Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little tip for decreasing loading times.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little tip for decreasing loading times.

I don't know if most of you know this but here goes:

my loading times were terrible, the loading time took forever and verying client data was shocking. i got to the point where i was fed up and did not play bf2 for a while until i done this

Go to task manager (ctrl, alt, delete) and go to processes, right click on bf2.exe

Then set priority to high,

Do this when you log in, minimize and perform this action. For me this worked fine but for others i don't know.

This will speed up your loading times and veryfing client data will take less time, try it and let me know.

Microsoft : Changing the priority of a process can make it run faster or slower (depending on whether you raise or lower the priority), but it can also adversely affect the performance of other processes.

Take a wee bit of caution while doing this

Re: Little tip for decreasing loading times.

This works for some. For others it makes it even worse.

Comment

true, but trying it wont do any harm ( i think)

Comment

What about "Realtime"

Comment

oh no

realtime makes it go 50x slower, i tried it and that was the result.

Comment

Hehe, I remember playing this the CPU priority options on some programs, took me 10 minutes to gain back control of my PC because it simply wouldn't respond (the program was fine though)

Comment

may work for some, may not for others, but in my case, all it does is increase my loading times and increased performance of bf2. I was nearly on the brink of throwing bf2 'oot the windae' but tried this and hey presto. im still here

Comment

lol great phrase there . Ill be sure to give this a try anyways cheers .

Comment

i set it too belownormal, now i get 2 to 3 second load times

Comment

hmmm, never done that one... will give that a go but seems strange

Comment

Glad to hear that upping task priority helped in your case. But it could also cause all sorts of system-bottlenecks.

Instead of alt-ctrl-del out of BF2 you could also create a batch file on your desktop with the following code in it:

Code:
                      cd C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\
                      start /high BF2.exe
                      To create a batch file simply create a new *.txt document on your desktop, and paste this code in it.
                      Then save it as a *.bat file. You can do this by simply removing the *.txt extension, and replace it with *.bat

Double-clicking this batch file will start BF2, and will make it run at high priority without having to alt-ctrl-del out of the game. Might be a good thing since we all know how "stable" BF2 currently runs

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaNut
                        Glad to hear that upping task priority helped in your case. But it could also cause all sorts of system-bottlenecks.

Instead of alt-ctrl-del out of BF2 you could also create a batch file on your desktop with the following code in it:

Code:
                        cd C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\
                        start /high BF2.exe
                        To create a batch file simply create a new *.txt document on your desktop, and paste this code in it.
                        Then save it as a *.bat file. You can do this by simply removing the *.txt extension, and replace it with *.bat

Double-clicking this batch file will start BF2, and will make it run at high priority without having to alt-ctrl-del out of the game. Might be a good thing since we all know how "stable" BF2 currently runs
                        You can do the same thing using a Windows shortcut. For the default BF2 shortcut, replace the target field with:
                        Code:
                        C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c start "runhigh" /high "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1
                        For any other shortcut, just add
                        Code:
                        C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c start "runhigh" /high
                        to the beginning of the target field.

Comment

Jupp works fine too - I just found the batch-way easiest to explain
                          And since I'm from an old pre-xp generation I tend to describe the process the way I learned it anno domini

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaNut
                            Jupp works fine too - I just found the batch-way easiest to explain
                            And since I'm from an old pre-xp generation I tend to describe the process the way I learned it anno domini
                            What I don't like about batch files is that there doesn't seem to be a way to change the icon from the standard "cog in a window" to what you're actually running. The only workaround to get a custom icon is make a .bat file (not on the desktop), and then make a shortcut to that .bat file, changing the icon of the shortcut to whatever you want.

Comment

That is a negative aspect you are right.
                              But then you already provided the workaround for it
                              You could place the bat file in the BF2 directory, and remove the cd "path" in the code.
                              Then make the shortcut on your desktop to the batch.
                              This again, if the batchfile is named for example "BF2.bat" all you have to do is rename the extension in the existing BF2 shortcut on your desktop from "BF2.exe" to "BF2.bat"

Comment

Working...
                              X