Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little tip for decreasing loading times.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Little tip for decreasing loading times.

i turn this on when i play specila forces it helps a lot, no choppy gameplay!

Comment

umm when i hit Ctrl + Alt + Delete it dont work
      it used to but now it dont

Comment

Originally posted by AliothSkySystems
        i set it too belownormal, now i get 2 to 3 second load times

The answer to this is rather simple.

it's not the BF that makes it slow. The client verification happens within the hard drive. Since, if you have somewhat ok computer, and the cpu can handle bf2 without problems (doesnt really need that much), setting it below normal, gives the cpu more assets to handle the client verification process (again, it's just a task where cpu has to find and verify certain files from your HD, wich takes hell of alot more from cpu than the game itself)

all-in-one, game itself doesnt need humongous amounts of cpu, it's memory and gpu mainly that it needs.. however, anything done inside the HD, uses cpu...

Comment

Tried it , works for me . Thx man

Comment

I CANT DO THE CTRL + ALT + DELETE THING
            please how come it dont work anymore

Comment

alt-tab out the game and ctrl-shift-esc or right click on task bar for task manager

Comment

This actually doesn't work for me, because my mouse and keyboard gets pushed down in priority. About 3 seconds worth. So when I hit forward, I'll start moving three seconds later.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrad_Joe
                  I CANT DO THE CTRL + ALT + DELETE THING
                  please how come it dont work anymore
                  You have red nothing but the first post in this thread haven't you

Comment

Moving to a new HD gave me MAJOR increase in load times, with the same specs as before (athlon 2600+ running at 2.2ghtz, 2gb ram).

I also made 3 partitions on the drive. 1 for BS, 1 for windows/program files space, and a 3rd for my swapfile/pagefile use. I'm usually one of the first 5 or so in a 64 man full server.

Comment

You could go even further and create partitions on a second HDD where you have BF2 on partition 1 of drive 2 for example, and swap partition on partition 2 of HDD2.
                      I have this setup (bf2 is not installed in default "program files" dir. but on second HDD.)
                      My verification time is around 15 seconds. I am always one of the first or the first one to be on the map.

Comment

I OC'd CPU and GFX card of my old Dell 4600( CPU 2.4->2.8Ghz, GFX X850Pro->X850XT ), get about a 40% improvement all around

If you want to start this tinkering theres a lot more that can be done too:
                        - disable performance monitoring in XP
                        - pause the task manager
                        - turn off all unnecessary services
                        - end all process which are junk like cli.exe if you have an ati card and atitraytools or similar - for nvidia, processes like the helper ones for the X-Fi card
                        - switch off all virus checkers,spyware
                        - close down all apps( even explorer.exe, but leave taskmanager open so you can ALT + TAB back to windows if you need to do something or when you are finished BF2 )
                        - use PCI latency Tool if you have an AGP card and a PCI sound card
                        - delete your cache,defrag HD
                        - run Daemon tools with a CD image instead of having BF2 CD/DVD in the DVD Rom drive
                        - rename the BF2 movie files
                        - rename the BF2.exe( removes some crappy optimizations ATI and NVidia made for the BF2 demo which slows full game down ), similar trick works for F.E.A.R.

the list goes on and on and on
                        the above will also help on 512/1Gig machines as you'll be using less ram for services and processes

Comment

Originally posted by RotJ
                          You can do the same thing using a Windows shortcut. For the default BF2 shortcut, replace the target field with:
                          Code:
                          C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c start "runhigh" /high "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1
                          For any other shortcut, just add
                          Code:
                          C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c start "runhigh" /high
                          to the beginning of the target field.
                          when every i do this it says Another Program is currently using this file

Comment

deleting the cache files in your bf2 folder in my documents, and deleting temp internet files seems to do wonders too. among keeping your hard drive defragged...

Comment

if you hit CTRL ALT DEL several times it helps too. It's like FPS booster for free

Comment

Originally posted by Zefram
                                if you hit CTRL ALT DEL several times it helps too. It's like FPS booster for free
                                Yeah same thing happens if you pull the power plug several times. It will make your fps go shmooth

Comment

Working...
                                X