Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hitting moving targets from the side - Impossible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitting moving targets from the side - Impossible?

Hi,

I noticed that it is impossible to hit a moving target from the side - when the target reaches a certain speed, you can aim anywhere you want (much lead, a little lead, no lead etc.), but you won't hit.

Just try to hit an airplane with a mounted .50 cal machine gun. You will only hit it when it moves towards you or away from you. But when you shoot at it from the side, every bullet will miss. Only if the airplane is slow enough, you can actually hit it.

I think this is a general bug in the BF2 engine.
    This was not the case with BF1942. Back then, you had to aim with extremely much lead (you only "really" hit when the projectile missed the target by far on your screen), but at least it was possible to hit a target from any angle.

Am I the only one who noticed this?

Re: Hitting moving targets from the side - Impossible?

Originally posted by TomasRiker
    Hi,

I noticed that it is impossible to hit a moving target from the side - when the target reaches a certain speed, you can aim anywhere you want (much lead, a little lead, no lead etc.), but you won't hit.

Just try to hit an airplane with a mounted .50 cal machine gun. You will only hit it when it moves towards you or away from you. But when you shoot at it from the side, every bullet will miss. Only if the airplane is slow enough, you can actually hit it.

I think this is a general bug in the BF2 engine.
    This was not the case with BF1942. Back then, you had to aim with extremely much lead (you only "really" hit when the projectile missed the target by far on your screen), but at least it was possible to hit a target from any angle.

Am I the only one who noticed this?
    That is your entire problem right there.

Comment

ok it sbecous speed of bullet is to low + ping

one day when i wos traing out snipe guy from about 250> m with ping about 80> this heappen i have pressd mouse button -gun have fired and guy have been hit about 1,5 sek. after, lol that realy wos creazy -mayby bf2 engin have some problems with faster objects so they did slow bullets look at day of defeat game -nomather how you shot -ange distanc you (always hit) -
      if you have missd so its foult of yours and not of the game not like in bf 2 -ye ye we cen shot some times 30 bullets in to guy and he dont die -you can say - you dont have skill but there is difrenc betwen skill and ****y programers

sorry for my bad english im not from USA or UK

Comment

who the hell trys to shoot down jets with a 50 cal?

use it on helos, you will be able to hit them.

Comment

It's impossible... just cause of that.

You see the ****ing bullets hitting on your end of the deal, but the server sees it differently...

Comment

thats weird, i was just going to put a post on how to aim at people running to the side because that is my most inaccurate shot. Kinda weird at how i can hit people running to the side from far away, but at medium range...it's a REAL toughy. anyone have any ideas on how to aim at people running to the side?

Comment

your not alone, at long range makeing the side shots while there running IS easier than at medium and sometimes even close ranges. The oddity is compounded by the fact that you see the dust kicking up on the model from your bullets but they take no damage and you get no hit conformation on your cross hairs (the small lines that jut out diagonally for a split second when you hit).

Comment

umm i think you can

Comment

yeah i dont ever try to shoot down pplanes with a .50, but helos yeah. I just ask for a vehicle drop in a retreated area and shoot down troops and helos.
                  but yeah i just dont quite think that bf2 is glitchless.

yeah i dont ever try to shoot down pplanes with a .50, but helos yeah. I just ask for a vehicle drop in a retreated area and shoot down troops and helos.
                  but yeah i just dont quite think that bf2 is glitchless. i have been able to shott a gunner in a tank but yeah i get pissed off when i am unable ot shoot out gunners in .50's

Comment

Originally posted by Revoluti0n
                    That is your entire problem right there.
                    I have shot down many airplanes using the .50 cal machine guns - especially the bombers on Operation Cleansweep.
                    But the airplanes can only be hit when they approach me or when they are flying away from me (from the side it's only possible when they are flying very slowly). So this can't be a matter of too slow bullets - since otherwise the bullets wouldn't be able to hit the airplane from behind.
                    It must be a serious bug in the hit detection code, and I'd love to see it fixed.

You can even keep firing at one spot in the sky. When the airplane crosses this line, it will never be hit, as long as it is fast enough. Very strange!

Similar thing: a jeep is approaching you, you fire a TOW/rocket and it flies right through the jeep, which then runs you over.

Comment

Originally posted by TomasRiker
                      Similar thing: a jeep is approaching you, you fire a TOW/rocket and it flies right through the jeep, which then runs you over.
                      that is so ****ing annoying

Comment

Ye have you ever fired a rocket at close range like when a jeep is very close to running you over? The rocket goes straight through it and you mostly end up as road kill

Comment

I think EA/DICE should really fix that.
                          Could the topic be moved to the "Game Feedback" forum?

Comment

It's pretty simple why this is so difficult. Battlefield 2 (regardless of the server) has just about the worst netcode of any game I've ever played. To make matters worse the faster an object is moving the crappier the netcode functions. That includes TOW rockets flying through vehicles (never detected the vehicle in the first place), tank shells doing no damage to fast moving vehicles even though you hit on your screen, shooting airplane cannons at the back of a fast turning aircraft and seeing them hit but doing absolutely no damage. Speaking of tank shells not doing damage to fast moving vehicles that's pretty much the number one reason why I die in a tank. I shoot a C4 jeep suicide bomber and the shot doesn't register and at that point I'm pretty much screwed as they'll reach me before another shot reloads.

It becomes very apparent when you're shooting at a player sprinting especially from side to side ahead of your view. Your aim may be dead on but the shots don't register properly.

If you want an example of what EXCELLENT netcode looks like I recommend you go try playing Counterstrike:Source. With arguably the best netcode of any FPS when you shoot something in that game on your screen it hits them in the game immediately every time.. even if you've got a crappy ping (but it works even better with a low ping).

Comment

nah, i dont like CSS. i mostly hate those goddamn AWP-whores.
                              another reason is theres no bullet thing.
                              ie: i shoot and enemy, he shoots me. in BF2, both of us would likely die but in CSS the person which has better ping/computer wins. kinda crappy.

oh and CSS doesnt have the "best netcode"
                              its proven that even if you jump away your hitbox "lags" behind. so even if you moved behind the wall your still dead because of that AWPwhore you thought you avoided.

Comment

Working...
                              X