BF2 Freezes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2 Freezes

Allright this is what's going on. When I start a Map after loading it of course It freezes almost instantly sometimes i can play for a minute sometimes even a bit longer but eventually it freezes. This is really pissing me off. So I Formatted my whole PC.. did a complete fresh install of windows XP Pro Installed Bf again with patch 1.3 Full to see if that brings any luck.. Well guess what problem still occurs. Am now running Memtest to see if it's my memory.. well memtest is @ 1036% coverage and has found 0 errors yet. But here is the strange part when i play Prey at ultra high settings it play's smooth as butter. So like this can't be hardware related right??

Any help would be apreciated.

Don't mind the spelling i'm dutch.

Thx in advance

DT

P.S

System specs

AMD 3000XP
    NF7-S V2.0
    1024 MB 2 x 512 MB PC3200 Dual channel
    Geforce 6800 GT 256 MB DDR3
    MAXTOR 160 GB ATA
    MAXTOR 40 GB ATA

Re: BF2 Freezes

If this is only during your first log in and the next maps are fine, I think it is the period of time your computer is synchronizing with the server. Your throughput connection speed and ram will be the key to shortening that time. If it is every map then no idea.

Comment

It happens every single map and only with BF that's the weird thing..

I'm running Nvidia drivers 84.21 BTW

I have the latest Nforce drivers for my MOBO

Could it be harddrives? How can i test them does maxtor have special tools

Comment

Originally posted by -=[T.O.K]=-D_Twi
        It happens every single map and only with BF that's the weird thing..

I'm running Nvidia drivers 84.21 BTW

I have the latest Nforce drivers for my MOBO

Could it be harddrives? How can i test them does maxtor have special tools

youre not alone, mine has been doing this since this past sunday.
        ive reisntalled the game from version 1.0 to 1.1 and i dont lock up.
        ive got to install and test patches 1.2 and 1.22 yet but im guessing its something to do with 1.3 and the account server

Comment

http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/

its a seagate tool, but works for alot of other different drive manufacturers, i like it better than maxtors own powermax utility which you can get here http://downloads.maxtor.com/download...s/powermax.exe

its weird that prey is working without any bother, but i'd still say upgrade yuour graphics drivers http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

other than that, your gonna just have to pray that 1.4 fixes all these bugs we're having

Comment

Thx for the replies..

I'm gonna update my vid drivers to the 9XXX version see if that helps..

If not i'm gonna run that seatool to see if my HD's are broken.. But if they were i should not be able to play Prey now would I..:|:

Weird things are happening

Comment

Check your power options in the control panel and make sure nothing is powering down. If you are plugged in, let it all run constantly. (this is just a shot in the dark)

Simon

Comment

Installed new drivers for Graph card .. Nothing..still same freeze..
                I tried to run BF2 in a window.. that works.. It does not freeze.. but i cant move my mouse .. i can hear all the voices and commands and hear jets fly by.. even see the **** Kills **** messages.. But i cant move the mouse..

So in a window it does not freeze what does this mean??

About the power options in controll panel what do you mean?

Comment

go to START>CONTROL PANEL>POWER OPTIONS and make sure all the pull down menus say NEVER. Then hit apply (if you had to change them to never).

If you want a shot in the dark help, your BF2 folder in your MY DOCUMENTS folder may be the culprit. Try moving it and going into BF2. This will allow the game to create a new vanilla folder. If it starts working, your good. If it still has issues, replace your old folder back to where it was and know that it isn't at fault.

Simon

Comment

Allright i switched them to never..

I runned the Seatool and this is the outcome..

