Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CTD Fix

Hi all,

This may be of some help to you. After the 1.3 update I was getting loads of CTD. So I complained to ea and they sent me back this advice:

----------------
    Please make sure that you have closed any programs or tasks running in the background as sometimes one of the programs can conflict with the game. Background applications such as anti-virus programs are often the cause of conflicts.

· Hold down the Ctrl, Alt, and Delete keys at the same time
    · Click the "Processes" tab.
    · Click on the gray bar in the middle column that says User Name to sort by user name.
    · Do NOT select anything for SYSTEM, LOCAL SERVICE, or NETWORK SERVICE.
    · Click on anything besides EXPLORER and TASKMGR for this User Name or other user names.
    · Click on END PROCESS
    · Repeat these steps until only explorer.exe and taskmgr.exe are open for this user profile.

Also, please try to limit the BF2 application to only one CPU Instead of two which is the default value on your PC. To do this by using the task manager, select the Process Tab and searching for the BF2.exe process, right-click it and select 'Set Affinity ...' there deselect every checkbox except of the first CPU, CPU 0 and click 'OK'.
    --------------

Since I've made the CPU change and rebooted the game hasn't CTD once in around 2 weeks. Much better. Oh and I do only have 1 cpu so I've got no idea why it was defaulting to 2, that may be a common problem that not many people will notice on their own systems.

Comment

Originally posted by BothXP
      Hi all,

This may be of some help to you. After the 1.3 update I was getting loads of CTD. So I complained to ea and they sent me back this advice:

----------------
      Please make sure that you have closed any programs or tasks running in the background as sometimes one of the programs can conflict with the game. Background applications such as anti-virus programs are often the cause of conflicts.

· Click on the gray bar in the middle column that says User Name to sort by user name.
      · Click on anything besides EXPLORER and TASKMGR for this User Name or other user names.
      · Click on END PROCESS
      · Repeat these steps until only explorer.exe and taskmgr.exe are open for this user profile.

Also, please try to limit the BF2 application to only one CPU Instead of two which is the default value on your PC. To do this by using the task manager, select the Process Tab and searching for the BF2.exe process, right-click it and select 'Set Affinity ...' there deselect every checkbox except of the first CPU, CPU 0 and click 'OK'.
      --------------

Since I've made the CPU change and rebooted the game hasn't CTD once in around 2 weeks. Much better. Oh and I do only have 1 cpu so I've got no idea why it was defaulting to 2, that may be a common problem that not many people will notice on their own systems.
      yea thats the usual bumpf game companies tell you to do.

Comment

Originally posted by 3lite
        2GB for the win!
        pft im greedy 3gb ftw and no ctd's no other problems with the patch apart from the randomly appearing Connection lost

Originally posted by BothXP
        Hi all,

----------------

· Click on END PROCESS

--------------

hmm wouldnt that disconnect anyone connected via an adsl modem/wireless (will close the client program if any). firewalls that people might use?

Comment

Or just use the Esc button...

Comment

I'd just rebuilt my system after the mainboard fried so I'd got virtually nothing installed on the system. So I didn't bother with the first stuff but making the cpu change on the bf2.exe did completely stop the CTD that I'd been getting constantly (well every couple of games).

Scinto - Your modem/wireless/firewalls etc should be running as either system, local Service or Network Service - don't close any of those. You should only look at the processes which are running under your username. At the end of the day if you kill a process by mistake which is really important then you'll just need to reboot.

It's the first time EA support have come back to me with a fix that really did sort out the problem. Now if DICE could just sort the server side crashes out .....

Comment

Working...
            X