I might be buying the alienware area-51 m550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I might be buying the alienware area-51 m550

like the topic syas, i might be buying it today. i like alienware because they are laptops, and offer the monthly payment. anyone have it that can tell me how many frames you get?

ps. im typing this at school.

Re: I might be buying the alienware area-51 m550

dell makes good gaming laptops too. you should check them out - more bang for your buck. with alienware you pay for the name.

Comment

Does dell have monthly payment plans? Thats the best thing and the reason im getting alienware.

Comment

i would just try to save up - with monthly rates - you pay interest.

Alienware[money-rape]SiLeNTrigger

but to answer your question - DELL does do monthly rates

Dell provides technology solutions, services & support. Buy Laptops, Touch Screen PCs, Desktops, Servers, Storage, Monitors, Gaming & Accessories

Comment

Yeah I agree with troybob. You def want to avoid monthly payment plans if at all possible. When you finally pay it off, you will have paid quite a bit more and your PC will be out of date.

Comment

Aleinware's are very cool! BUT, there not worth the money whatsoever!!!!

I went through DELL, I customized my machine to match the top alienware at the time....when I got it, I downloaded alienware's OWN "Compare your system" software and ran my DELL against their top machine....and this is no joke - My DELL was "100%" compatible with their top machine using their software.

So far - I have had my DELL, which cost me 1/2 THE PRICE,and I have NEVER, EVER, had one problem with it in the almost 3 years now that I have owned it.

My specs:
            OS=XP PRO
            Intel 3.2 Hyper Thread
            Seagate 7200 RPM HD
            800 FSB
            BFG TECH 6800GS OC getting 98 FPS in BF2 Straight out of the box! - Obviously bought later, but started out with the ATI 9800 PRO which on medium settings got me 60-80 FPS on BF2.
            RAM = 2 Gig Cosair DDR - started out from DELL with 1 gig of their ram which isn't bad ram either.

Would I recommend DELL? You better believe I would. My next one I want to build myself, but if that was not the case I would DEFINITELY buy DELL again!!!

Comment

you might as well build one. i think newegg lets you pay monthly when you buy the parts. not sure though.

Comment

Rule of Credit #1.

Never finance a depreciating asset.

A computer, much like a car, is a highly depreciable asset... Drive a car off the lot and its worth 20% less, use a PC for 2 weeks, same thing... Save until you have the cash to pay for it.

The list of things where financing is acceptable is very short.

Ready?

Here's the list.

1. Real Estate
                2. See # 1.

There ya have it, everything else should be paid cash for and if you cant afford it, then guess what.... you cant afford it and shouldnt have it.

Comment

you might as well build one. i think newegg lets you pay monthly when you buy the parts. not sure though.
                  Last I checked New Egg does not sell Laptop Parts to build it yourself.. desktops sure thats how I built all of mine

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx
                    Last I checked New Egg does not sell Laptop Parts to build it yourself.. desktops sure thats how I built all of mine
                    well yea thats what i meant. if your gonna be gaming, im assuming dt parts are cheaper for better performance?

Comment

I would like to say these things..

-DUDE YOURE GETTING A DELL
                      -Alienware laughts as you pay 500% markup for their cool stickers
                      -newegg.com and some effort can build you a devastating system for less than any other ..provided you have no use for broad warrentys, and have your own OS install

Comment

Never borrow money to buy an asset that depreciates as fast as a computer system. By the time you've paid it off, it'll be worth next to nothing, and you will have paid a great chunk of the system's price on top as interest.

Laptops aren't all that great for gaming because the components most important to a gaming rig (CPU and GPU) can't be upgraded easily...and even when you can upgrade them, the parts are usually much more expensive than the comparable parts for a desktop.

I built a gaming rig for my wife for $400 with parts from Tiger Direct...3GHz CPU, GeForce 6600GT and 1GB RAM. Factor in the 19" LCD for $170, and she got a capable gaming rig for under six bills...no payments. It's not an Alienware, but it's good enough for running BF2 on medium/high settings.

Comment

I have nothing new to add, but agree with what's already been said. As nice as Alienware's are, they are way too pricy for what you get. You tend to pay anywhere from $500 to $1000+ more just to get an Alienware than any other brand with the same specs. The only difference is the case, which in my opinion isn't worth the extra money.

Either way, congrats on the new system.

Comment

Originally posted by FSK300
                            Never borrow money to buy an asset that depreciates as fast as a computer system. By the time you've paid it off, it'll be worth next to nothing, and you will have paid a great chunk of the system's price on top as interest.

Laptops aren't all that great for gaming because the components most important to a gaming rig (CPU and GPU) can't be upgraded easily...and even when you can upgrade them, the parts are usually much more expensive than the comparable parts for a desktop.

I built a gaming rig for my wife for $400 with parts from Tiger Direct...3GHz CPU, GeForce 6600GT and 1GB RAM. Factor in the 19" LCD for $170, and she got a capable gaming rig for under six bills...no payments. It's not an Alienware, but it's good enough for running BF2 on medium/high settings.
                            your wives a gamer?

Comment

Good advice all. I am definitely in the dont borrow money for a laptop crowd as well. ESPECIALLY if it is more than say 1000 bucks. That interest will get ya!

You really have to pay some serious money to get a really decent laptop for gaming ($2000+++). Do yourself a favor and just save up for a desktop.

Comment

Working...
                              X