What makes a good VoIP'ing Commander?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a good VoIP'ing Commander?

I'm curious what makes a good VoIP'ing Commander?

Re: What makes a good VoIP'ing Commander?

ahh what do you mean? talking to the squads i dont know

Comment

You shouldn't have to say a word. If you are a good commander, you keep track of the enemy, make sure supplies go where they are needed, and the UAV is ALWAYS flying. VOIP has nothing to do with good commanding.

Comment

Once I was playing on Karkand as a Sniper and stayd back at the second flag (Square). Our forces pushed back the enemy from flag to flagbut there were some infiltrating enemies... The commander told me exactly where he is going to be in 5 seconds I had 11 kills and 0 death that round. We won in less than 10 minutes a "64" server.

Comment

Always have UAV flying yes, but if the enemy make a break for an area which isn't covered by your UAV then talk to your squads. Better still pick one squad, and ask them to deal with it whilst the rest carry on with capping that flag.

Comment

Originally posted by Harmor
            I'm curious what makes a good VoIP'ing Commander?
            Please dont be an annoying 9 year old screaming kid.

Information information information is what makes a good commander. God knows that the squads will almost never do what is expected from them. So just give out INTEL, use your stuff and let the squads do their work.

Comment

yeah you dont need the voip to command well, but it makes it a hell of a lot easier and better to communicate with your men. Also a tip for commanding not just squads, USE TEAM TALK!! never have i seen someone use that apart from me. (TEAM): ATTACK WAREHOUSE...works fine

Comment

I find I often get better reactions outta my team if I use VOIP. You don't want to go into too much detail, tho. Grunts don't have time to listen to a long-winded commander. Most of the time, I limit my comment to sit-reps after doing a scan.
                "The airstrip is undefended"
                "Lots of movement towards the trainyard"
                "We're going to lose the rivervillage"

Pointing out specific badguys is much better done with the spot command.

I'll also use VoiP to crack the occasional joke or give encouragement to the team. Ya know, gotta keep things fun.

Comment

commander shouldnt have to be talking over voip a lot, if a commander knows what he is doing, everything will be within uav and everything relevant outside of uav will be manually spotted....if you are too tunnel visioned to hear "enemy infantry spotted, etc." repetitively and then look at your map, then you prolly deserve to get flanked
                  some teams use commanders in a couple different ways, the primary role of the commander is the obvius "making sure everyone knows what is going on" which can be done without talking most of the time

other teams in addition to using the commander for information will rely on him to organize pushes and tell people to go where, what kits to use, etc. while other teams use a "field commander" if you will..and that person based off of the commanders info, will direct tactics

in general, if things are spotted the team should be able to react somewhat intellegently to a given sitution (ie. on karkand: if you are mec spawn camping the front 2 US spawns but there are people capping your back flags, then turn around and go get those flags back otherwise you will get capped out)

Comment

at least a good commander should tell you he is droping arty on the location you are trying to capture.....so you can get the heck out of there.

Comment

Originally posted by Hijacker
                      at least a good commander should tell you he is droping arty on the location you are trying to capture.....so you can get the heck out of there.
                      Good players check their maps and dont listen to stupid rap over the ingame sound when the commander yells- ARTILLERY, YOUR AREA!

Comment

I disagree, Commanders should be talking on Voip. I spend the majority of my time as Squad Leader and agreed, I should be doing most of the talking coordinating our advances, when to defend, spotting enemies etc.

But nothing makes me happier as a Squad Leader than when I inform the Commander what I am doing and where I am going and ask him for support from such and such squad so they can flank the enemy when I am pinned down to which he does via Voip.(I wish other Squad Leaders could be heard on the Commander Channel)

A mute Commander is useless. You don't know what the situation is if he isn't telling you. Simply spotting enemies and dropping crates isn't enough. With his top down view of things using the Satelite Scan, he can see the enemy using a back door to attack somewhere where I cannot. I routinely let the Commander know I am at his beck and call. I tell him I will go anywhere he wants and do anything he asks, provided I have the tools to do so (like no being able repair assets if I don't currently have an engineer with me). I enjoy this type of action. He soon learns that if there is enemy attacking the fartherst flag that is undefended by us, that he can send me there and I will bypass all else and get my butt there to take it back or prevent the capture of the flag. This usually means splitting my squad into a fast reaction team of about two or three people while the others continue with their current task. We then link back up elsewhere for our continued actions. This can only be accomplished via voip.

A talking Commander letting me know that the next supply crate is for me, arty in my area, spotting enemies as I advance to a defended location is completely invaluable and greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by [TGBF]exile
                          commander shouldnt have to be talking over voip a lot, if a commander knows what he is doing, everything will be within uav and everything relevant outside of uav will be manually spotted....if you are too tunnel visioned to hear "enemy infantry spotted, etc." repetitively and then look at your map, then you prolly deserve to get flanked
                          some teams use commanders in a couple different ways, the primary role of the commander is the obvius "making sure everyone knows what is going on" which can be done without talking most of the time

other teams in addition to using the commander for information will rely on him to organize pushes and tell people to go where, what kits to use, etc. while other teams use a "field commander" if you will..and that person based off of the commanders info, will direct tactics

in general, if things are spotted the team should be able to react somewhat intellegently to a given sitution (ie. on karkand: if you are mec spawn camping the front 2 US spawns but there are people capping your back flags, then turn around and go get those flags back otherwise you will get capped out)
                          You'd be surprised how many people ignore the spots of individual soldiers that don't show up on the UAV.

I usually just relay information. For example, "Requesting vehicle drop." So I say, "It's recharging. About 50%" or whatever. Same with any other requests.

Usually when I have one or two squads sneaking off to cap some flag away from the UAV, I'll spot and then zoom all the way in to tell the squads which way the guys are moving and what they are doing. I know they can see their direction on the minimap, but it all helps.

I also like to tell the team where the enemy is spawning and where, in general, they are moving towards. It's also easier to issue commands via VOIP than all that clicking (all two clicks).

Remember to use names of both players (SLs in particular), and locations (i.e. near Square, behind the train, etc.). So many people just assume because you use VOIP that they know where you are and what you are seeing. That's just a general VOIP rule.

Comment

There is plenty to be said over VOIP that can't be covered using basic commands. For example:

- Telling your squad leaders which areas of the map are undefended (dont waste a UAV)
                            - Telling your squads which DIRECTION they should attack certain flags from and which bases they should start at
                            - Telling squad leaders about unused vehicles

Among others... Squad leaders trust commanders that are willing to go the extra mile in order to win. Just don't over do it, 8-10 VOIP commands a game is plenty.

Comment

Originally posted by Revoluti0n
                              You shouldn't have to say a word. If you are a good commander, you keep track of the enemy, make sure supplies go where they are needed, and the UAV is ALWAYS flying. VOIP has nothing to do with good commanding.
                              This cannot be more wrong, IMO; but hey, may be thats just me.

Commanding is all about communication, not just pressing buttons. Anyone whos ever in an semi organized scrim knew that. The UAV can only do so much, and if you don't use VOIP while commanding, then the SCANNER will be pointless.

In fact there are many many servers out there who set specific rules for commander (among other stuff), those are the ones that you will find people actually promotes teamwork vs individual stat whoring.

Comment

Working...
                              X