Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The End of Competitive Play in Battlefield 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The End of Competitive Play in Battlefield 2?

Code7, a premiere Battlefield 2 clan, and current World Tournament champions, have finally called it quits for 8v8 matches, citing EA's failed ability to listen to the community:

"Playing on a high level requires vast amounts of time, and if the developer constantly attempts to destroy all that is appreciated, all motivation is quenched. This has happened to such a degree that it is no longer possible to keep playing at the level the clan has set out to play at."
    http://www.gametv.fi/codeseven/

Arguably Battlefield 2's top professional team's departure is proof of the growing void between EA/DICE and a majority of the community, and it seems the latest patch is the catalyst for many players to simply stop playing Battlefield 2. While I have not completely quit Battlefield 2, I loathe EA's constant 'patching' that adds features and removes features months after the release, wreaking havoc on strategies employed by clans and distorts all the skills that people have learned based on the previous version of the game.

On a side note, I'm sure you have seen Code7 in action, as their latest claim to fame "Duck and Cover Redux", showcasing Redux's exceptional skills both in infantry and the solo-helicopter. If you haven't, watch it, it's an excellent video :

http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68537

Re: The End of Competitive Play in Battlefield 2?

Wow, that sucks.

Comment

Yes, we heard.. over and over again.

No offence, but if you cannot be flexible enough to adjust to a few changes in gameplay, then maybe you were not really being competitive and were just glitching and exploiting. These self-serving "Hey look at me" announcements just sounds like arrogance to me, and you still wonder why some public people think clanners are arrogant.

Once it stops being about fun, the it should be time to go. Just don't jump up and down and point fingers while you do it.

Comment

I'm fairly ignorant to clan play but I can see why theyre leaving with EA trying to remove cheap ass and anoying tactics like chopper soloing, gl whoring squad hoppig, dolphin diving and watever else they can to win clan play is about doing anything it takes to win and to me thats boring. The clan matches I have seen involve 80% of the team being anti tank and using the rocket on everything. So if thats clan play I dont want to do it anway. And nothing in the world anoys me more than one guy taking the chopper and being both gunner and piolit because he wants all the points.

To be fair I do like a certain type of squad hopping though not the kind that clans use. I'm talking about squad leader swaping everyone remains in the same squad but the leader is frequently switched ive found this helps a squad stay together. But hey i can learn to live without it.

Also worth noting is the fact that EA instead of removing these various exploits from the game they could have made them options so clan play could stay just how it is without disrupting us pubbers.

Comment

EA and Dice don't care what happenes to the players, they already got their money. Also, Kurtis, please think about what you just said. Squad hopping was just a way to keep the game play smooth and flowing - not an exploit.

Comment

Couldnt care less if code7 play at high level or not. The fact they quit doesnt effect the community much at all. If it does effect you, then im sorry to hear that. Anyhows, the majority of people play the game for fun.....where slight changes in the game throw a little spice in your life. I know i enjoy it. Recnetly if it all goes dark I know to run like f**k coz a humvees gona land on my head.

Im sure i could have structured my arguement a little better but its late and im drunk.

Comment

Originally posted by KurtisMayfield
              No offence, but if you cannot be flexible enough to adjust to a few changes in gameplay, then maybe you were not really being competitive and were just glitching and exploiting.
              Yeah sorry, but adjusting to BUGS and mess ups in the game is pretty hard. We're not talking about decreasing accuracy for a gun, and changing the way a car handles. We're talking f**** ups in the codes. No way to really adjust for that one.

I'm tired of all you smarty pants saying "adapt adapt, a well placed round could..blah blah blah" The game should work right.

Comment

Wah wah wah... who really cares? I wouldn't call them the majority of the community. I'm assuming they're crying that their exploits are gone, but if they could only win using exploits, then they really weren't that good. I never used the exploits so the game is pretty much the same to me except now with worthless car drops that are really only used to drop on tanks or snipers. Neither of which I've seen actually do any harm yet. I never knew them and I won't miss them.

Comment

It has nothing to do with arrogance Kurtis, it has to do with competition. Unless you have played in a ladder league it's hard to understand. The changes are fine, as long as they are implemented as OPTIONAL not as the be all end all of the game.
                  I don't for a minute think that poeple think "cl;anners are arrogant", in case you haven't noticed "clanners" pay for about 50% if not more of the Ranked servers that you pubbers play on, they are the ones that make the communities like this one for you to post on. For you to say that is more of an insult than an observation. It's all the changes that has so many people discouraged. You said it yourself, onece it stops being fun, it really is time to go.

Comment

fcuk competitions. you guys are way too serious

(jk jk jk)

Comment

Hard to have a competition if nearly every round the server crashes...

Comment

Originally posted by AP_piano295
                        To be fair I do like a certain type of squad hopping though not the kind that clans use. I'm talking about squad leader swaping everyone remains in the same squad but the leader is frequently switched ive found this helps a squad stay together. But hey i can learn to live without it.
                        I agree with most of what you said except for above... I don't mind squad hopping unless players join, spawn, leave then create a new one so others can spawn, leave, create etc until the whole team is on the island... But if a couple of players join to assist the squad take/defend a point then move to another squad to do the same, I think this is a fairly good tactic... sort of floating support if you will.

Squad leader cycling as you have described I think much more of an exploit of the squad system. The inherent advantage of having 1 player being the spawn point is directly offset by the opponents ability to kill that player and remove the spawn point threat.

As most others here have said... whine whine whine... I am sorry but 8v8 is a crappy way to play this game... You can easily tell by the design that it was truely meant to be played by many more people to work as a team. There is a reason that the smallest map is 16v16.

You want to see compition, try a 32v32 battle... THAT takes teamwork!

Comment

The last time I played in any kind of competition we faced nothing but c4 Chucking that totally destroyed us in the battle.

After a patch that removed the C4 chucking, we had the pleasure of seeing that team get destroyed in a future game according to the scoring.

It is my opinion that people and teams pick up teamwork skills based on what works and what does not work. This game is NOT competition material and anyone who tried to hold a contest are simply fooling themselves and the only thing that matters is inflicting enough deaths on the opposite team fast enough to run down the tickets and win.

Next time, how about pernament death competitions?

Comment

Originally posted by Harmor
                            Hard to have a competition if nearly every round the server crashes...
                            True that... I have not seen much of these problems... only one server has crashed while I was on it.

I totally agree that EA IS responsible for stability and performance issues above all others.

Comment

ok dokie. The changes are adaptable, although I have heard a lot of whining from players who just don't think they can handle the changes made.

It's still a fun game, but it certainly has slowed down the pace in matches. Played a 5v5 last night and it was boring a few times, waiting for the other team to regroup and run back to the action. And it sucked when we had to do the same. But we managed and made it through the match just fine.

The competition end of it is dying, many teams have dropped from CAL for lack of participation from their members, people just don't want to play it anymore. Not necessarily because of 1.3 and it's headaches with CTD, but from previous patches and things that they should have fixed by now and haven't.

I still play it, but not the way I did a few months ago, maybe it's just getting old, or maybe it's because summer is here and I want to do other things

Cya Code7, never heard of you so I wouldn't argue you were the best, but hey if you want to gloat.... go for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X