Game suddenly is choppy!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Game suddenly is choppy!!!

Have same issue, started Thursday July 13 for me.

Symptoms:
    Fine single player
    Multiplayer (even running 800x600/LOW/NO AA) consistenly 3-4 seconds i get a hiccup or what they call warping lag.

Ping is pretty much 50ms on most servers in US and steady, unchanging. Lag increase dramatically as you go toe-to-toe with another player. End up losing because of it. Game is unplayable in multiplayer now.

Troubleshooting (didn't work)
    - msconfig: disabled all startup resources and programs (runs in safe mode but installs sound and vid drivers/internet)
    -Tried lowering desktop to 800x600 16-bit
    -Replaced DSL modem with new
    -Replaced on-board ethernet with wireless network card (disabled in BIOS)
    -Tried CRT and LCD widescreen

You all may be surprised to know (those that think it's punkbuster) is that when I tried it on my second computer (same internet connection/router), the lag went away on multiplayer. (Both computer were formatted with WinXP Pro SP2 and all updates installed, then audio drivers, then vid drivers)

I'm THINKING that it has something to do with a windows update that microsoft just released that messes up some computers. That's my thought only cause I've troubleshooted everything else.

SYSTEM #1
    Asus P4P800e Deluxe/Intel 3.2GHz HT
    2 GB Corsair TwinX latency: 2.0
    WD 80GB Raptor Drive Primary
    WD 250GB IDE Drive Secondary
    Creative X-Fi
    BFG nVidia 7800GS OC AGP

SYSTEM #2
    Unknown brand mobo/Athlon 2.2GHz
    768MB RAM (generic)
    no-sound card
    BFG nVidia 6800GT OC

Comment

im having the same sort of issue.

Ping shot up to 200 plus and the became VERY choppy (due to the lag). Check all the other pcs on are network and there not on. Checked what my machine was doing and that was doing nothing. SO got pissed off and left the game. and im downloading something now at 232kbps (im on aol 2mb BB). So im abit confused what went on there!

Comment

The issue for me is SpySweeper. Webroot's auto-update installed the newest version (5.something) and I installed last week. I uninstalled it. I am just so happy that multiplayer runs smooth again that I have yet to install it again and fiddle with the settings to see what may be causing the issue.

It's definately scanning the packets going through TCP/IP differently than previously versions were.

Are any of you guys running SpySweeper? Try uninstalling it and your problem may go away. Need concrete evidence.

Comment

Im running spysweeper, and have had these "mini freezes" in multiplayer only since about it started running the spysweeper trial....

Basically the freezes vary in frequency a lot.Sometimes they arent there at all, sometimes it freezes every 3 seconds for the first minute or so. Freezing for short time, fraction of second.

Except ive been having these mini freezes in multiplayer of varying degrees of annoyance since SF patch 1.12.

I think it has a lot to with punkbuster updates. When I had it worst (SF, 1.12 patch) a lot of people had same problem, then punkbuster might have fixed it to a degree. Probably another punkbuster update screwed us over again.

Comment

I've pretty much got the same specs as goldylox. Tried the full reinstall under another account yesterday and still the same lag. Tested internet speed and that's fine. Tempted to fire up the spare hard drive and only install WinXP, service pack 2 and BF2 onto it and see what happens. This i guess would rule out hardware problems, service pack problems, or the latest bf2 patch.

Looks like another late night. Still would like an answer from EA though as to whether the new patch is the problem. Would love to roll back to patch 1.22 but no servers run that anymore.

Could stop bitching and buy a new game to play but BF2 is so addictive.....Damn you EA

Comment

I will test my rig more. Probably spend another week at it.

I think it's safe to agree between us all that the issue is not hardware related or network (internet) related. Running XP without any background tasks (via msconfig) proves notwithstanding of a solution, so that leaves the only alternative as an EA software confliction - most likely Punkbuster, as suggested.

Funny how EA denies this as being their problem and referring people to their ISPs.

Comment

About a week ago the game was running fine and smoothly without any problems but starting about 3 days ago whenever i was in a game it would go smoothly and then it would go choppy for a brief second or two and then back to normal again! Its soo annoying and frustrating especially when ur trying to shoot at somebody...can somebody please offer some suggestions to my problem on how to fix it?

Thanks any suggestions would be appreciated

Originally posted by goldylox
                The issue for me is SpySweeper. Webroot's auto-update installed the newest version (5.something) and I installed last week. I uninstalled it. I am just so happy that multiplayer runs smooth again that I have yet to install it again and fiddle with the settings to see what may be causing the issue.

It's definately scanning the packets going through TCP/IP differently than previously versions were.

Are any of you guys running SpySweeper? Try uninstalling it and your problem may go away. Need concrete evidence.
                Omg yea same problem here whenever i updated my spy sweeper to version 5.0 the game started to freeze up for a brief second around every 10 minutes before that howeever the game ran smoothly all the time. I tried shutting down spy sweeper like closing it down and then running the game and still same problem, but yea i might just uninstall it and see if that works..ok thanks bye!

Glad i finally found somebody with the same problem as me :-)

Comment

Working...
                X