Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Less biased Chopper Poll.

Originally posted by Combat-Quokka
    It's you who should do the checking. It still exists. As far as I can tell, it has never been removed.
    or you suck at AA

Comment

Originally posted by Uberduber
      When you look back at BF2 1.0, it's hard to believe how powerful air power (specifically attack helicopters) was then:
      -more armour
      -14 rockets, instead of 6 It's 8 now... we lost 6.
      -TV missile distance 50% longer than it is now We lost 1/3, it was 600 meters.
      -AA lock lost when pilot switched seat

And you guys are STILL complaining that a single guy in a chopper is kicking your ***? Leave the gameplay alone, already!
      My comments in bold.

As for the actual thread, I voted BAD. I will not go on a rant like in my own topic, but I will give you one very good reason why this change will have a serious negative impact: often enough, you will join a team in which no one enters the helicopter.

However, you figure "no biggie, I can TV and seat-switch, so more fun for me." Little do you know, the other team has a good chopper crew in the air, fully ready to shoot you down with a hellfire.

Unfortunately, Dice has decided that you are not to switch and shoot. Since you no longer have the freedom to use this tactic, you are forced into a close-range battle... and that's assuming the opposition fails to hit you with their TV.

Congratulations Dice, you've made fighting back against stacked or otherwise good teams/opposition even harder when surrounded by inept and ultimately useless teammates. Bad, bad change...

Comment

Originally posted by Combat-Quokka
        It's you who should do the checking. It still exists. As far as I can tell, it has never been removed.
        The confusion here is because in 1.3 you can lock onto a chopper as long as it's manned. That much they fixed. However, if you have tone on a chopper and he changes seats, the lock is reset and you have to reaquire before you can launch effectivly.

I just came from a couple rounds and when outta my way to test this. Fortunatly a soloist did show up and I was able to check it out. Extra fortunatly, our team had a crewed chopper that owned his arse.

Originally posted by Sloi
        you are forced into a close-range battle
        OR

You have to use the asset as intended.

That other chopper ain't gonna have TVGMs either, unless he's got himself a gunner. It's not like you are being specificly hard done by.

Comment

When they stop the possibility of swithcing, they will more than likely screw something else up in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Wargimp
            OR

You have to use the asset as intended.

That other chopper ain't gonna have TVGMs either, unless he's got himself a gunner. It's not like you are being specificly hard done by.
            Grace us with your wisdom, Wargimp, final authority on all things BF2: how was the asset intended to be used?

Additionally, I take it you haven't fully read or understood my scenario: I made it quite clear that my solo helicopter was faced with proficient opposition to illustrate a point which it seems you have failed to grasp. By forcing teamwork, Dice are also causing serious balance issues in situations where one team lacks players to use the asset in question.

Do you follow me yet?

Comment

Grace us with your wisdom, Wargimp, final authority on all things BF2: how was the asset intended to be used?
              Application of a little common sence works wonders when trying to guess at the intentions of others.
              If Dice had intended solo chopper, why not use the right mouse button? It's not bound to anything else by default. Infact, why go to all the effort to create a 2 seater vehicle? It would have been much more simple for them to make it a single seater and allow it to kick the living crap outta everything else on the field.

Additionally, I take it you haven't fully read or understood my scenario: I made it quite clear that my solo helicopter was faced with proficient opposition to illustrate a point which it seems you have failed to grasp. By forcing teamwork, Dice are also causing serious balance issues in situations where one team lacks players to use the asset in question.

Do you follow me yet?
              Oh yes, I follow you quite clearly.
              You're mad because (apparently) you are going to lose your ability to own all by yourself and will have to deal with other people just like everyone else who plays this game.

Saying that this is going to make things worse is a non-starter. You are just as likely to have a skilled crew on your team as there will be on the other. In pub terms, it's most likely to reduce the overall effectivness of attack choppers since no one person will be able to dominate.

