Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When will EA pull the plug on BF2

Saw this article

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

EA are shutting down the servers that support older titles, newer versions are out. So how long will BF2 get once 2142 is released?

Re: When will EA pull the plug on BF2

prob not for a long time, since BF2 servers are a big money maker.

Comment

im sure there still will be unranked servers to play on, and by the time EA loses interest in BF2 financially most people will have gotten all the stats they wish to get and it wont be that big of a blow.

Comment

after they stop me from killing them if they do.

Comment

Suuuureeee ... liek when 2142 comes out you won`t work on those stats ... you`ll just keep working on the bf2 stats .... !?!? As soon as BF2142 comes out , the bf2 stats will mean nothing for me anymore as I`m going to work on the other ones ... EVEN THOUGH I don`t play for my stats and a lot of people can back me up on this statement .... I PLAY FOR FUN .. so I will still play bf2 from time to time, bu stats wise, I will concentrate on bf2142 ONLY!!!

Comment

I am sure that the ranked system Database servers will stay online for 2 more years.

Comment

But if they remove the server which controls logins you wont be able to play on any type of server - Im sure theres some time to go before it happens but really whats to stop them saying on 2142s release "2142s out so BF2s closing down go buy 2142"
              Its in EAs interest for us to change games and stopping us playing BF2 is a good way to get us to buy 2142 (which doesnt really appeal to me)

Comment

Originally posted by zuiquan1
                im sure there still will be unranked servers to play on, and by the time EA loses interest in BF2 financially most people will have gotten all the stats they wish to get and it wont be that big of a blow.
                You fail to realise that you have to log in through EA server (owned by gamespy I believe but EA still runs them) if they drop support for Bf2 you could be saying bye to multilayer altogether.

As long as there making more money coming in than going out from there ranked server they will continue to support the game however that is the only factor that they will work by, profit.

Comment

I wouldn`t be surprised neither, but hey ... they won`t ... there are still people playing MOH ( Medal of Honor ) , BF1942 and you can still find a lot of servers with people playing those games ... so why just out of a sudden stop BF2!?

Comment

Originally posted by bbfYoUGoTServeD
                    Suuuureeee ... liek when 2142 comes out you won`t work on those stats ... you`ll just keep working on the bf2 stats .... !?!? As soon as BF2142 comes out , the bf2 stats will mean nothing for me anymore as I`m going to work on the other ones ... EVEN THOUGH I don`t play for my stats and a lot of people can back me up on this statement .... I PLAY FOR FUN .. so I will still play bf2 from time to time, bu stats wise, I will concentrate on bf2142 ONLY!!!
                    All you little stat whores make me laugh ,jesus what do you get if you have great stats? money? free women? free beer? nothing you get NOTHING,so just learn to enjoy the game and stop going on about stats.

Comment

Originally posted by bbfYoUGoTServeD
                      I wouldn`t be surprised neither, but hey ... they won`t ... there are still people playing MOH ( Medal of Honor ) , BF1942 and you can still find a lot of servers with people playing those games ... so why just out of a sudden stop BF2!?
                      i aggree. what is going to happend is that EA/DICE wont be making any more patches. they will drop all support from it because they wont be making more money out of bf2. all their resources are going to be diverted into making the new bf2 game. most clans, they will keep their servers and people will continue playing the game.

Comment

SF and BF2 have different stats that are tracked separately, yet together, yet they are all tied to the same stats database. Since BF2142 is using the same engine as BF2 it would be safe to assume that it is going to use the same Stats server (much like SF and BF2 do now). I think the deciding factor into when BF2 ranked servers are shut down will be the server admins and when they decide to shut them down for the next best thing (BF2142?). As long as EA makes money off of the BF2/BF2142 ranked servers, they will remain active.

I am not too concerned about that at this point in the game development game and won't be concerned unless EA announces that BF2142 stats will be tracked using a different stats server.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar-C}{G-
                          SF and BF2 have different stats that are tracked separately, yet together, yet they are all tied to the same stats database. Since BF2142 is using the same engine as BF2 it would be safe to assume that it is going to use the same Stats server (much like SF and BF2 do now). I think the deciding factor into when BF2 ranked servers are shut down will be the server admins and when they decide to shut them down for the next best thing (BF2142?). As long as EA makes money off of the BF2/BF2142 ranked servers they will remain active

I am not too concerned about that at this point in the game development game and won't be concerned unless EA announces that BF2142 stats will be tracked using a different stats server.

True words spoken.

IMO, the player database will dwindle down over the years.
                          So it might not be as costly to EA to still host the account servers.
                          It'll be interesting to see what happens when 2142 comes out, the BF2 communities reaction

Comment

Originally posted by Bickus^Dickus
                            All you little stat whores make me laugh ,jesus what do you get if you have great stats? money? free women? free beer? nothing you get NOTHING,so just learn to enjoy the game and stop going on about stats.
                            E-Penis size!

Comment

Originally posted by scarywoody
                              E-Penis size!
                              I wish i could give you rep poings. so freaking funny

Comment

Working...
                              X