160 GB Maxtor

Drive Information:
                    SIZE MODEL
                    --------- ---------------------
                    163.9 GB MAXTOR 6Y160P0

Serial Number = Y46SQ85E
                    Int13 Num = 80, PHYS CHS = 16383x16x63.
                    ParmTable CHS, Rsvd = 19929x255x63

PARTITION CYLINDER SIZE
                    ---------- ------------ ----
                    # Type Start End MB
                    PRIMARY
                    1 NTFS 0 19928 163932

Diagnostic Results:

90-Second Test Result: Passed
                    Recommendation:
                    The "Quick Test" is adequate for most situations.
                    Consider running the "Full Test" which
                    verifies each sector on the drive if you need to run a more
                    comprehensive diagnostic.

SMART Status Check Result: Passed

S.M.A.R.T., (S)elf (M)onitoring (A)nalysis and (R)eporting (T)echnology, a built-in hard disk drive failure prediction method reports an 'Alert' if a problem has occurred. It reports 'Passed' if no problems are found and 'Unsupported' if a hard disk drive does not support S.M.A.R.T.
                    Full Diagnostic Scan Result: Passed

File Structure Test Result:

Partition 1 (NTFS (163.9 GB) ) Result: Failed with critical Errors

The following errors were found while scanning the volume:
                    - One or more errors were found in the index
                    - One or more errors were found in metadata file records

NOTE: Any report of possible errors in the file system tests are for
                    informational purposes only. We suggest you should consider testing with
                    the official file system diagnostic utilities for your operating system.
                    Seagate is not able to assist with troubleshooting or reviewing
                    file system test results.

40 GB Maxtor

Drive Information:
                    SIZE MODEL
                    --------- ---------------------
                    40 GB MAXTOR 6E040L0

Serial Number = E1NW4J4E
                    Int13 Num = 81, PHYS CHS = 16383x16x63.
                    ParmTable CHS, Rsvd = 4865x255x63

PARTITION CYLINDER SIZE
                    ---------- ------------ ----
                    # Type Start End MB
                    PRIMARY
                    1 NTFS 0 2431 20005
                    EXTENDED
                    2 NTFS 2432 4863 20005

Diagnostic Results:

90-Second Test Result: Passed
                    Recommendation:
                    The "Quick Test" is adequate for most situations.
                    Consider running the "Full Test" which
                    verifies each sector on the drive if you need to run a more
                    comprehensive diagnostic.

SMART Status Check Result: Unsupported

S.M.A.R.T., (S)elf (M)onitoring (A)nalysis and (R)eporting (T)echnology, a built-in hard disk drive failure prediction method reports an 'Alert' if a problem has occurred. It reports 'Passed' if no problems are found and 'Unsupported' if a hard disk drive does not support S.M.A.R.T.
                    Full Diagnostic Scan Result: Passed

File Structure Test Result:

Partition 1 (NTFS (20 GB) BACKUP) Result: Failed with critical Errors

Partition 2 (NTFS (20 GB) ) Result: Failed with critical Errors

So i do have errors in my HD's is this the cause for BF2 freezing up???

Any replies would be appreciated

DT

Comment

weird I am able to play Single player but when i try MP it just locks up WTF is going on here man.. This is F*cked up!!

Comment

The problem is almost the same as mine but mine is worse...my comp completely stall

Comment

If anyone has a solution then please post this is realy a Fckd up problem that seems to be spreading.. people with suggestions Speak!!

Comment

Originally posted by Raedean
                            The problem is almost the same as mine but mine is worse...my comp completely stall
                            I have the same probelm, than i got to restart my pc.

Comment

I was starting to think I was alone in my problem, until I saw this thread. My BF2 has been running fine, until last night. Whenever I start a game, after the map loads, about 20 seconds into the game my PC locks up. The HD activity light comes on and stays solid for about 30 seconds. After that, the PC is completely hard locked, I can't ctrl-alt-del, alt-f4, alt-tab, etc., I have to hard reboot.

Unfortunately, I'm leaning towards the conclusion that those of us seeing this problem have some HD issues. I will run that seagate diagnostic when I get home tonight. But generally, when you start seeing weird problems like this, you can almost always point to the HD as the cause. At least it's not the video card

Comment

Working...
                              X