No one is saying "We're going to screw over Sloi" by taking away his toys. They are saying "A powerful asset like an attack chopper should require a 2 man crew to be effective on the field".

Comment

Originally posted by Wargimp
                They are saying "A powerful asset like an attack chopper should require a 2 man crew to be effective on the field".
                Interesting how tanks, APC's and jets are not powerful assets; so 1 man is enough to effectively use them.

Comment

Originally posted by Churrasco
                  Interesting how tanks, APC's and jets are not powerful assets; so 1 man is enough to effectively use them.
                  Yeah, I know.
                  As I mentioned above, I'd be happier seeing those requiring a two man crew aswell.

I suppose the arguement could be made that since armour can be taken out by planes, choppers, TOWs, eachother, AT mines, AT missiles, AND C4, they aren't as overpowering as a one man chopper... but that point is kinda moot.

Comment

Do you follow me yet?
                    Anyway, you shouldn't be able to switch seats and fire the TVM. Two-man vehicles should require two men to operate them. I'd say two-player, but let's be honest, we're 99% dudes.

Comment

Well hey, keep letting them nerf your game, fellas: eventually, you'll be left with nothing but a sandbox. I sure won't be purchasing 2142 knowing the damn thing will change every three months. Instead, I'll take a chance with Quakewars: I can already tell what the replies to this will be... "good", "buh bye" and "don't let the door hit ..." come to mind. Too bad, you just lost a fantastic ally.

Comment

Well hey, keep letting them nerf your game, fellas: eventually, you'll be left with nothing but a sandbox. I sure won't be purchasing 2142 knowing the damn thing will change every three months. Instead, I'll take a chance with Quakewars: I can already tell what the replies to this will be... "good", "buh bye" and "don't let the door hit ..." come to mind. Too bad, you just lost a fantastic ally.
                        I'm really not sure why you seem to be taking all of this so personally.

I'd be happy as hell to have you gun for me (but wouldn't jump in your gunner's seat... I fly better than I shoot).

Doesn't the idea of gunning full time appeal to you? Think of all the kills! Yer gonna be the one on top if you have a good pilot doing the hardwork for you. Sure, you're gonna occasional scream about the noob that just did a backflip on takeoff, but I'm thinking some of the pilots out there would suprise you... especially if you start using in-game voice on a good server.

Comment

I appreciate the chance to gun for competent pilots (and I know very few that I trust enough to fly with in confidence) but I derive more satisfaction from both executing evasive maneuvers and challenging shots by myself: I'm proud of having mastered this skill, and I am truly saddened that my fellow players would prefer regarding me in contempt rather than the asset they can count on in times of need. I eliminate a vast majority of the opposition and free up a player for the purpose of advancing on flags: how am I lower than dirt in your collective eyes?

You will understand your loss when soloers will no longer be able to serve you when the time comes.

Comment

how am I lower than dirt in your collective eyes?
                            The heat you've been taking is mostly do to the stigma assosiated with soloists. You might not be a TKing smacktard, but there's so many soloists out there that are.

It also doesn't help when you go off about how good you are and how all the groundpounders are whiny crybabies. Truth is, you couldn't survive without those groundpounders. They do the dirty work while you fly around and get spectacular kills in your lean, mean killing machine. Maybe they are worthy of your respect. If you showed it to them, maybe they'd return it.

Comment

I'm more often than not flying deep in enemy territory, far in advance of our troops ensuring that none of the armor gets in the way of your captures: trust me, infantry and ground troops are not the reason for my survival. Is this semblance of arrogance the main reason for the hatred I've been faced with on this board? It's a fact, not an arrogant comment.

Comment

I didn't say survive... I said win.
                                While you're killing those assets behing enemy lines, who do you think is taking flags and mopping up the ground forces?

They could win without you, but you couldn never win without them.
                                You owe 'em thanks for that.

Comment

Working...
                                X