No announcement yet.

What makes a good VoIP'ing Commander?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What makes a good VoIP'ing Commander?

Keep your chat on VoIP short and simple. No yelling and screaming. No profanity or beratement of anyone on your team. Give relavent information. And always find a way to give an attaboy to those players that demonstrate good teamwork skills.

Being a commander or a leader in general is far more than barking orders at people and screaming at them when things go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ~WPN~Major Ursa
      Keep your chat on VoIP short and simple. No yelling and screaming. No profanity or beratement of anyone on your team. Give relavent information. And always find a way to give an attaboy to those players that demonstrate good teamwork skills.

Being a commander or a leader in general is far more than barking orders at people and screaming at them when things go wrong.
      Indeed. I agree 100%. How do you think Napoleon was able to fight for so long with so little? Or how Washington was able to maintain an army of common men (untrained soldiers really)?
      It takes a lot more than being "omnipotent."

Comment

Originally posted by davelisowski
        You'd be surprised how many people ignore the spots of individual soldiers that don't show up on the UAV.
        there lies the problem, the commander is doing a perfect job its the players job to utilize the information he is being fed

Originally posted by -=[R]=-SilentNite
        A mute Commander is useless. You don't know what the situation is if he isn't telling you. Simply spotting enemies and dropping crates isn't enough. With his top down view of things using the Satelite Scan, he can see the enemy using a back door to attack somewhere where I cannot.
        use your m and n keys, as i said before if he is spamming "enemy infantry spotted, or vehicle, etc" over and over, its usually a clue that "hey you guys might wonna take this guy out or pay attention to him", all you have to do is use your m and n keys to pull up your map...i know tankers that have their opacity set low and have the full sized map up at all times..probably not the best thing to do as infantry but just some food for thought

Comment

Good commanders don't live in the moment, they live in the future. How many times have we seen a flag turn white and THEN the artillery icon pops up - too late. He should have seen the enemy converging on that area BEFORE they got to the flag and placed his arty then.

A commander that's good with VOIP is a huge asset. Was guarding the suburbs on Karkand once with my squad - commander says, "Bravo squad, you've got 4 baddies heading your way from the south". I think they were dead before they fully topped the hill.

Comment

one time, i was playing AF, the commander was like. move squad 2, you got a plane coming. move baby, move baby, here, supplies to fix your tank. then he was like. squad 2, you have two anti-tanks in front of you. we wont because the commader was giving good orders.

Comment

Originally posted by [TGBF]exile
              use your m and n keys, as i said before if he is spamming "enemy infantry spotted, or vehicle, etc" over and over, its usually a clue that "hey you guys might wonna take this guy out or pay attention to him", all you have to do is use your m and n keys to pull up your map...i know tankers that have their opacity set low and have the full sized map up at all times..probably not the best thing to do as infantry but just some food for thought
              Totally agree, don't get me wrong, me and my squads live and die by those keys. I am always telling the squad to "Check minimap." This being a clear indication that I or someone has spotted an enemy trying to work his way to flank us or is holed up somewhere taking pot shots at us.

If a commander was saying to telling a specific squad the details, it simply is smoother and more effective. Rather than spamming the spotted which might be half way across the map.

Saves me from zooming out all the time on my minimap - as I am always fully zoomed in when close to the objectives. Then zoomed back out to ensure no-one that may have been spotted is coming our way once the objective has been taken.

Comment

One that talks to the squads to let them know when flags are going to be taken. One that talks to the squads to warn of artillery...not strictly necessary but seeing as how so many people waltz into the arty zone it is helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by RocketPunch
                  This cannot be more wrong, IMO; but hey, may be thats just me.

Commanding is all about communication, not just pressing buttons. Anyone whos ever in an semi organized scrim knew that. The UAV can only do so much, and if you don't use VOIP while commanding, then the SCANNER will be pointless.

