rath use a m16 over light saber.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizna
        in BF2142 Squad Leaders have an automated floating robot that automatically shoots at people. I am not kidding. So, if you have no skill and tired of playing commander in BF2, 2142 has plenty of open unskilled autotargetting functionality for those who want the game to pwn for you.

I'm sure I'll buy it and give it a go. Course, Quake Wars might be the shiz. And, I wonder what NovaLogic is up to. Maybe BF2 will hold strong, especially since most of us see it as a game held back by just a few issues. And, I'd rath use a m16 over light saber.
        I would have to assume the floating robot is not an uber-weapon capable of mowing down anything, if it is then that will suck balls. It will probably do nothing against vehicles but be an annoyance towards ground pounders.

I'm hoping someone else manages to release something different to play. I wouldn't mind a BF2 style game but with a bit more tactics involved, something along the lines of Wolf:ET where you have definite objectives to do rather than just capping flags. Oh wait, thats probably going to be Quake Wars :P

Comment

I'm hoping someone else manages to release something different to play. I wouldn't mind a BF2 style game but with a bit more tactics involved, something along the lines of Wolf:ET where you have definite objectives to do rather than just capping flags. Oh wait, thats probably going to be Quake Wars :P
          I agree with your point - at times you want to do more than sit near the flag post.

When i think of Wolf:ET - the train and the truck full of gold comes to mind - it was fun.

Comment

Originally posted by SciFiMan
            It's possible that all the kiddies will move to 2142, leaving BF2 for serious players. Or more likely the other way around, since 2142 is supposed to enforce team play more. Whichever game has the better teamwork, that's where I'll end up.
            I second that 100%, hopefully the novalty of a futuristic shooter will attract the idiots of BF2 leaving the old community to play properly!

Comment

Originally posted by [C*]Indest
              I agree with your point - at times you want to do more than sit near the flag post.

When i think of Wolf:ET - the train and the truck full of gold comes to mind - it was fun.
              Ayup. Sometimes hidding behind sandbags holding my C4 remote and giggling to myself gets pretty old and I want something more to do.

Hows this for a concept - lets take Karkand for example:
              -Points must be taken in order from the US spawn to the other side of the bridge
              -MEC must build roadblocks at the junction near the hotel, USMC must try to destroy them
              -USMC need to find hostages near middle of map
              -USMC need to repair the bridge to get accross, MEC need to prevent them from doing that or blow the bridge if its repaired

Comment

I'd never thought about what would happen when 2142 comes out. Theres not enough room in my life for that and BF2. Which one should I choose....

Comment

i dont think its going to have an impact on the community so much as the development progress(lack of) by DICE. if BF2142 sells BF2 is dead as far as EA/DICE are concearned. that is when i move on to PoE2, if not much sooner.

Comment

Ayup. Sometimes hidding behind sandbags holding my C4 remote and giggling to myself gets pretty old and I want something more to do.

Hows this for a concept - lets take Karkand for example:
                    -Points must be taken in order from the US spawn to the other side of the bridge
                    -MEC must build roadblocks at the junction near the hotel, USMC must try to destroy them
                    -USMC need to find hostages near middle of map
                    -USMC need to repair the bridge to get accross, MEC need to prevent them from doing that or blow the bridge if its repaired
                    Sounds like a plan - Actually sounds like Wofl:ET and CS in one - but that would be great to play in the focus would be on the mission and rather than TK for vehicles etc.

Comment

Originally posted by SwissArmyShoe
                      Just to gather some opinions.

What sort of effect do you think BF 2142 will have on BF2?

I know I will probably buy and play 2142 but I hope it doesn't kill the BF2 buzz. I'm thinking that 2142 will be a very similar game to BF2 only more advanced and streamlined, but I can see BF2 becoming a niche game of 'Modern Warfare' were as 2142 will have a separate following.

In short I'm hoping that the BF2 community won't be heavily hit by it's release.

Any thoughts?
                      I would tend to think you are right on the money. The game will have a different following. In fact, I am willing to bet that MORE people will buy 2142 than bought BF2.
                      As for the 2nd comment about the game looking like a crappy console shooter, I do not think you've really seen the screenshots and movies available. The game looks like a super polished version of a modern battlefield, which is what it is supposed to be. Cannot wait to play it.

