Lighting setting: LOW, a cheat!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighting setting: LOW, a cheat!?

Capture on the left: when I turned Lighting to LOW. Shading on Right: Turned Lighting to MEDIUM.

Hm... No performance difference on my rig, but for some people with lower end rigs, they're playing the game with the graphics looking like on the left. Easier than heck to spot a player in that well-lit room. Meanwhile the guy playing with graphcis MAXED out is needed an extra 0.20 seconds to spot an enemy in dark rooms.

Those of you with higher end graphics cards have been warned.

This may be old news to you all, but.. I'm slow I guess.

I still play with the lighting turned on as otherwise it looks so... well, stupid.

Re: Lighting setting: LOW, a cheat!?

This is not a cheat. It is yet another way this wonderfull engine of BF2 was programed to perform. Not a big surprise considering that the engine was not aimed at low end machines and is not the best engine out there. They could have done better.

Comment

I was watching a friend of mine play on sharqi at the const site, I was amazed by how well-lit it was on his low end computer.

Comment

Not a cheat, IMO
        The thing is many HAVE to use the low setting as it is a big system hog.
        This being the case, if you want to even the playing field out or your a big stat Whore, yes you have to use low setting.
        I personally don't use the low setting because my system is pimp and the low setting looks lame.

Comment

I didn't seriously mean it was a cheat, I was being facetious. But it did point out to me how unequal the environment can be even within the confines of basic gameplay settings.

Oh one other thing is. This setting will have MINIMAL impact on the speed of anyone's gameplay even the lowest end supported cards. It adds something like 100k to 200k or so the memory usage of the video card. Translation: It didn't even need to exist. If you have less than 64MB on your card, go play Pong.

Comment

Originally posted by Dearmad
            I didn't seriously mean it was a cheat, I was being facetious. But it did point out to me how unequal the environment can be even within the confines of basic gameplay settings.
            Yes you right. But then again it is yet another failer on DICE's side. :laugh:

Comment

I went from Med to Low just to try it out. Looks like CS but I can see the advantage with the shading and lights plus the performance bump. I will turn back to Med like the look better and i dont need the help.

Comment

You cannot really call it a cheat or glitch because it is a setting the game was designed around. Be it as it may its not a manipulation of the game because you could also play with the brightness and gamma and get almost the same effects.

Suffice it to say that you will not know if the other player is using it and its a matter of choice if you want to use it. I play with all my settings on high with AA @ 6x and a resolution at 1280x1024 @ 70hz just to enjoy the graphics. And after seeing your screenshots I know anyone that uses it even though their system can support higher setting, well it just makes me a better player.

Comment

This is why if your in a clan, you set your settings to specific ones, depending on what you do. I have all my settings on low eccept 2. Im not saying which ones. I have a 4800X2 2 gigs of ramm and a x1900xt. I can max the settings out to but i play with low.

Comment

Originally posted by Dearmad

Oh one other thing is. This setting will have MINIMAL impact on the speed of anyone's gameplay even the lowest end supported cards. It adds something like 100k to 200k or so the memory usage of the video card. Translation: It didn't even need to exist. If you have less than 64MB on your card, go play Pong.
                    What are you gonna do? Not everyone has SLi Nvidia 7900 GTX's

Comment

This is kinda like what happens to me on CoD 2. If I play on my laptop with settings all the way down, farther bushes/grass doesn't render until you ADS. I get "OMG HACKER SEE THRU BUSHES!!1!!1111" alot .

Comment

on the right is your camo blue?

Comment

I play all high but bring my Gamma up a little to compensate for some of the darkest areas.

If/when I joing a BF2 clan, for competitive reasons, if I felt it gave me an edge I'd tone down the lighting effects, but just for matches. It does look rather harsh, for casual playing.

BF2 is actually one of the first games I've played where the graphics were good enough to be a fairly large part of the immersion process. It simply looks "real" on higher settings. I'm still a gamplay over grahpics person, but if both contribute to better game play it's nice to have it that way.

Comment

It's a cheat, anytime someone kills you...they're cheating.

Comment

like the guy said, if your in a clan you need your settings to be to your advantige, i have all my setting on high but lighting on low so i can see everywhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X