Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does better graphics = better game play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does better goraphics = better game play?

Originally posted by Hurricane.CAD
    I might turn down my settings to all medium save for distance things like Geometry and AA and AF (those last two don't really affect distance but I hate jaggies and smudgy textures).
    No, actually, geometry is one of the most important settings, beacuse it affects how soon things come in to view... like player models.

Like for examle.. when you are flying a jet, or heli, and everything is on low, you will notice, you can see the ground perfectly, and things on the ground and everything, and your draw distance is 100%, but geometry on low, but even though you see the ground, you need to keep getting closer to see the player models, and other things like vehicles... or any non-static thing on the map.

So I would suggest running geometry on high.

But yeah, I am capable of all high w/out AA, but I go medium, it looks the same, and when I finish getting footage i'm going to try 4x or maybe 6x

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane.CAD
      I might turn down my settings to all medium save for distance things like Geometry and AA and AF (those last two don't really affect distance but I hate jaggies and smudgy textures).
      Actually AF does help out the distance. It makes the distance cleaner so this allows you to see objects that are in the distance better. So this one can help for distance. Geometry is very important as well. Jaggies don't bother me as much.

Comment

If you play sniper at all, you will appreciate the higher resolution and frame rates. I can more consistantly hit long range head shots now.

And if you can't run with 100% view distance, you're giving yourself a HUGE handycap. You can't kill what you can't see, but what you can't see, CAN kill you.

Comment

The smoke effects were slowing down my ATI 9500 and I was getting killed from different kinds of slowness including shellshocks. Plus the fan bearing was wearing out and my system kept crashing. So I think it was worth it.

PCI-E + new motherboard isn't all that much more than AGP + old motherboard, and the only pain is reinstallation, so I said, it had to be done anyway and upgraded.

Comment

Originally posted by RMcLeod
            Does better goraphics = better game play?
            Only if your framerates is where the improvement is. If your K/D ratio is .25 with assault rifles, 100 fps won't help you get to 1.0 with better textures and geometry so don't do it for this reason.

Running all medium is almost the same as all high. You can only tell the difference when you stop and stare at the envioronments with nothing going on. Can't usually tell when you're in the sh*t and people are trying to kill you!

Comment

I can do well with 15 fps on a 800 x 600 screen but it sure isn't enjoyable. I can do very well actually.

I play this game for the enjoyment! And I dont get that when I play on settings that low. I reccomend a resolution of atleast 1280 x 1024...... 1024 x 768 is acceptable, but too low in my books.

PLay at 1280 and you can see a whole lot more stuff on the screen. Chracters are more crisp, and no jaggies everywhere.

If you have a chance, go to a good computer (if you have a friend), and install the game on their machine. the difference is NIGHT and DAY. Its the reason why Nvidia and ATI can charge over $500 for their new graphics cards. If they didnt make a HUGE difference to justify $500 spending every 3 - 4 months, then people woulnd't buy them.

and not only do people buy them, new cards are always SOLD OUT when they are first released.

PLaying games in high resolution and high quality graphics is just so fun.

Comment

I wish I had a worthy pc...oh well. I will convince myself more that if I had a better system I wouldn't have an advantage. I hate all of you! ;-)

Comment

I had a rig like yours and upgraded to a AMD4200 + 2gb or ram and 2 6800le in sli .

It opens up a whole new world , im still a carppy player though

Comment

imho not necessarily. so long as ur resolution is not absolute crap and it runs smoothly i really wouldnt care.

Comment

Originally posted by [rs]super
                      with every good player there is great equipment..........
                      lol i still use a ball mouse :laugh:

Doh im just an avarage player

Comment

Originally posted by elstonieo
                        lol i still use a ball mouse :laugh:

Doh im just an avarage player
                        Ball mouses ftw.

I upgraded my comp about 9 months ago and, damn, was it worth it. I can run BF2 on all high settings and AA on x4 and I get about 50+ FPS. on a regular pub server, on a server hosted near me I get upwards of 70. You will be shocked my friend, I know I was.

Comment

Re: Does better graphics = better game play?

Let this thread die already. Everyone knows that better computers play games better.

If you haven't had the privledge to play on a Nvidia 7900 GTX or ATI X1900xtx, then, go and try it out.

Its lag - free, beautfiul and much more precise.

Not to mention with a sound blaster x-fi sound card you can process MUCH more sounds that I could not hear before. I dont want to go into the details of it, but lets just say my accuracy per round went up a lot because on sound alone.

Comment

Re: Does better graphics = better game play?

Dude I can get framerates around 30 with my settings set to medium & geo turned on to high.

Plus, I'm only running on 512 MB of RAM. What video card? ATI Radeon 9550. It's old but it works. If you are going to uprgade, get a new graphics card first. But if you know that you are going to upgrade to PCI-E, then get the latest one from ATI (X1900?). All depends on your budget.

Comment

Working...
                            X