flares flares flares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: flares flares flares

Instead, missiles go past the flares and hit friendly targets ...

Comment

Originally posted by Talus
      Instead, missiles go past the flares and hit friendly targets ...
      IF the friendly target is in the targeting cone. I believe DICE intentionally reduced it from 90 to 45 degrees because of that. The further you decrease it, the smaller the chance of a missile going for friendlies after passing flares. One could experiment with that, however... how much does one have to boost the other properties in order to balance the missiles "lack of vision"?

Comment

------
        On turning
        ------
        A commin mistake is to release during the start of your bank left, or right.
        Doing so creates a sort of C shape that follows the first flare to your plane, and while this may work at times, it is not a good method. As missiles can't "zig zag" this creates a STEADY turn for them, especially for those pesky j10 missiles.

*****DO NOT PULL UP WHILE FLARING******
        The only way this will work is if you create yet another C shape, but as if you are going up then down.

Example:

Now if you continue pulling up rather than dropping behind the screen, the missiles will track right back up to your burners and have a fully exposed body to hit.

---Rolling with flares

Doing a barrel roll normally works with evading missiles while you are flaring, as the area to hit constantly changes. But you need to keep level when doing so. Release your flares AWAY from you by rolling in ONE*** direction so the missile chases over there while you roll in a horizontal and perpendicular direction to your flares (just turn left after u roll left and drop your flares).

----CONSERVE your afterburners

Do not use your burners when you are flying level with a missile on you, rather conserve them, check your rear, and when they near, ignite em and bank without exposing your whole body to the enemy jet. This takes practice especially with conserving your afterburners but it works.

Now I'm not the expert on these, and my ideas may be invalid on some areas, but I believe that most work.
        I am a much better helo pilot than I am jet, so I am constantly experimenting with ideas.

One last tip
        *HELOS*
        When you flares, wait for the missile to be fired and Bank away from the position, turn your body to a 45 degree angle and bank while flaring.
        The missile will track the flares, or if it doesn't will normally miss as it goes UNDER you.
        Rolling does work too, but check your altitude.
        Flips also work well, but don't start your flip when a missile fires, other wise it has your whole underside to hit. Finish your flip by the time it fires and it should fire above you if you flared during the start of your flip.

Comment

The above seems top be contradicting this whole post.

So which is it? Flare and turn, turn and flare or something else?

Comment

its not contradicting it, i posted originially.
            I was trying to explain something that didn't come out too well.
            I'm saying, don't release and make a steady bank
            as then the flares will follow the easy curve right into you. But you release em, let em all fall, and turn in the opposite direction, so the missiles track away from you.

Comment

Thanks for the tips and the clarification. I'm going to try and get some more practice with this particular trick.

Comment

-I once heard in a Tom Clancy book of the flare and drop method as stated above.

It's what people say as re-using the flares.... and yes, they do have a long life span, I've been able numerous times to drop em, do a U turn and come back right under and re-use em.

Also
                After flying quite a bit, while checking your rear does help..... use the cokcpit view and free look, it helps to "spot" the jet so you can see it on your map, which is insanely helpful in dogifghts.

Also, use your surroundings, missiles DON'T go through buildings lol. Use them to your advantage.

Comment

I practiced for a bit on co op with some skilled buddies of mine, so I am Ok with plane now. It seems to me that if you turn on you side so your wings are up and down when you bank that you can cut to the side faster and therefore have a greater benefit from flares. If you prop yourslef up like that you can swing behind an enemy jet banking reguraly past your flares...

Does this work or am I imaginig it?

Comment

That's how you turn....
                    You Rotate so your Perpendicular with the horizon level
                    Then you pull back on the stick and that's how you turn the fastest
                    If your use your burners there you turn faster, but you also make a slightly wider turn as it pushes you out more....

Comment

Ok. See what I mean... n00bie pilot... but to: Chris Refield and Sir. Blades... I am trying!!

One of the skilled aviators who was helping me told me that as a newbie pilot I should completely avoid the enemy planes, and just stay on the outskirts of the map, and hten swoop in a nd bomb some1 when my team sights them. Is that an ok thing to do or should I be trying to fight the enemy planes?

Comment

Only engage the enemy planes if they are fragging like crazy. If they are causing MASSIVE damage to the team, hunt them down like crazy. There is no way that you alone can make up for bleed and kills alone. Take out the J10 and camp them if necessary.

Course, I just go after them for fun usually and then go out, frag the map like crazy then shoot them down again and repeat.

Bottom line: Good enemy jets in air, engage and shoot them down.
                        Bad enemy jets, just frag and watch out for them.
                        No enemy jets: Frag a ****load.

Comment

Originally posted by [FM]Master_Chief
                          The above seems top be contradicting this whole post.

So which is it? Flare and turn, turn and flare or something else?
                          I know what you mean by this. This doesnt contradict much. Its just stating two methods. If you flare in turn, theres a risk that you create a pattern for missile to follow you, but Ive rarely seen that. Its more than likely that the chaser will reaquire a lock o you because you shoot the flares "outwards" and "downwards" leaving the jet itsself exposed.

Comment

Working...
                          X