Comment

I have mixed feelings of BF2142... I think I will end up buying it but only after a while,

1. too let people experience it and see if its a piece of garbage

2. Too let prices go down.

Let's face it, as soon as that comes out EA/Dice are gonna stop or slow down a lot making mods and patches and BF2 will slowly fall apart with people doing the same old crappy hacks (hotel at kark, etc.) and never getting punished for it. EA/Dice will be too busy rolling in cash and laughing at hwo they control us by making us think "Ohh, it's new so it must be better!" When really it will probably be, as many of you say, not much more than a fancy mod...

Comment

Originally posted by lethal_ranger
                          I have mixed feelings of BF2142... I think I will end up buying it but only after a while,

1. too let people experience it and see if its a piece of garbage

2. Too let prices go down.

Let's face it, as soon as that comes out EA/Dice are gonna stop or slow down a lot making mods and patches and BF2 will slowly fall apart with people doing the same old crappy hacks (hotel at kark, etc.) and never getting punished for it. EA/Dice will be too busy rolling in cash and laughing at hwo they control us by making us think "Ohh, it's new so it must be better!" When really it will probably be, as many of you say, not much more than a fancy mod...

Prices usually don't go down for 9 months to a year after a game is released. Once the 1.4 patch comes out, the communities response, rather outburst will determine the need for how much more effort will be placed into creating a "Final BF2". BF2 was a lot better than 1942 according to a large majority of people that played both; however, 1942 had a lot more maps to play. BF2 simply lacks variety in maps and vehicles and stability (for now).
                          Like it or not 99% got their moneys' worth out of BF2. As I said in another thread, most of the complaints over the crashing and everything are from drama queens that love to knock everything except what they like and want. Sure there are some legitimate issues that still need to be addressed, but the game is about as good mechanics wise as it will be, short of a couple of aircraft tweaks. Then again, some people are trying to run BF2 on old P4's and AMD 2500+ and lesser machines with half a GB or ram. I have the CTD every once in a while, not every single minute of the day. It's not the sinking of the Titanic again, it's just something that happens, life goes on.
                          I wish the mods would hurry up and get released, but it seems that the longer they wait, the more potential gamers they lose. I would like to know how many people with limited play time are going to still play mods after these games are released: Unreal Tournament 2007, Frontlines: Fuel of War, Quake Wars, Armed Assault.
                          $50 really isn't a huge amount of money, it's 2 trips to the movies with popcorn and sodas for something you will get at least 800+ hours of fun from. Small price to pay.

Comment

2142 will definitely have an impact, but only slightly more than any other FPS trying to create the future setting because of it's BF style.

I will buy and play 2142 but I can see a lot of aspects being a novelty that will become boring after a while.

A lot of the appeal of BF2 and I would assume for a lot of other people is that it's relatable. I don't mean "Yeah, I've been there and done that for real" type of relatable, I mean it's more believable in a higher state of immersion. When I watched 'Black Hawk Down' there was so many moments that reminded me of BF2 right down to the radio chatter.

For instance:

Halo was an AMAZING game, I was seriously hooked. But it must have lasted me 3-4 weeks, then I lost interest.

Unreal Tournament was/is also an amazing game but my appeal for that dwindled after a few months.

Quake series. Great, addictive and exciting. But the fantasy, make believe settings get boring for me after a while.

The only thing I can relate BF2 with is Counter Strike. Counter Strike has another 'real world' type of immersion that kept me hooked for over a year of playing and I still play Source from time to time.

If 2142 was BF3 set in the same environments but with better graphics, a ton more features and tools, THEN BF2 would suffer. But I think a larger portion of people will get bored with firing lasers and taking out remote sentry units to allow for the auto cloaked assassin droids to deliver the sub matter power cells for an extra 2 points!

Plasma grenades fortehwin!!1!

Ps. I played Mechwarrior 4 for a loooong time. Mmmmm Mechs

/em puts down the coffee

Comment

for all you guys who just cant wait for 2142 to come out. think about this first. do you remember when BFV came out? do you remember how sh**ty it was? ok, then we go over to BF2, wow, when this game came out it was the biggest pos ever! ya EA and dice have fixed it a bit, but there is STILL PLENTY of holes in it. Dice cant even get the infantry only setting correct. And here we are now, EA trying to lure you suckers in with this game that has one point from EA... TO MAKE MONEY. thats all they want, and your all giving it to them. obviously i cant stop everyone from buying that piece of ****, but maybe i can stop a few. EA needs to learn that they cant sucker us in with these terrible games they make. and until you guys learn that this will never end.

Comment

Working...
                              X