X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: whats up with flares

Flares work perfect... it is just you.

Learn to use them.

Like blades said... they aren't supposed to "cover" you... that is literally making yourself a bigger target..

Drop them in your position, and gtfo of there.

The point is, make them follow the flares, and have nothing near the flares.. get away from the flares when you drop them.

Comment

It just happened again - was playing Taraba in the Linebacker - guy comes from behind and to my right - misses with his bomb - as he goes past I lock on - he pops his flares - brakes LEFT - completely outruns his flares and I drop him.

Then he starts whining about his flares not working.

Comment

just they aim above the flares so your aircraft is the nearest heat source

Comment

Originally posted by Rub-UFS-
          I noticed flares in the chopper vs AA are useless. This is mainly when I'm close and trying to attack stationary AA. They turn, lock and I release flares while attempting to light 'em up. I get hit everytime, whether it's just 1 or both missiles. It's a bummer but I get them in the end.
          The reason you still get hit while you have flares out in a chopper is because you're too close. AA placements don't lock into any targets until a few seconds after they are fired.

Meaning, they fire the AA missiles..they fly for about 2 or 3 seconds before locking onto something. So, if you have flares out, it does nothing if you're very close to the AA. They just have to fire the rockets in your direction to hit you if they are good at aiming. You need to be farther away to give the rockets time to lock onto the flares and away from you.

Comment

this worked for me perfectly before but they sudenly(sp) started pissing me of

Im in front of an AA vehicle with my chopper, far away but not too far away for him to take me out, I hear the sound, release the flares and at the same second i see his missiles coming towards me(while my flares are in the air) and bang im down, I had no problems with this before and jets are impossible do dodge with flares, i was dodging them every time before, it seems imposible now

but when Im in an AA vehicle and in the same position my misiles always lock on to his flares not him, see what Im saying here

been playing this game long enough and I know how to use them, I know ur not always supposed to release them right away

Ill try to record some stuff so I can show u what Im talking about

Comment

The only people that think flares don't work are noob pilots with no skill. Any pilot worth their salt knows how to avoid them, it's as simple as that. People on AA just wait for you to deploy your flares, and then shoot the missiles. I've shot down hundreds of aircraft, and in my experience, flares have worked 100% of the time. Not 25%, not 50%, not 75%.

To think or say otherwise means you are nothing but a noob pilot.

Comment

Originally posted by Combat-Quokka
                The only people that think flares don't work are noob pilots with no skill. Any pilot worth their salt knows how to avoid them. It's as simple as that. People on AA just wait for you to deploy your flares, and then shoot the missiles.

To think or say otherwise means you are nothing but a noob pilot.
                U STILL DONT GET IT, I GET SHOT DOWN WHILE MY FLARES ARE """""""""""""""""""UP IN THE AIR""""""""""""""""""""""""

dont judge my flying btw coz u've never had a chance to fly with me

Comment

Originally posted by =PSU=PJMAK1
                  this worked for me perfectly before but they sudenly(sp) started pissing me of

Im in front of an AA vehicle with my chopper, far away but not too far away for him to take me out, I hear the sound, release the flares and at the same second i see his missiles coming towards me(while my flares are in the air) and bang im down, I had no problems with this before and jets are impossible do dodge with flares, i was dodging them every time before, it seems imposible now

but when Im in an AA vehicle and in the same position my misiles always lock on to his flares not him, see what Im saying here

been playing this game long enough and I know how to use them, I know ur not always supposed to release them right away

Ill try to record some stuff so I can show u what Im talking about
                  Whether you release them instantly or release them an hour later wouldn't change the fact that the missiles won't lock onto flares if you're too close. They have a few seconds before they lock onto anything...dumbfire mode. That might explain why they hit you and ignore the flares...you're too close.

Comment

Originally posted by Combat-Quokka
                    The only people that think flares don't work are noob pilots with no skill. Any pilot worth their salt knows how to avoid them, it's as simple as that.
                    exactly

As everyone already said...

YOU... aren't using them right.

Don't just drop them and expect them to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by metallicaguitrst
                      exactly

As everyone already said...

YOU... aren't using them right.

Don't just drop them and expect them to "work".
                      ok and how come my missiles never lock on anyone while their flares are out, not everyone is an expert at dropping flares

Im not a noob btw

Comment

i may be wrong, but i think if your pretty hot on someones ***, your missles will pass by their flares and nail them.

Comment

Originally posted by =PSU=PJMAK1
                          ok and how come my missiles never lock on anyone while their flares are out, not everyone is an expert at dropping flares

Im not a noob btw

You shoot the missles anyways, even if you are locked on to the flares.

But IMO anyone who relys on missles to down a chopper, needs to never get into a jet again.

Comment

By the time you fire a missile he flares misses and you come back, Hes got flares again lol. I know most people can prob down a chopper in 1 pass but it takes me 2 passes if im having a bad day 3

Comment

Originally posted by DesertFox
                              By the time you fire a missile he flares misses and you come back, Hes got flares again lol. I know most people can prob down a chopper in 1 pass but it takes me 2 passes if im having a bad day 3

Uhh....

That's why you use CANNONS not missles...

lol

Comment

Ok, this is just my observation.

Missiles mostly ignore flares, if they are fired with a solid lock and the flares come out after firing. I'm going to say they hit their target 80% of the time in this case, but I may be wrong on that.

However, flares do confuse the initial pre-fire "lock", and that is all they do with any sure consistancy.

So, some people ask whey do people flare instantly? It's because it breaks the lock pre-firing. And if it's a ground station, it gives them time to get out of targeting range. If it's another jet, then you are going to have to deal with that threat appropriately.

With the poor code in BF2, I don't give any real weight to the whole "it increases your heat signature" blah blah blah. The BF2 code isn't that good.

My biggest beef is with the delayed/missing lock tone on the target jet. I've been shot by a "locked" missile before (not straight dumb-fire, but following), and never even heard the lock sound. I'm getting that too as a ground-pounder where I don't get a hit direction indicator or a bullet hit sound before falling over dead. It started around the 1.20 patch.

Anyway, just some observations.

Comment

Working...
                                X