In fact there are many many servers out there who set specific rules for commander (among other stuff), those are the ones that you will find people actually promotes teamwork vs individual stat whoring.
                  In scrims and TWL matches, you don't have the luxury of VOIP. The rule is that it is disabled. I agree that commanding is all about communication, you pointing out the enemies to your team. You cannot always be guaranteed an entire team that will actually respond to you via voip either.

For me, that is one of the most annoying things in the world, having a chatty commander flapping his gums all through the map. I like to able to hear if someone is trying to sneak up on my, but since Chatty Cathy is going and going I can't. I know what I have to do when Im near a flag and it goes neutral.

The scan should be used for detecting overall enemy movements in an unexpected direction and to locate enemy troop movements that are not readily available under UAV. Scan is not useless without voice, only you as commander are supposed to see the results and ultimately it is your decision what to spot or not.

If talking through out the map provides you with a sense of superior teamwork that's fine, but that does not mean that it's the stardard rule for success. As long as you show the enemy positions, provide supply drops and vehicle drops when needed and keep the UAV up at all times, that is what makes a great commander. The best commanders I've ever seen never said a word, they were watching the battlefield and not talking.

Comment

Beeing Commander could be more effective if choppercrews and aviators automatichally were put in own squads. Making the Commander able to "support needed at this position," like the Havoc support infantry for flagcapping. Or "bombingrun requested" for the aviators.

Now I fly my jet, and suddenly I get the message of reparing some UAV-stuff. Ok, so I can hover, but I rarely fly as engeneer.

Comment

Originally posted by Revoluti0n
                      In scrims and TWL matches, you don't have the luxury of VOIP. The rule is that it is disabled. I agree that commanding is all about communication, you pointing out the enemies to your team. You cannot always be guaranteed an entire team that will actually respond to you via voip either.

For me, that is one of the most annoying things in the world, having a chatty commander flapping his gums all through the map. I like to able to hear if someone is trying to sneak up on my, but since Chatty Cathy is going and going I can't. I know what I have to do when Im near a flag and it goes neutral.

The scan should be used for detecting overall enemy movements in an unexpected direction and to locate enemy troop movements that are not readily available under UAV. Scan is not useless without voice, only you as commander are supposed to see the results and ultimately it is your decision what to spot or not.

If talking through out the map provides you with a sense of superior teamwork that's fine, but that does not mean that it's the stardard rule for success. As long as you show the enemy positions, provide supply drops and vehicle drops when needed and keep the UAV up at all times, that is what makes a great commander. The best commanders I've ever seen never said a word, they were watching the battlefield and not talking.
                      You got a point there that some matches, like TWL don't use VOIP. Sorry, if my post sounded a bit blunt, I just wanted to point out that it is an advantage that you can have for free when commanding with VOIP. That of course depends on if your squads will actually listens.

Comment

" What makes a good VoIP'ing Commander?"

a positive attitude...

Comment

Not overmodulating.

Comment

Originally posted by RocketPunch
                            You got a point there that some matches, like TWL don't use VOIP. Sorry, if my post sounded a bit blunt, I just wanted to point out that it is an advantage that you can have for free when commanding with VOIP. That of course depends on if your squads will actually listens.
                            No prob ROcket. Healthy discussion is excellent. I've just been in some servers where the commanders start the gum flapping non stop. Other times the commanders will just sit and somehow "know" when to drop supplies and when to spot things out all without saying a word. I imagine everyone has their own unique style of commanding. Some like to be verbal and other like to just sit and concentrate.
                            /Shrugs

Comment

Tonight I played with the best commander i've seen so far in BF2. I believe his name was BuzzKiLL or something like that. He was spotting guys not in the UAV, telling guys where to attack, dropping supplies, VOIPing where to go, where guys are etc etc. He was great!

Comment

I hate it when annoying 10 year old british kids come on voip and start screaming "Zomg! apc going for factory!!! 1 person vodnik at the train accident!!! Move out of the way for arty!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X